Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Two cents on cross fit wanted ? page 3

stormcrow is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Basically, CrossFit is perfectly appropriate for the general public as long as they don't.actually.do.CrossFit
    Appropriate scaling doesn't mean you are "not doing crossfit". By that logic running a 5K isn't running because it's not a marathon.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Do you know what intensity they're meant to be done at? Obviously if you decrease the intensity enough and remove time constraints, recovery will not be an issue. I can run marathons almost daily without recovery issues because I scale them down to 2.62 miles.
    Absolutely. IMO one should do what's interests them and doesn't cause injury and over-training. The goal is to get healthy, not to wreck one's life. Again, just in my humble, the valuable part of cross-fit is how it strings exercise together, the selection of movements and rep ranges, how it shifts focus and alleviates workout boredom. Scaling down is a perfectly good concept and you can get all the benefits of working out 3 days on/ 1 off with a great variety and challenging moves. I simply look up how many rounds the elite cross-fitters posted for each day and repeat the average of their reps. Usually takes me about 2-3 times longer, but I am not claiming to be an athlete of any degree. Just someone who likes keeping as fit as she can be. Better gifted people would get kicks from competing at the goal level. I am perfectly fine with calling it Leida's Workout, not Cross-Fit.
    Last edited by Leida; 04-05-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Appropriate scaling doesn't mean you are "not doing crossfit". By that logic running a 5K isn't running because it's not a marathon.
    No. By that logic, running a 5K isn't marathoning. It's running a 5k.

Greg Glassman didn't invent Power Cleans or Muscle Ups. CrossFit is a program. If you're doing something other than the program, it may be good, but it isn't the program. Drop the weights, change the order, change the spacing, and you're doing "CrossFit-influenced circuit fitness." Which is fine if it fits your goals. But it's not CrossFit.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am perfectly fine with calling it Leida's Workout, not Cross-Fit.
    +1. Of course this doesn't mean you can use Leida's Workout as a data point to make the argument that CrossFit is appropriate for the majority of people (not saying you were, just making a point).

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Never have understood the whole Cross Fit thing. I will stick with 531 and running hills. God I hate running hills but love the way it makes me feel.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Well, I guess, I just pointed out under which conditions Leida WODs did not lead to over-training. FWIW, I recovered quicker from those sessions of 50+ of everything much faster than from 3x5 and 5x5 schemes, and was able to carry the insane amount of reps workouts on the 3 on, 1 off schedule as posted, while the best way I could maintain heavy lifting schedule with comparable recovery was 1 day lifting/2 day recovery. Unfortunately, with my injury, I can't yet tell if the rep-mania resulted in the muscle growth which is my goal (and a reason I went after the rep-mania stuff).

I would also want to make a general point, that in my view, in fitness it is important to customize the workout, no matter which one. You ,and only you know what you can and cannot do and how much is enough. And that only by trial and error. Even in a group fitness setting/class, even with a PT, you know the best, and you are ultimately in charge. (off the soap box).
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

stormcrow is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    No. By that logic, running a 5K isn't marathoning. It's running a 5k.

Greg Glassman didn't invent Power Cleans or Muscle Ups. CrossFit is a program. If you're doing something other than the program, it may be good, but it isn't the program. Drop the weights, change the order, change the spacing, and you're doing "CrossFit-influenced circuit fitness." Which is fine if it fits your goals. But it's not CrossFit.
    So no one at any Crossift box is doing crossfit unless they are doing the RX weight? How do you expect people to start? Crossfit has scaling built in.

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    He might have been referring to the posts indicating that most crossfit 'boxes' don't even follow the WOD from crossfit HQ...

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    So no one at any Crossift box is doing crossfit unless they are doing the RX weight? How do you expect people to start? Crossfit has scaling built in.
    The problem is not following the HQ programming and methodology, not exact weights.

The whole "CrossFit is scalable to everyone from 9 to 90" thing is a load of crap and further proves my point that CrossFit has no structure. Let me give a concrete example:

Suppose a WOD calls for doing box jumps, alternating with 225lb deadlift for 10 reps. I think there was actually a WOD like that a while back. Now, suppose you have two people, one with a 300lb max deadlift, the other with a 500lb max deadlift. They both can do the WOD as prescribed. Did they both do the same workout? In terms of number of reps and weight used, yes, but not in terms of intensity. The person with the 300lb deadlift had to work a lot harder to do the same workout, and thus will produce a different adaptation, and will need a different recovery protocol.

Proper scaling is not just scaling down because you can't do a certain exercise or use a certain weight, it's also about scaling up to get the proper intensity that a particular workout is supposed to be performed at.

Does HQ address this? No. Does HQ explain how to scale it, i.e. is the deadlift supposed to be approximately a 10 rep max, or is it supposed to feel light? No. That's exactly the problem, there is no reasoning behind this. If there is, it's been kept secret because I can't find it.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    My Crossfit schedule has been 3 times per week, now the schedule will offer our time slot 5 days a week everyone is on board for the five days a week however, I have reservations about getting burned out or injured ? What are your thoughts ???
    Thanks
    I read this whole thread. There are good pro- and con-arguments for Crossfit here.

My POV:
    --I've Crossfitted for 3 years and never gotten injured.
    --The beauty of the WODs is that they can be scaled. There's no way, at age 56, 5'2" and 108 pounds, that I'd be able to do some of the WODs at the RX weight. That's okay with me. I do the best *I* can do. Seeing the higher RX weights up there motivates me to do as much as I can.
    --I Crossfit 4 times a week; one of those times is with an Olympic weightlifting coach, and another is with a powerlifting coach.
    --(I also do PBF move-frequently-at-a-slow-pace.)
    --I have never puked, nor have I ever suffered from rabdo. The only time I've known anyone at my box to puke after a WOD was a friend who has acid reflux (I wish I could get her to go with PB eating!) I've never known anyone who's suffered from rabdo, and I've been a fitness "freak" my whole life.
    --Any of my coaches can explain the methodology behind any of the WODs. They also make sure we all use proper form, and make us scale down/don't let us continue if there's a chance for injury. (That's just smart business.)
    --Crossfit is not for everyone.
    --Crossfit is not for everyone. (Repeated for emphasis!)

To the OP: I'd suggest you add in one WOD per week and see how you feel. Because the WODs can be scaled, you can always do additional WODs for technique improvement and go with lighter weights and/or don't worry about your time--as you see fit. Go with what works for you!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast