Thread: Tom B-D's Whole 30 and beyond journal page

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member

Tom B-D's Whole 30 and beyond journal

Shop Now
    April 1 start date...hmmm...well, I'm not feeling like a fool for jumping into Whole 30. I went Primal in February of 2012, and have been at least 80%, probably more like 90% most of the time, though in the winter I started having more wine and chocolate (80-90%). I never feel the urge for breads or pasta, and really sweet things (cakes, cookies) are a turn-off I've lost weight, stabilized energy levels, gotten leaner and stronger, all the good things you read about on the success stories, though my weight crept up from a low of 173 (late summer) to about 177 (winter); still good for a 6'-2", 48-year-old guy, though I wouldn't mind losing that last bit of jiggle-on-the-middle.

I have a loving wife and 2 great kids, a boy, 10, and girl, 8. Our boy has cystic fibrosis, so low-inflammation diet is to be desired, but so are rampant calories (the clinic wants a really high BMI, which is tough with CF digestive issues). Since my wife and kids didn't go Primal with me, there has been some strain in the family with multiple meal preparations, and worse, my implied condemnation of the grains and sweets they would eat (I learned to shut up). But coming back from spring break, having spent time with friends whose kids are doing well on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet due to digestive issues, my wife decided it was time to jump in and see how it would benefit our kids. She wanted to go beyond Primal and do the Whole30 since she suspects our daughter might do better without dairy. She's also a go-for-broke gal when she decides to do something...

We took the kids shopping last night so they could help choose veggies and fruits (and nuts and meats), which we think helps them get on board. Breakfast this morning was bacon, eggs, avocado, and cantaloupe for my wife, son, and me (I had apple instead of melon actually), and salmon and strawberries for our daughter (who doesn't like eggs or melon). Off we go! With gratitude to NomNomPaleo for the great recipes.

I weighed in at 177.5 this morning and am not going to check for 30 days (as instructed...though I'll be tempted!). I have some slight nagging elbow aches, I think due to a lot of pull-ups a few days ago (from NYC scaffolds, thank you spring break and Al Kavadlo), and some tightness in the hips, I think due to having walked many miles on NYC pavements; it will be interesting to see if these aches go away during the next 30 days. I plan to train pretty hard now that spring is here and I can get out more. I usually sleep soundly, but over the last week or so I've been waking up during the night; I can fall back asleep pretty easily, but will be interested to see how sleep goes on the Whole30 as well.

Day 2: Yesterday I was quite hungry at lunch, had a big burger patty sauteed with garlic, ginger, zucchini, and a little curry powder, along with a lot of cauliflower, then half a banana. Good dinner too, but I was run down last night, I think due to the minor head cold we got on our travels. Wife had a nasty headache last night (caffeine or carb withdrawal?), better this AM. I had another night wake-up, didn't last long. Our son the former sugar fiend woke up very energized--I'm hoping kids react quickly to the W30 benefits! Daughter had a breakfast of ham, pears, almonds, orange juice...yay!

Day 3: great workout yesterday in the sun at lunch(45F outside but I still had the shirt off), yet more burger for lunch in the form of Bolognese sauce over cauliflower. Roasted chicken dinner enjoyed by all, and looking forward to the soup from its stock tonight ! Kids woke up energized; wife had calf pain which I remember when I first ent Primal--kind of like a cramp. Head cold still nagging daughter and me, but mild symptoms. Overall, hunger seems less noticeable, and I realize that the wine and chocolate were bloating me somewhat. I really like the simplicity if W30.

Day 4: the cold is finally abating, thankfully. Never got too bad--low inflammation diet, anyone? Had carnitas last night ( and today for lunch of course) with guacamole and lettuce wraps. Also bean-less minestrone with ground turkey...guess that isn't minestrone at all but tasty! So grateful the kids are going along with it all, as I already see benefits: mood etc. though it's early to generalize. Well I did cheat: got on the scale this morning and was down a pound. Probably meaningless but it felt good to see. Heading home to BBQ some chicken for the fam.

Days 5-6: the wife and kids hit the carb flu, and the attitudes show it! I'm trying to encourage them to stick it out (we all know it's worth it!), and it seems to be working. Meanwhile I"m feeling great and sleeping better.

Through Day 8: a bit more pushback from the kids, but overall success. Daughter ate the steak and green beans last night like she really meant it...hungry I guess! Everyone's snacking a bit more (nuts, fruit), but that's how I was when switching to Primal. I also got the book It Starts With Food, which I must say is excellent. I love the explanation of the psychological aspect of our food relationships (cravings) coupled with the hormonal aspects. Mark talks about this too, so it's reinforcement more than new info, but spelled out in good detail.

Jump to day 18: in a rhythm at this point, and the others seem over the initial adjustment. I may be looking for it, but I think our kids' attitudes are better, with less griping and anger over little things through the day. Here are my revelations: I was using wine as a relaxer and a sugar fix. I would reach for the glass as soon as I came in the door from work (hungry and sometimes stressed). Now that I see that, I can think about getting a full meal on the table first, or relaxing in healthier ways. The chocolate thing is interesting. They say we cultivate our desire for sweets, and overall mine has diminished, but it's not gone. If my body's messages are true and natural, it may just be telling me to get some fruit. Seems like that has to be the origin of the desire for sweets. I've been having lots of apples, occasional bananas, pears, strawberries. Spring is here, and the fresh ones are coming in! Sleep has been great--no more wake-ups in the night like I had been having, and I now crave the sleep come 9:45 or so. TMI alert: sex drive is up too.

Past day 30, and I better write up a summary before I forget. Probably the biggest challenge was maintaining the kids at social functions--and we didn't succeed entirely. Maddening how pizza and cookies are practically unavoidable. I have a natural tendency to rebel (and Primal is brilliant because it allows the occasional rebellion as part of the way), so I also had that to contend with during the 30. The biggest benefit is that the kids got into a new eating pattern that doesn't include sugary sweets for snacks and dessert, nor pasta or breads for meals. Boxed mac and cheese will never enter the house again. I lost about 2 lb.s, but think I've lost body fat and/or gained muscle--I see more definition/vascularity. As mentioned before, it was a consciousness-raiser first and foremost; by eating totally strict paleo (plus no alcohol), you become aware of how and when you want the non-paleo items, and that was a good learning experience