Thread: Question about when you give up dairy for acne page

Grok'sMom is offline Junior Member

Question about when you give up dairy for acne

Shop Now
    Hi All, new here. I've been primal since 2011 and look at MDA almost daily, but have never posted to the forum, so please be gentle.

I've been doing some research on why, at 33 years old, I have acne and patches of dry skin. There's lots of information about how dairy can affect you skin so I'm thinking of giving it up temporarily to see if it helps. The question is, if you've given up dairy to improve you skin and gotten great results, did you have to give everything up or just cut back?

I normally use some Kerrigold pastured butter when cooking breakfast and dinner, maybe a 1/2 cup of full fat Greek yogurt, a whole milk latte, and some goat cheese or blue cheese on my salad. Would I need to give this all up, even down to the butter, or has anyone had success with just cutting out some types of dairy?

Thanks for any help or suggestions. Any dairy-acne related success stories?

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I think your best bet would be to cut it from your diet for a pre-determined amount of time (I'd say at least 3 weeks). Then add back in just the yogurt. If that goes okay, try the butter, too. Or just try one thing at a time. There may be certain forms that are problematic for you. Butter is not enough to bother me, but I can't have dairy in any other form without a lot of gas!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Grok'sMom is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the reply. Also, would goat's milk be considered dairy in this sense? It is just dairy from cows or all milk products from all animals that affect acne?

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    4-legged ruminants produce dairy as milk. goat milk has lower levels of casein than does cow.

i'd cut all of it for at least a month and than add back fermented products and see what happens -- yogurt, kefir, hard cheese.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    My experience was that it took 1-2 months for my acne to go away after quitting dairy. I tried several times to reintroduce it, and it never mattered what kind it was - cow, goat, grass-fed, yogurt, cheese, raw milk...any kind caused the acne to return (though it took several weeks to reappear), and cutting it out again always led to it disappearing again. Your situation may be different, so there's no way to tell what you can tolerate without just experimenting.