Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PaleoMom's Diet Recovery page

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member

PaleoMom's Diet Recovery

Shop Now
    I don't plan on posting a ton, but wanted a more appropriate place to put updates about how this is going for me. I'll edit this post later and put more details about what I'm doing and trying to accomplish.

I'm 5 weeks in today. I weighed in at 146.4 ( a new high) and my waist at 78cm (also a new high). I had been excited about my temp being .5 higher than what it was last month but today forgot that halfway through last month I had switched from the digital thermometer (reads lower) to the glass one. That makes me .2 higher than last month if I'm lucky.

My appetite had dropped off a cliff when I started my period and still hasn't really come back. I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough now to get my metabolism up further. My morning temp was 97.9-98.2 for the cold half of my cycle and now I'm just past ovulation and it is back up to 98.5. Not bad but about the same as last month. I was hoping to get the cold half up to 98.6 and the warmer half closer to 99.

I've been having tons of heart palpitations that I didn't have before. I thought it was caused by some sprouted potatoes I had been eating but those have been out of my diet for over a week now and I still have them. I had an odd 2 day break from fatigue and the palpitations after cutting out the potatoes and thought that was the reason, but now it doesn't seem like that was enough to get rid of it.

My energy is so very low. I cleaned up the kitchen and vacuumed on those days that I felt better but nothing since then. I just want to lay down all day. After 5 weeks of this it is rather concerning. I feel like I should be starting to feel better now or at least see some improvement in energy. It is time to start my garden for the year now. If I miss out now I may be skipping the whole season and growing my own food is rather important to me. I can't imagine doing any physical labor right now though and I need to do much more that just plant a few seeds in the ground.

On the good side, my sleep is great and I get tons of it. My cellulite is improved even though I'm bigger and with higher bodyfat%. My skin looks nice. I have no food cravings of any kind. I'm really feeling peaceful about food. I think I might eat more if I wasn't too tired to cook though. I'm rather bored with the yogurt, fruit and yams I've been living on out of laziness. Hardly any meat and I don't think it sounds good either.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think what is happening is your body is attempting to return to its normal state of equilibrium, at a lower weight. This has been stressful for you. Take it easy and listen to your body.

Zach is offline Banned
    What exactly are you eating? How many calories are you averaging? Keeping track like YB is doing might be a great idea. Are you getting the palps all day or just certain times? How much fluids and salt are you consuming?

Your fatigue is concerning since you are getting so much sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I think what is happening is your body is attempting to return to its normal state of equilibrium, at a lower weight. This has been stressful for you. Take it easy and listen to your body.
    This is my highest weight ever actually and I've never been underweight but I have been very undernourished.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    What exactly are you eating? How many calories are you averaging? Keeping track like YB is doing might be a great idea. Are you getting the palps all day or just certain times? How much fluids and salt are you consuming?

Your fatigue is concerning since you are getting so much sleep.
    Part of this was I stopped tracking to get my attention away from food but with such problems I probably should log in at least a few days a week. I put in today's info and post it tomorrow.

I'm getting the palps all day but especially after eating. Doesn't matter if I'm standing, sitting, laying down. Happens after everything from a piece of fruit to an omelette.

Fluids are greatly cut pack per Matt Stone's rec. I drink some milk and get fluid from fruits but haven't been thirsty beyond that. I salt to taste, lately that is mostly on my eggs and yams and from cheese.

Hmm, this journal already has me thinking more clearly about what things have changed. The fatigue has been overwhelming enough that I haven't noticed all the changes. I've been too tired to make fermented veggies, which I used to eat before each meal. I've slowly stopped taking the HCl and digestive enzymes. I've stopped drinking water/tea. I'm practically vegetarian out of laziness which also brings me to increased dairy consumption. Also out of laziness is a complete lack of veggie consumption except for starchy ones. None of this is typical for me but without a cook it has become my default. I suppose this is quite a bit of stuff that I should really try and get back to how it had been. I had been eating well when the fatigue started but perhaps it wouldn't have stayed around if my diet hadn't changed.

Zach is offline Banned
    First things first i would start drinking some water, add a pinch of salt to it to avoid the dilution. I used to get palps as well and i believe it was brought on by dehydration. I dont really follow Matt Stone in this respect.

Also could be a lack of magnesium or potassium.

Thanks, I will do this all day today and see what happens. I've already had a few glass today and so far have more energy than in quite some time.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Hey Paleomom, good on you for starting the journal! For what it's worth, I've been incredibly thirsty and have been drinking a lot (I didn't listen to Matt on that). There was one day I had two litres of coconut water! Sometimes water doesn't quench the the thirst so I try to get a lot of my fluids from fruit. I don't really know why, but my body is craving a lot of fluids, and I've been giving my body whatever it needs.

I agree with Zach about the food log. As you know, I'm logging what I eat, but it's not with a calorie counting mentality. In fact, the calories are off a lot of the time, as I don't measure anything, and I forget things that I ate. I don't even look at the macros! BUT, I think in a few weeks, once the emotional and physical side has become less intense, that log is going to be a really useful resource for me to track my sleep, digestion, and how I was feeling, with how I was eating.

Just a thought as well: it does sound like your diet has become very basic... I know you're tired, but maybe you could incorporate some raw veggies in? Im only suggesting raw cos you wouldnt have to cook them Raw bell peppers are amazing - and full of water, which would help rehydrate you. Also raw carrots are meant to be a super elixir.

Keep us posted!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Raw ripe fruit as well! I really do think that too much heat/heavy foods without enough cool foods/liquids will slow you down significantly. Matt Stone talks about this, if you go to far in the other direction, you will feel like your fighting against a heavier gravity and something. I experienced this when on the RRARF and very low fluids.

Heres my main suggestions for anyone. Drink a few litres of water a day, add a pinch of sea salt to them. Try for a couple hours of digestion time in between meals and before bed. If digestion is weak give betein hcl and pancreatin a try.

Those things changed my life significantly and i believe i could eat just about anything as long as i follow these rules.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast