Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Grand Wizards of Science page

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member

The Grand Wizards of Science

Primal Fuel
    Americans are obsessed with science.

I'd like to take a moment to point out that science is a religion in the USA. We encounter it every day in these long discussions on the internet. People will shout out "you have no proof, show me the science!". Let's bring out the witchdoctor to settle it, they exclaim! Human intuition, instinct and common sense are subordinate to science in the Western hierarchy of values. That's not to say people are consciously aware of this, values are instilled from a young age, and every sane person in the USA values science.

Science however, is now the puppet of industry.

Thus I'd suggest giving thought to a few things:

A) You aren't going to be able to make sense of anything now, not using science as a guide. "Science" is now a form of propaganda. It influences the attitude and behavior of the masses by selectively presenting the results of some myopic study as "science", thus being thought impartial and indisputable. Americans worship science, so if you control science, you control their behavior.

B) Science is a tool to cause confusion and thus paralysis. This is somewhat the same as point (A) in that it can be used to control behavior. The "science" will always contradict itself depending on who funded it. It will then be parroted on the internet by pseudo-intellectuals who have no idea what it means, if it means anything, which is probably doesn't. The masses, being rightly confused by all the contradictory findings, will give up trying to figure out what's up, thus continuing with what they were doing, thus preserving industry profits.

C) If you think you are going to bring about industry change thru "the truth being revealed thru science", which is funded by industry, that's absurd.

D) The grand wizards of science are the ones who brought you margarine, the genetically modified soy bean, and modern farming techniques. Thus even if "science" were actual science, and even if science were not the dog of industry, and even if science were not the main propaganda tool of the government/corporations...perhaps it just isn't that great. [idea]

Just some early morning thoughts while sucking down my "artery clogging saturated fat" heavy cream latte...cheers.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Not one in 100 Americans has a clue about what the scientific method entails--how it is we know what we know.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Your criticisms are extremely valid. But it's not science that you're criticizing, it's the bastardization and misuse. The only method of determining the way the universe works remains formulating and testing hypotheses by manipulating a single variable at a time.

But it's a sad state right now. I have high hopes for organizations like NuSi though. Maybe the people can take science back.

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    At its base you're really criticizing capitalism but some of the points are valid...i didnt start primal bc of science, i started it bc of common sense.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    I wish Americans were obsessed with Science. Science education in this country is embarrassing compared to the rest of the developed world and only 40% of Americans believing in Evolution is a national disgrace.

The bottom line is there is good science and bad science. People "do science" so it will never be perfect. The Scientific Method is designed to act as a fail safe. If you want to criticize and critique science you have to have at least a basic grasp on the fundamentals though.

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    The OP is quite confused between what is science and what people claim to be science. These are very different things, usually. There's also junk science which is also quite popular.

In any case, I'm not quite sure what the alternative to science is. My "intuition, instinct and common sense", for example, all tell me that the Earth is flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumifer View Post
    The OP is quite confused between what is science and what people claim to be science.
    I'm actually not confused though. But yes, the bastardization of science by industry is the problem in the USA.

More interestingly though, I would suggest the worship of real science is a problem too. In my travels around the world people often comment how Americans are obsessed with science. It's a bit odd to be so obsessed with something, in my view.

...just some morning thoughts while drinking my heavy cream latte.

People who think Americans are obsessed with science don't know much about Americans. Most Americans I know think science is nonsense that can be overcome with enough wishful thinking.

^ That's because people in Portland smoke a LOT of pot.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    ^ That's because people in Portland smoke a LOT of pot.
    You are thinking of people in the other Portland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast