Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Two cents on cross fit wanted ? page 4

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    To the OP: do you have to pay by the individual workout? If so then increasing the number of times per week may not have been a recommendation made in your best interest.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    If I give you two cents on crossfit I'm gonna need some change.

gt1cm2 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I read this whole thread. There are good pro- and con-arguments for Crossfit here.

My POV:
    --I've Crossfitted for 3 years and never gotten injured.
    --The beauty of the WODs is that they can be scaled. There's no way, at age 56, 5'2" and 108 pounds, that I'd be able to do some of the WODs at the RX weight. That's okay with me. I do the best *I* can do. Seeing the higher RX weights up there motivates me to do as much as I can.
    --I Crossfit 4 times a week; one of those times is with an Olympic weightlifting coach, and another is with a powerlifting coach.
    --(I also do PBF move-frequently-at-a-slow-pace.)
    --I have never puked, nor have I ever suffered from rabdo. The only time I've known anyone at my box to puke after a WOD was a friend who has acid reflux (I wish I could get her to go with PB eating!) I've never known anyone who's suffered from rabdo, and I've been a fitness "freak" my whole life.
    --Any of my coaches can explain the methodology behind any of the WODs. They also make sure we all use proper form, and make us scale down/don't let us continue if there's a chance for injury. (That's just smart business.)
    --Crossfit is not for everyone.
    --Crossfit is not for everyone. (Repeated for emphasis!)

To the OP: I'd suggest you add in one WOD per week and see how you feel. Because the WODs can be scaled, you can always do additional WODs for technique improvement and go with lighter weights and/or don't worry about your time--as you see fit. Go with what works for you!

Second that, great advise.

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I read this whole thread. There are good pro- and con-arguments for Crossfit here.

My POV:
    --I've Crossfitted for 3 years and never gotten injured.
    --The beauty of the WODs is that they can be scaled. There's no way, at age 56, 5'2" and 108 pounds, that I'd be able to do some of the WODs at the RX weight. That's okay with me. I do the best *I* can do. Seeing the higher RX weights up there motivates me to do as much as I can.
    --I Crossfit 4 times a week; one of those times is with an Olympic weightlifting coach, and another is with a powerlifting coach.
    --(I also do PBF move-frequently-at-a-slow-pace.)
    --I have never puked, nor have I ever suffered from rabdo. The only time I've known anyone at my box to puke after a WOD was a friend who has acid reflux (I wish I could get her to go with PB eating!) I've never known anyone who's suffered from rabdo, and I've been a fitness "freak" my whole life.
    --Any of my coaches can explain the methodology behind any of the WODs. They also make sure we all use proper form, and make us scale down/don't let us continue if there's a chance for injury. (That's just smart business.)
    --Crossfit is not for everyone.
    --Crossfit is not for everyone. (Repeated for emphasis!)

To the OP: I'd suggest you add in one WOD per week and see how you feel. Because the WODs can be scaled, you can always do additional WODs for technique improvement and go with lighter weights and/or don't worry about your time--as you see fit. Go with what works for you!
    Third this as well.

On a side note, I've been having to try REALLY hard to not jump in on this topic, because OP seems to enjoy Crossfit, as do I, and I was pretty pissed when this turned into a "Why I hate Crossfit and think it's bullshit" thread. People will think I'm too thin skinned or whining or whatever, but part of why I stay behind the scenes on this forum and in others is that there is a certain pretentiousness in the fitness world that makes all of us collectively look like assholes. We're on the same team here, right guys?

Quick Edit: Initially I did Crossfit three times, now I'm up to four and occasionally five per week. I listen to my body. When I'm hurting, I take a break.
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I go four times a week. Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. I think there's a bit of a push to go 6 days a week, but I NEED the time off! I also do roller derby training twice a week, and all up I think that's enough for my body (bear in mind, 12 months ago I wasn't doing any more than walking...).

It may be different for someone younger... and while I try never to think in terms of age stopping me from doing something, I do TRY to be aware that my body MAY need a little more recovery now than it did when I was 20 (I'm 40 next month).

Edited to add... when I first started CrossFit I went three times a week (M, W and F) and did that for about a month.

I think you have to do what feels right for YOU! I would go from 3 to 4 times a week if you want to see how you go, but I wouldn't jump from 3 to 5 straight away.
    Last edited by Iron Fireling; 04-07-2013 at 11:06 PM.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think for any fitness activity, be it Crossfit or walking, you are the only one who can determine how much you can take. If at three days a week, you are getting the benefits you desire, why change? If you feel you need more, go more. If 3 days works great, why worry about how often others go?

We got into this on the Insanity thread, but ultimately YOU are in charge of your fitness and keeping yourself injury free. Let common sense guide you. For example, we did Wall balls on Sunday. I can't do wall balls quickly as they hurt my knees unless I go slow. So no, when the instructor sets a goal of 40 a minute, *I* won't do that. The girl next to me did. Our bodies are different. I deadlifted more than her.

Hopefully in group fitness situations, you have a good instructor that understands everyone performs at a different level. But you also have to have the common sense to dismiss their instruction if you know it does not pertain to you.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

quikky is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaserBD04 View Post
    On a side note, I've been having to try REALLY hard to not jump in on this topic, because OP seems to enjoy Crossfit, as do I, and I was pretty pissed when this turned into a "Why I hate Crossfit and think it's bullshit" thread. People will think I'm too thin skinned or whining or whatever, but part of why I stay behind the scenes on this forum and in others is that there is a certain pretentiousness in the fitness world that makes all of us collectively look like assholes. We're on the same team here, right guys?
    So you think it would be better if no one disagreed with one another, and we would all march to the same band, so to speak?

Part of the reason I go to forums is specifically to hear other opinions, even those I might really disagree with.

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    So you think it would be better if no one disagreed with one another, and we would all march to the same band, so to speak?

Part of the reason I go to forums is specifically to hear other opinions, even those I might really disagree with.
    Not at all, but this wasn't the thread for that. OP probably doesn't mind but if I'd posted that same initial question, where I clearly enjoyed a certain workout and was merely asking for opinions on frequency, the last thing I would want is a three page discussion on how what I felt was working pretty good for me was trash.
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

quikky is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaserBD04 View Post
    Not at all, but this wasn't the thread for that. OP probably doesn't mind but if I'd posted that same initial question, where I clearly enjoyed a certain workout and was merely asking for opinions on frequency, the last thing I would want is a three page discussion on how what I felt was working pretty good for me was trash.
    Sure, the thread was not exactly about what we all think of CrossFit, but it was related in the sense the OP was asking about higher frequency and injuries, and my opinion was more general. Realistically though, almost all threads spawn off side discussions. I mean, how many threads are there with multiple pages that stay precisely on the original topic?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay, folks, I finally weighed-in, and here is the results for scaled X-fit inspired workouts (same reps, lower weight and no time constraint) and 5x5 lifting (what I could manage weight as well)

5x5 (2 months), SW ~ 120 lbs, LBM ~ 99 lbs; 2 month 5x5 (did it before, came to the end of linear progression) bulked up to 132 lbs, 107 lbs LBM

X-Fit Inspired: SW ~ 129 lbs, 102 lbs LBM. ~ 1 month. End weight: 135 lbs, 105 lbs LBM

In both cases, eat to satiation, some minimal cardio. So, in my case, slow heavy lifting is more doable and puts on more muscle mass. In all likelihood it is because I am not athletic, so X-fit is too much above my head. Bummer, I really liked X-Fit style workouts.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast