Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil? Please help a newbie out.... page 2

MN_John is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The Coconut Research Center website has a ton of information on the benefits of coconut oil.

I personally use refined coconut oil (even though Mark recommends against it) as it imparts no flavor and its smoke point is higher. If you use olive oil for cooking make sure you use the refined variety as well. Heating an oil beyond its smoke point denatures it causing it to become unhealthy.

Use extra virgin olive oil for drizzle. I personally use extra virgin coconut oil as a food supplement and don't cook with it.
    ================
    Is your cave located in Minnesota? Join the "Paleo Friends - Minnesota" group on Facebook. We can always use Paleo friendly restaurant finds and tips.

beaubutterfly is offline Member
    thanks guys!

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    WHAT!!!!! Lard is hydrogenated?????
    I have been buying Lard since starting Primal and consuming a lot of it
    I have checked the label, its states its ingredients are pork fat but does not state how it is rendered.
    How do you know if its hydrogenated???

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    Ok so the brand Allowrie, the one I use, is not hydrogenated PHEW!

prince is offline Junior Member
    I think in some ways coconut oil is better in taste.

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    I've just done a roast chicken, first time with coconut oil. Mmmmm, lovely, hardly noticeable just really lovely flavour of chicken. I'm gonna need a bigger jar ...

miata is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_John View Post
    The Coconut Research Center website has a ton of information on the benefits of coconut oil.

I personally use refined coconut oil (even though Mark recommends against it) as it imparts no flavor and its smoke point is higher. If you use olive oil for cooking make sure you use the refined variety as well. Heating an oil beyond its smoke point denatures it causing it to become unhealthy.

Use extra virgin olive oil for drizzle. I personally use extra virgin coconut oil as a food supplement and don't cook with it.
    Bingo!

Wal67ter is offline Junior Member
    the flavor sure beats out olive oil when frying an egg!

MN_John is offline Junior Member
    This is where I purchase my coconut oil from, its half the price I've found else where, food grade (the virgin is also Certified Organic). Be sure to get the 76 degree (the 92 degree is hydrogenated). The 7lb sizes come in narrow mouth plastic pour bottles, but of course it won't pour at room temperature so you have to warm it up to get it out. I warm the bottles in a double boiler on very low heat, trying to keep the temperature below 100 degrees (so nothing leaches from the plastic. Its heavy duty plastic but never the less...). I then pour the now liquid coconut oil in to a Rubbermaid container, where it is then spoonable for daily use.
    ================
    Is your cave located in Minnesota? Join the "Paleo Friends - Minnesota" group on Facebook. We can always use Paleo friendly restaurant finds and tips.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_John View Post
    This is where I purchase my coconut oil from, its half the price I've found else where, food grade (the virgin is also Certified Organic). Be sure to get the 76 degree (the 92 degree is hydrogenated). The 7lb sizes come in narrow mouth plastic pour bottles, but of course it won't pour at room temperature so you have to warm it up to get it out. I warm the bottles in a double boiler on very low heat, trying to keep the temperature below 100 degrees (so nothing leaches from the plastic. Its heavy duty plastic but never the less...). I then pour the now liquid coconut oil in to a Rubbermaid container, where it is then spoonable for daily use.
    That Columbus supplier looks great. Only a shame they don't ship overseas. Great price on the EVCO too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast