Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Diva's Journal: From FMP's to VFF's! page 2

batty is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    ohhh, i am loving the pictures you are posting with your entries. so lovely! i do think once you start feeling better after initiating the PB lifestyle, the self confidence starts oozing out of you and coating everyone else around you enjoy your adventure sunday! i am jealous!

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Diva View Post
    Wild smoked salmon on a sheet of toasted nori, sprinkled with flaxseeds, with enough cream cheese to seal it into a “burrito” of sorts.
    This. Sounds. Awesome. I love nori. I love seaweed in general. Must Make. And ITA with you on the 'like' button

I also went over to the dark side. People on MDA have advised me that I should check out FitDay.
    Let me be the lone dissenting voice Spurred on by our endearing Beef Cake, I finally decided to give DailyBurn.com a try. Much better than sparkpeople. MUCH better than fitday. Fit day is forever screwing up the nutrient values on foods that I add. And it's lame to look at. No interest. My favorite nutritional analyses come from NutritionData.com. It's amazing. However, tracking portion of the UI sucks dirt. It's awful. Not intuitive. Slow. A total pain. I ocassionally head there as it's one of the few places I can find detailed nutrient analysis (ie fatty acid ratios, vitamin k, potassium, selenium etc)

Meet...TOWANDA!!!

This is my new workout buddy. Isn't she cute? Yes, I knitted the sledgehammer cozy myself.
    Realization that according to Murphy's Law, it will probably start on Girl's Weekend, when I will be camping.
    Menstrual cup to the rescue! (though I realize this is a bit late and you've probably already been camping.

ww-clothpads-org&#95.jpg

http://community.livejournal.com/men...s/1285963.html

Climbing: My boss finally gave me that HOUR on Friday (Which I asked for a MONTH IN ADVANCE)off. Girl's Memorial Weekend Adventure(opal mining in Nevada) is a go! I need to dust off my rake and find a big hat.

Got turned down for private health insurance. Agent thinks it might "have something to do with my BMI." My cholesterol (borderline high) probably doesn't help.
    You're on the way though. Things are a changing in that department. Keeping your vitamin d optimally high (see my links below), making this the produce based diet that it is (see below) and all of the other things you're doing will change this around quickly. Making sure you get enough magnesium (in conjunction with the potassium from produce) will help insure that your bp stays fantastically optimal (d does that too).

And go read batty's journal if you're not already doing so. Holy Inspiration, Batty!
    It seems I have found the secret ingredient.
    My unintentional 24 hour fast (with one cup of coffee with cream somewhere in the middle) seems to have been the key for me.

Guh orgeous. Absolutely beautiful. What a guy!

I think I have fallen into the trap of "too much protein, not enough veggies." So I grabbed lots of rightly colored veggie options.
    So easy to do. But you have a plan. The point is, you have a plan. And you're acting on it!

One interesting experiment- eating guacamole using beef jerky in place of chips works surprisingly well- and it's yummy, to boot!
    Sounds delish. I'm going to make beef jerky today. Someone posted Alton Brown's recipe..... looks fab.

Adventure Sunday
    Explain to me this 'Adventure Sunday'. I might have to institute this. We often fail to plan activities andwell, it's just no fun then.

I grabbed my VFF's, and changed into jeans, and we headed out exploring in the direction of Point Reyes.

It was an amazing feeling, actually. I could feel the coolness and the texture underneath my feet ...snip....
    *note to self: head to abbadabbas to dry on the VFF's already*

Awesome picture!

They are still bugging my pinky toes, more on the right than the left. I think it has to do with the seam between the rubber and the neoprene.
    My feet are seriously wide. No, really. Freakishly, abnormally wide. Much like little bricks. Hope they fit...but chances aren't good. There's only one keen shoe that fits me - and that's after I cut two of the straps o_O se, beef and pumpkin. It was amazing. I had ordered steamed veggies with it to replace rice, but ended up packing up most of it to take home.

During the last 10 months, I have gained and lost the same three lbs.
    No more potatoes when eating out

As the evening went on, I got the munchies. I blame the sugary Thai tea. As time goes on, it's easy to see how my cheats derail my progress, no matter how small they are- even if they fall within the 20%. [/QUOTE]

Yup. Some of us just don't have that much latitude. It hit me pretty clearly looking at picks of Cindy Sisson. She shoots for about 2000 cals daily and quite frankly works out a lot. Lifting a lot of heavy stuff. With a personal trainer. Her RMR is definitely higher than mine. And she lifts more heavy stuff more frequently. I can't eat as much as she does. Period.

Keep up the good work. You can definitely do this. You ARE doing this.
    Last edited by cillakat; 05-23-2010 at 08:32 AM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasno View Post
    The MDA forum needs to take a hint from "that social networking website" and offer a "like" button.

Bosco doesn't happen to be a chocolate lab?
    Aww, thanks guys! I too, am a fan of the "like" button on the "Social Networking Website That Must Not Be Named."

Bosco, alas, is not a Choccie Lab. It would probably be more appropriate if he was! (We have two dogs, both named after retro beverages.) Bosco is actually a black and white pound puppy of dubious parentage- and he is the Best Dog Ever, aside from a strange compulsion to raid the garbage on occasion. We're pretty sure he's Border Collie, mixed with something HUGE, as he is a big boy at 90 lbs.

Here's a humiliating picture of him wearing reindeer antlers:

Eek, I need to get the hang of quoting a bunch of people (I am still new to this here thang!)

ohhh, i am loving the pictures you are posting with your entries. so lovely!
    I am glad you guys like the pictures- The Man is a photography*cough*...we'll be polite here and say "nut". He is very excited I am letting him take pictures of me. Before I started PB and my skin cleared up, taking pics of me was Not Allowed. I will pass your kind words on to him.

Explain to me this 'Adventure Sunday'. I might have to institute this. We often fail to plan activities andwell, it's just no fun then.
    Adventure Sunday is pretty much a serendipitous thing: The Man and I are both homebodies, we moved to the Bay Area almost two years ago, and about a year in, I had, um....a tantrum. It went along the lines of, "We never go anywhere, we never do anything, we live right by AMAZING stuff and all we do is watch TV and go to the same stupid chain restaurants. WAAAH!"

So we decided to institute Adventure Sunday. We skip a Sunday every now and then, and there are days like today, where we have to abandon Plans A and B and go with C. We try to plan one delicious restaurant we haven't been to (with the help of yelp.com) and then an "activity", like a hike or a museum or something. I am just glad we are venturing out and exploring, and it definitely keeps our relationship on its toes, so to speak! We're discussing pulling ideas out of a jar, but we usually try to take turns and at least come up with a jumping-off point. Also, there are no tantrums allowed, as it is an Adventure, and therefore, you just take randomness in stride and move on. (It has been necessary to invoke this on a few occasions!) So far, it has been working pretty well.

My feet are seriously wide. No, really. Freakishly, abnormally wide. Much like little bricks. Hope they fit...but chances aren't good. There's only one keen shoe that fits me - and that's after I cut two of the straps o_O
    I think you might be able to go with the Vibrams- I was shocked at how adjustable my Sprints were. The straps on the back of the heel really made a difference!

Menstrual cup to the rescue! (though I realize this is a bit late and you've probably already been camping.
    Hehehe- I am all over that (ironic that my handle is Primal Diva!) Camping is actually not until this next weekend, and I am glad that I showed up on Mother Nature's timetable last week, because it was Not Fun when she showed up late to the party.

Thanks for all the great comments guys! I think I answered everything- hope so at least
    Last edited by Lady Grok; 05-23-2010 at 05:38 PM.
    With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

Good old Adventure Sunday!

This weekend, The Man had friends in town from Southern California- all photographers. They wanted recc’s for a cool place to meet up for breakfast. So, of course… back to the same place as last week.
    After breakfast (yes, I ordered the same thing as last week) we all headed over to the Marin Headlands to take pictures.

