Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: PaleoMom's Diet Recovery page 6

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    What was the point in doing any of this if not to raise metabolism?
    Good question. Broscience will get you exactly nowhere.

Correct deficiencies and normalize hormones. Also mental health.
    Now this actually makes sense.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I hear you... I guess we've put on a similar amount of weight! I think I'm up 16 lbs since last July. But part of me feels that sometimes things have to surface before they can be released fully. Maybe we both needed to gain the weight in order make us more aware that there was something fundamentally wrong with how we were doing this.

Have you come up with a cutting plan or are you doing to go with the flow?
    I'm going with the flow a bit. I've stopped eating at "I'm not really hungry anymore and feel satisfied" instead of "I could still eat a bit more without feeling totally stuffed". I've also been working in the garden a lot, yesterday was about 4 hours worth. Unless it rains I should be out there at least a few hours each day through the fall.

My energy is back thanks to rehydrating and the heart palpitations have been mostly gone but did come back last night. My sleep has been pretty good mixed with a few hours of restlessness here and there. I'm getting nearly 10 hours though, so I can certainly afford the restlessness a bit.

Are the two mutually exclusive? Obviously the metabolic rate does rise when you eat more, and eating more can lead to fat gain. But does it follow that eating less will decrease the metabolism? What was the point in doing any of this if not to raise metabolism?
    I couldn't lose those last 10-15 pounds for anything. So, for me the point was to be able to allow my body to feel secure so it could let that weight go as well as to be able to eat a nice normal amount of food without having to think about my consumption so much. My tireless quest for losing those pounds put me in such a terrible mental place that consumed my life. I needed this just for the mental benefits even if nothing else happened.

I do think my body was mostly holding on to the weight due to fear of famine and not hormonal imbalances. I feel like I got those straightened out awhile ago. My body temp was only slightly low and I didn't have any other health complaints.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Good question. Broscience will get you exactly nowhere.
    How so? People have gotten themselves out of "starvation mode" and are now able to maintain at higher calories than they were eating before. Isn't that raising the metabolism?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I couldn't lose those last 10-15 pounds for anything. So, for me the point was to be able to allow my body to feel secure so it could let that weight go as well as to be able to eat a nice normal amount of food without having to think about my consumption so much. My tireless quest for losing those pounds put me in such a terrible mental place that consumed my life. I needed this just for the mental benefits even if nothing else happened.

I do think my body was mostly holding on to the weight due to fear of famine and not hormonal imbalances. I feel like I got those straightened out awhile ago. My body temp was only slightly low and I didn't have any other health complaints.
    10 hours sleep?? No wonder you're getting carded

That all makes sense. And yet the bad press about chronic dieting is barely a whisper in CW. Dieting is a huge industry - there's too much money involved.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

10 hours sleep?? No wonder you're getting carded

That all makes sense. And yet the bad press about chronic dieting is barely a whisper in CW. Dieting is a huge industry - there's too much money involved.
    No, I DIDN'T get carded!!! Did I mess that up in the other thread?

No, I DIDN'T get carded!!! Did I mess that up in the other thread?
    Lol - I totally misread that! I was wondering why you were rubbing it in that you look so young

- Ray Peat

Well, not much to report. My energy is still better although not as good as what I'd like as a final goal. I even did some yoga the last few days. Yesterday my energy had dipped a bit and I had ravenous hunger. Does that mean I didn't eat enough the 2 days before that maybe?

I dropped about a pound since dropping calories a bit. I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing by cutting a bit, but I'm awfully sick of continuing to get bigger. I'm past the point of being able to find clothes that still make me look okay.

Well, not much to report. My energy is still better although not as good as what I'd like as a final goal. I even did some yoga the last few days. Yesterday my energy had dipped a bit and I had ravenous hunger. Does that mean I didn't eat enough the 2 days before that maybe?

I dropped about a pound since dropping calories a bit. I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing by cutting a bit, but I'm awfully sick of continuing to get bigger. I'm past the point of being able to find clothes that still make me look okay.
    Hey Paleomom, Aren't the fluctuations in appetite interesting? I'm experiencing the same. Wednesday and Thurday I wasn't very hungry and did a lot of grazing. Didn't eat much Friday either, til dinner time, and then I got hunger and ate a lot. Woke up this morning hungry again and had a big breakfast.

You know... I think this is really about trusting the intelligence of the body. Maybe the hunger comes because the metabolism is taking a dip? I don't know, but I really believet that the body knows what is best for it, and that it's always trying to get to a place of vibrant health. As long as we eat the right foods and keep listening things will come right.

Why are you doubting if cutting is right for you?

That sucks your energy isn't getting better. All I can suggest is drinking more than you think you need: water (with salt and lemon) and especially coconut water. I'm realising that I'm chronically dehyrated because my body doesn't absorb fluids properly.

Take it really slowly and don't force yourself to do something - you'll know when you're ready to exercise cos' "the body" will just want to move. I'm going through that right now.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-06-2013 at 03:48 AM.

- Ray Peat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I always had these fluctuation in appetite, but now I'm allowing myself to actually listen to them and eat more! It often follows after heavy activity and on days when I'm tired and recovering from that activity, rarely on the day of the activity when I seem so capable of skipping meals if I don't make an effort to eat.

I was doubting if cutting was right because I hadn't had these larger fluctuations in appetite since eating more and thought it might be a sign I was allowing myself to go back to restricting. I suppose as long as I'm listening to it and eating then it should be okay.

I woke up early today feeling rested, only 8 hours last night. I know that sounds funny but for me that is not usually enough to feel rested. I'll see if it lasts or if I'll want to crawl back to bed later on.

I do think I might be just like you with not absorbing the fluids properly. I feel like the more I drink the more thirsty I get and I just go to the bathroom a ton. I've been trying to only drink water that has something added to it - salt, electrolytes, trace minerals and honey. I tried the lemon but even when it was just a small amount and I added honey it seemed to acidic.

I have been waiting for the body to want to move. It comes in bursts and then passes though. When coming out of my adrenal/CFS daze I really learned to listen to this quite a bit. As I recovered I realized I didn't have to ever force activity. I had thought I was lazy because I had been that way for so long, but when the energy came back I couldn't believe how good it felt to move and was basically unavoidable. I finally understood what people meant about exercise making them feel good and giving them energy. I had thought they were all a bunch of liars before that! I truly believe that people whose bodies are ready for exercise will naturally want to do so, if they don't it is a sign that healing is needed.

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast