Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Soooo....what do you do when you don't want to count anything?!!! page 4

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I guess it depends what you call a "language." I'm sure cavemen had a series of grunts or verbal signals, but I'm talking something structured - modern language has a dictionary with definitions of words. That's pretty recent.
    You're right about dictionaries being recent, but complete languages with eerily similar grammatical structures to ours are much less recent and quite certainly existed for much of the Paleolithic.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    The point I'm trying to make is that neolithic inventions are almost always overwhelmingly good - automobiles, showers, supermarkets, water filtration systems, homes, HVAC, electricity...the list is infinitely long.
    I wasn't arguing your point (although one could argue about how great some of those things really are if they wanted to). That's why I admitted it was a nitpick.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You're right about dictionaries being recent, but complete languages with eerily similar grammatical structures to ours are much less recent and quite certainly existed for much of the Paleolithic.

I wasn't arguing your point (although one could argue about how great some of those things really are if they wanted to). That's why I admitted it was a nitpick.
    I agree, Rich. Beside the point or not, saying they didn't bathe or use language is false and should be clarified, so that people who don't know any better don't read it and think, "well cavemen were dumb and didn't know what was good for them, so why should I do anything they did?" Cavemen certainly had sophisticated language with rich vocabularies and complex grammar, the whole shebang. Frankly, I thought the whole "dumb brute" idea regarding paleo man was a thing of the past. The fact is that they ARE us, Homo sapiens, in every way except technology.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234