The plan after that was to head into S.F. for either Carnivale in the Mission District, or to the Spreckels Temple of Music in Golden Gate Park for an Armenian dance/music/costume concert thing.

We paid the $6 bridge toll, and headed to Golden Gate Park. By the time we “might” have tracked down the place where the Temple of Music was (guessing was the best we could do after checking the internet, calling information, and asking passersby, including mounted police officers!) the parking situation was just impossible. I am glossing over at least an hour of driving around, lost.

The Man said, “Well, what now?” And I crabbed, “I WANT TO GO HOME!”
    We invoked our rule about it being an adventure, and decided to drive until something caught our eye.

As it turns out, that something was the San Francisco Zoo.

The S.F. Zoo is beautiful. Chaffee Zoo (in Fresno, our old stomping grounds) has more animals and more variety, and of course, it’s bigger. However, it doesn’t butt up against the ocean! (Lucky S.F. animals.) We agreed that this zoo was prettier, the animals were more active, and it smelled much less like a zoo than we were used to. The Man got some great shots:

I should mention that the outfit I am wearing in my pictures was too small on me for awhile. It's now snug, but it fits!

So, since this is the blog from Sunday: here are the goals for the week.

1. Better, more quality sleep. A sleep mask and earplugs will be called into play. The Man has been put on notice.

2. Hydration! A pitcher of cold-brew tea needs to be in the fridge each night before bedtime.

3. Vitamins: I have my vitamin D, multi-vitamins, and krill oil. The next step- actually taking them.

4. Exercise: I think my sleep getting sorted out will help me have the time to exercise. Poor Towanda took most of the week off this week.

5. Eat More Fat! Self Explanatory.

Eating wasn’t fantastic today, but considering that it was Adventure Sunday, not too shabby:

Breakfast: Bacon, eggs, potato cakes (I know, those need to disappear.)

Lunch: Crappy salad from Quizno’s. Lettuce, ham, chicken, blue cheese, a teeny smidge of ranch, and I tossed the pita and tomatoes that were on top. I ended up going next door and having a frozen yogurt- Tart plain flavor. Hey…it could have been much, much worse.

Snack: Dark chocolate dipped almonds with sea salt, and tea with coconut milk.

Dinner: Back on the wagon with brussels sprouts, plenty of butter, and grass-fed lamb shanks.

Calories: 1,935
    Fat: 132g (61%)
    Carbs: 97g (19%)
    Protein: 95g (20%)
    Calorie deficit? 2601 calories burned
    With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Spinner is offline Senior Member
    I am wondering if Bosco could be mixed with Belgian Shepherd--they are a big, black shaggy dog. Had one back about 20 years ago and he was HUGE!!! Enjoying reading your journal
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

We are originaly from Oakland. I love seeing all your pics of the Bay area! Keep em coming.

You look great and I enjoyed reading your journal. one of these days I'll start one!

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    I've been continuing to use spark people, I just adjusted the "goal ranges" for my macronutrients to be a bit more primal. (I set the max fat grams at 999, haven't hit that yet)

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    hey PD, Just wanted to let you know that I did get the VFFs and am loving them. I really don't like being barefoot - crumbs on the floor etc - so this is perfect. How've you been?

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Spinner: He just might be- I looked the Belgian Shepherds up online, and aside from the ears, he looks very similar. He's a very intelligent and sensitive soul- and LOVES to herd anything that moves.

My Name is Prince: Thanks! We've been exploring quite a bit, and are enjoying the process.

Moonablaze: That's right- didn't think of that! Maybe I will have to see how much I can tweak it.

Cillakat: I am so glad you loved them! I know, I haven't been around- covering for my absent boss at work, and then just got back from a 4 day trip where we had no internet access: Opal mining in the wilds of the Nevada desert. And I lived in my VFF's the whole time! Everyone seems to notice my "funky shoes".

I'll have to update here soon! It's going to be a crazy week, hopefully sometime tonight!
    Last edited by Lady Grok; 06-01-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast