Thread: BCAAs--How much should I take? page

diene is offline Senior Member

BCAAs--How much should I take?

Primal Fuel
    After reading some old threads regarding BCAAs (specifically, some of pklopp's posts and an article he linked to), I've decided to only take them post-workout and not before. I recently started taking 10 g within 45 minutes of CrossFit. According to a recent Bod Pod assessment, I have approximately 103 lbs of lean body mass. Is 10 g enough? I haven't noticed any reduction in muscle soreness.

Also, I think I've come up with a pretty good recipe for a palatable (good, even) BCAA concoction. Melt some coconut oil, then melt a third to half a square of 100% cacao (unsweetened) chocolate in the CO, and stir. Stir in the BCAAs. Add a smidge of maple syrup. Stir some more. Eat with a spoon. It actually tastes good. The chocolate masks most of the yucky BCAA taste.

sandstone is offline Member
    I thought one of the major applications for BCAA's was to allow you take them pre-workout and remain in a fasted state as per Leangains recommendations. If you take them post workout in a mix wouldn't you be as well using a whey or whey isolate?

Personally I take 5-10g about 30 mins before a workout on an empty stomach.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I'm taking BCAAs because I thought BCAA supplementation is supposed to help muscle recovery and reduce delayed-onset muscle soreness. Not sure if whey does the same thing. I've read some stuff about how free amino acids are better, but I've also read other things that say peptides are better than free amino acids. The reason I'm inclined towards BCAAs is because I eat plenty of protein; thus, I don't think I need to consume more protein in the form of whey. I'd much rather eat flesh. But BCAA supplementation seems to be a more targeted approach--allowing you to just take a few grams of amino acids that are especially helpful for recovery.