Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this meal replacement shake good? page

Kaminokamen is offline Junior Member

Is this meal replacement shake good?

Shop Now
    Hey! I'm still learning about everything primal/paleo, and today is officially my first day and it sucks! I live near a 7-11 and rely on them for snacks and meals a lot! Anyway, I bought this meal replacement shake a few months back and haven't used it much, so I'd like to know if I should start using it.

Nutrition Facts:
    Calories: 200
    From fat: 30
    Total fat: 3g
    Sat. fat: 1.5g
    Trans fat: 0g
    Cholesterol: 60mg
    Sodium: 120mg
    Potassium: 200mg
    Total carbs: 17g
    Soluble fiber:5g
    sugars: 3g
    Protein: 25g

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Your goal should be transitioning to eating whole food. What are the ingredients? I bet it reads like a chemical factory inventory.

Okay, let's see:

Protein blend(Whey protein concentrate, Milk protein concentrate, whey protein isolate) Carb blend(maltodextrin, cellulose gum, oat bran, resistant starch, fructooligosaccharides, xanthan gum, carrageenan), creamer (partially hydrogenated soybean oil)

I should probably stop there, there is nothing whole about it, I think. And the hydrogenation is probably the worst thing huh. Welp, thanks!

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    There ain't no such thing as a "good meal replacement shake" :-)

Junk it and go find some meat to put on a stick :-D

...and 7-11 is not really a good source for snacks and meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumifer View Post
    There ain't no such thing as a "good meal replacement shake" :-)

Junk it and go find some meat to put on a stick :-D

...and 7-11 is not really a good source for snacks and meals.

Lol, yeah, well what about the ad for the Primal Fuel?? And yeah, that's why I'm doing this lifestyle change. I depend too much on bad food, and right now, it's tough, but it'll get better, I just need to figure out some new ideas for snacks on the go!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Depends on your goals and how you handle the carbs, but I would rather have used a whey/casein/egg protein blend instead, but that's me...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Depends on your goals and how you handle the carbs.
    Well, my goals are just to get rid of the bad stuff and eat better. I am doing it for weight loss, but moreso for a lifestyle change so I won't end up loing weight and going back to how I am now after I become healthy.

As for how I handle carbs, how do you mean? I don't understand how I am supposed to handle carbs, I guess.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaminokamen View Post
    As for how I handle carbs, how do you mean? I don't understand how I am supposed to handle carbs, I guess.
    If eating carbs means your blood sugar goes whacko, that's not handling carbs well.

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    If eating carbs means your blood sugar goes whacko, that's not handling carbs well.
    Typically if after eating carbs you get really hungry again in a couple of hours or so -- and if you don't eat then you get fainting spells -- that means "not handling carbs well".

Being more wide than tall is also a common consequence of "not handling carbs well" :-D

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaminokamen View Post
    Well, my goals are just to get rid of the bad stuff and eat better. I am doing it for weight loss, but moreso for a lifestyle change so I won't end up loing weight and going back to how I am now after I become healthy.

Many people get blood sugar fluctuations and crashes, and they feel that they runs out of energy too soon. This is especially the case with faster carbs like white bread, sugar and white rice etc. Slow absorbing carbs are usually better, but some people react to them as well...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast