Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coconut oil? Please help a newbie out.... page 3

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Olive oil is NOT great for cooking, but can be used safely raw. Coconut oil is much better to use for cooking...

Unfortunately I don't like food cooked in coconut oil . I don't like the flavour it gives.

miata is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    Olive oil is NOT great for cooking, but can be used safely raw. Coconut oil is much better to use for cooking...

Unfortunately I don't like food cooked in coconut oil . I don't like the flavour it gives.
    My wife has the same problem. For her we use refined instead of virgin.

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    I believe that coconut oil can withstand higher temperatures than olive oil, so it is better to use coconut oil when cooking, and olive oil as a garnish (drizzle, or dressing). I personally like the expeller pressed coconut oil because the flavor is not as strong. I'm not a big fan of coconut flavor in my food. Although the thought of chicken cooked with a bit of coconut oil sounds good.
    Last edited by PBNewby; 04-10-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    I like to munch solidified coconut oil as a snack.

fatlapcat is offline Junior Member
    I buy coconut oil (refined) in a tub - I think it's called Pacific Coconut from Samoa - and use it for all of my savoury asian-style cooking as it has such a high smoke point, browns things really nicely and carries other flavours well without adding it's own flavour.
    A favourite recipe (which I'm doing tonight) is chop up a load of semi root vegetables - I use pumpkin, swede, carrot, onions, cauliflower - into 1.5 inch cubes roughly, add fennel seeds, cumin seeds, salt, pepper, a good shake of turmeric and and good shake of chilli pepper. Heat your oven to about 180 C and put a roasting tray in with a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil (more or less according to how much veg you have). Once the cocnut oil has melted toss in your veggies and roast until tender - about 30 - 40 mins depending on your oven. delicious hot but also wonderful cold the next day, tossed with mixed greens pumpkin seeds, a bit of feta, olive oil and balsamic vinegar as a scrummy salad.

Enjoy!!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I use coconut oil for all my heavy-duty stir-frying, or anything I need to cook longer than 10 min for. At the moment, this is only for my potatoes.

Otherwise, I use EVOO for light frying from low to medium-low heat and for fewer than 10 minutes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123