Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gotta quit doing this crap. page 2

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    I'm not a fan of 80/20. Recognizing the 20% as food, and therefore eating it occasionally, just creates a constant battle. Food is available in the environment, but you are attempting not to eat it. I don't view the 20% as even being food, and never eat it.

It's easier because there is no constant decision making/choice involved, you just don't eat it. No more than you would eat say...poop, for example.
    This.

Hit the nail on the head.

yogi19270 is offline Junior Member
    How long did it take you to break the 80/20 rule. Im in week two and im struggling.... my head is doing back flips, just had easter (that was a battle) i seem to get through to Friday night then BOOM.... I don't go for it all weekend but i do enjoy sitting back having a couple of vodkas (sugar free lemondade, sugar free lime) with my hubby, the downside to this is the sugar cravings start to go.
    If i have dark chocolate in the house, i tend to eat half if not all the bar... and its not the body wanting it...its the head!!!
    How do you stay on track with family/friends occasions?
    I have been on diets for years and yo yo'd worst was after my body building stint for 2 years, the body did not like that and took about 4 yrs to recover. My head alot longer..... this is the first time i have not itched or bloated for years, however its the head that is doing the damage....

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    This makes me think of an interesting thing I read in Gary Taubes' book.

He said when you even start THINKING about a high carb meal the body starts secreting insulin, and insulin makes you fat. Therefore just thinking about chocolate makes you fat. LOL, may as well eat it at that point! Hence why in my view 80/20 is more work than 100.

For me I decided on Jan1 that I would not eat a grain of rice (I live in Asia), a piece of bread, a drop of milk, a grain of sugar, for all of 2013. So that was that, those just aren't foods now. And let me say, not eating rice in Asia requires some thought/planning.

A few tips: don't ever bring anything into the house that isn't paelo food. Even if you allow certain foods like a chocolate bar don't bring more than one into the house at a time. If you go somewhere already have a plan of what you are going to eat before going out, or eat before you go. Bring a bag of almonds on the airplane, etc. In my experience not having a plan means ending up eating what's available. Eating what's available in many environments means eating pure garbage. Also keep lots of satisfying high-fat foods you enjoy in the house; like chicken fried in butter with a sweet potato or whatever you dig...so there are things you CAN eat instead of focusing on what you can't.

It is really easy once you get the swing of it.

GroksRoyalewCheese is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pk79 View Post
    Eating super clean for half the week, then eating super shitty for the weekend. Makes Mondays hell. And Tuesdays.
    I do the same sometimes. I'll keep it primal all week, then maybe friday afternoon, and saturday I'll throw down on some pizza, or some starchy shit like potatoes. I get 2-3 hard workouts a week though so it usually doesn't manifest as bodyfat. My colon sure hates me for a day or two though

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    All or nothing is a good strategy for quitting a lot of things. I do allow myself a serving of pasta or bread one day a week. A serving as in about 200 calories. So far it hasn't led to any binges. And amazingly, I haven't had a po'boy in about two months.

Clear spirits are my weakness. If they weren't such a life destroyer, I'd stay hammered always.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

pk79 is offline Member
    I'm game for a support thread. This thread would only be active Friday- Sunday, though. Monday through Thursday, we'd all be feeling awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    +1

We gotta start a support thread or something........

Julie
    boom.

pk79 is offline Member
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    Weekend...talk about Spring Break... +3 pounds :'(
    boom.

pk79 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    I'm not a fan of 80/20. Recognizing the 20% as food, and therefore eating it occasionally, just creates a constant battle. Food is available in the environment, but you are attempting not to eat it. I don't view the 20% as even being food, and never eat it.

It's easier because there is no constant decision making/choice involved, you just don't eat it. No more than you would eat say...poop, for example.
    I gotta say though, I think the 80/20 rule is pretty important IF you can keep with your 20. I understand exactly what you're saying by saying "you just don't eat it," and I used to agree 100% with you, until I had the bounce back that many low carbers have. You don't want it, you don't eat it, and then for some reason, your brain just switches and one bite of a piece of bread throws you into a 6 month sprint of ice cream and pasta and brownies and pizza and rice and oatmeal and fruit loops and croissants. Call it weakness, call it non compliance, call it whatever you want, but there comes a day when your brain rejects eggs and bacon for food and will only accept an almond croissant.

Whereas the "20" of the 80/20 basically means you can keep that piece of your life in tact and not have to worry about doing that. It also means that your "20" could consist of oatmeal or a slice of sourdough, instead of chocolate cake.

And god knows I feel better when I eat clean, but chocolate cake is a freaking happy place.
    boom.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    do your food shopping on Friday night/Saturday morning and plan your weekend food the same as you plan your week day food.

that's the key for me to stay healthy at the weekend.

whenever I run out of good food I always crave the bad food.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by pk79 View Post
    You don't want it, you don't eat it, and then for some reason, your brain just switches and one bite of a piece of bread throws you into a 6 month sprint of ice cream and pasta and brownies and pizza and rice and oatmeal and fruit loops and croissants. Call it weakness, call it non compliance, call it whatever you want, but there comes a day when your brain rejects eggs and bacon for food and will only accept an almond croissant.
    Maybe your problem is trying to do this as a low carb diet. Why not try doing it as a moderate carb diet and see if that changes anything.

I went through about a month where breakfast was usually a sweet potato and a large chicken breast, no fat added. Lunch was chicken and vegetables, no fat added. Dinner was meat, vegetables and potato, no fat added. This really was different. I pretty much lost all desire for treats and sometimes I barely wanted to eat. It was quite liberating. It was a fun experiment. I'm eating more salmon again these days but thinking of going back to the chicken again. It's pretty cheap and convenient.

tl;dr: try something different, try more starchy veggies and protein and less fat and see what happens.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast