Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: PaleoMom's Diet Recovery page 9

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I almost forgot the best news, my morning temp was 99!!
    Wow, thats awesome!

Just wait till you two can go to family gatherings and wreck shop at the dinner tables while everyone stares at you like your a freak. One of my absolute favorite things to do.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Wow, thats awesome!

Just wait till you two can go to family gatherings and wreck shop at the dinner tables while everyone stares at you like your a freak. One of my absolute favorite things to do.

Hee, hee, hee That would be fun. A certain sign of recovery.

YB, I wonder if I could ask a few yoga questions?...

I used to do Astanga daily, a 1hour 45 minute - 2 hours daily (primary series plus sometimes about 1/4 into the second). I was vegan and didn't often eat enough calories plus was in college under stress and little sleep. After several years of dedicated practice I made very little strength gains and even smaller flexibility gains (although I was naturally pretty flexible to begin with). I totally burned my adrenals and was tired all day after yoga.

When trying to go back to it, even after weightlifting for a few years, I still get so burnt out if I do it more than a day in a row. I'm curious what kind of strength gains you've seen over say 6 months of work in people eating well and also if you see greater improvement in those who only practice a few times a week instead of daily.

I don't want to make huge stereotypes but I will anyway.... Why do you think the gurus in books look weak and flabby (though obviously incredibly flexible) and yet Westerners who practice tend to look lean and strong?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    YB, I wonder if I could ask a few yoga questions?...

I used to do Astanga daily, a 1hour 45 minute - 2 hours daily (primary series plus sometimes about 1/4 into the second). I was vegan and didn't often eat enough calories plus was in college under stress and little sleep. After several years of dedicated practice I made very little strength gains and even smaller flexibility gains (although I was naturally pretty flexible to begin with). I totally burned my adrenals and was tired all day after yoga.

When trying to go back to it, even after weightlifting for a few years, I still get so burnt out if I do it more than a day in a row. I'm curious what kind of strength gains you've seen over say 6 months of work in people eating well and also if you see greater improvement in those who only practice a few times a week instead of daily.

I don't want to make huge stereotypes but I will anyway.... Why do you think the gurus in books look weak and flabby (though obviously incredibly flexible) and yet Westerners who practice tend to look lean and strong?
    Wow - those are great questions! Let me have a think and get back to you.

why don't you post them on that Yoga thread I started (that you and Zach just posted on). That way some of the other yogis might answer and share their wisdom
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    That's funny - I actually started writing similar thoughts earlier on - thinking about how I got to have the habits with food that I have. I've also got issues eating in front of people... but for me it was cos' food was a form of escapism, and if anyone else was around it would take me out of the moment.

I have a feeling that learning to eat in front of others is a really important part of recovery. Then food becomes something to be shared; sometimes that sustains and nourishes life, instead of a secret that makes you fat...
    Holy cow! Once again, I could have written this myself. I'm amazed by the number of food issues I have/had that I was never really aware for years. A big part of my frustration with eating around other people stems from being put in a position to justify why I do or don't eat certain foods for the last few years, mostly those due to intolerances - I don't have ANY issue with explaining my primal woe - that's just automatic. It just got old and became easier to eat at home without hearing anyone's crap. I'd rather forego eating at social events and feel hungry until I can RELAX and enjoy the few foods I CAN eat! Maybe the bigger problem is that I'm using it as a form of escapism? Hmmm...

I'm glad both of you continue to journal about and discuss how you're doing. I've been following since day one and I know that many others are as well. Keep it up!
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Today was the 1 week weigh in. I'm down .4 pounds, which I think is more of a maintenance than a loss given the range of daily variation. I'm only a few days was from TOM but I don't usually have related gain/loss from that. If nothing else, I'm very pleased to be able to eat this much and maintain my weight. It is double what I used to maintain at.

Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    Holy cow! Once again, I could have written this myself. I'm amazed by the number of food issues I have/had that I was never really aware for years. A big part of my frustration with eating around other people stems from being put in a position to justify why I do or don't eat certain foods for the last few years, mostly those due to intolerances - I don't have ANY issue with explaining my primal woe - that's just automatic. It just got old and became easier to eat at home without hearing anyone's crap. I'd rather forego eating at social events and feel hungry until I can RELAX and enjoy the few foods I CAN eat! Maybe the bigger problem is that I'm using it as a form of escapism? Hmmm...

I'm glad both of you continue to journal about and discuss how you're doing. I've been following since day one and I know that many others are as well. Keep it up!
    So glad it resonated Jenn! I actually live with an alcoholic, and I can see a lot of my ED behaviour in him. He hides his beer cans, and watches the clock for "acceptable" times to drink. He's very unhappy and drink makes him feel better. What makes you think you are using food as escapism?

And thanks so much for the warm words - they mean a lot. I'm really glad to hear you're reading. Don't be a stranger!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Today was the 1 week weigh in. I'm down .4 pounds, which I think is more of a maintenance than a loss given the range of daily variation. I'm only a few days was from TOM but I don't usually have related gain/loss from that. If nothing else, I'm very pleased to be able to eat this much and maintain my weight. It is double what I used to maintain at.
    Is that .4 lbs in addition to the two you dropped last week?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-09-2013 at 12:16 PM.

- Ray Peat

That would be a grand total of .4. I was at my peak of 146.4 last week and now 146. I'm not really bummed, I had some high calorie days in there where I felt really hungry and I satisfied that hunger. Being able to eat like I did this week and maintain is pretty awesome really! I know I intended to cut back a bit this week but that really only happened about half the time and the other days I was hungrier, especially for starch. I suppose that is normal for the week before TOM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That would be a grand total of .4. I was at my peak of 146.4 last week and now 146. I'm not really bummed, I had some high calorie days in there where I felt really hungry and I satisfied that hunger. Being able to eat like I did this week and maintain is pretty awesome really! I know I intended to cut back a bit this week but that really only happened about half the time and the other days I was hungrier, especially for starch. I suppose that is normal for the week before TOM.
    That's cool that you're feeling good about it! And maybe the weight is going to come off slowly. I thought I would drop weight quickly but it doesn't appear to be going anywhere. My body is changing though - some bits are getting smaller and others are getting bigger... it's weird.

My entry today is going to be all about hunger btw!

- Ray Peat

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast