Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: PaleoMom's Diet Recovery page 5

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The eatmore2lose sight talks about small deficits after first bring up the metabolism and then never eating below the BMR including energy used for exercise.

Eating 1100-1300 to lose is much lower than they recommend.
    Last edited by PaleoMom; 04-03-2013 at 08:48 AM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I'm not postmenopausal! Still regular as a clock at 50.

Looking back, I realize that I started lifting when I was 30 and that was why I never put on much extra fat compared to my peers/younger sisters. Good incentive for regaining the muscle mass I have lost in the last 2 years due to not lifting as much.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post

Looking back, I realize that I started lifting when I was 30 and that was why I never put on much extra fat compared to my peers/younger sisters. Good incentive for regaining the muscle mass I have lost in the last 2 years due to not lifting as much.
    Muscle memory is a great thing. It should come back much more easily than for a woman your age to try to grow it the first time.

Zach is offline Banned

Excuse me, i couldnt find an age on your site.

See we reall are not that far apart. One doing daily exercise in their 20s-30s should be able to eat upwards of 2500 to maintain and that number will decline a bit, 40s maybe 2000, 50s maybe 1700. I just dont think any whether they be 3 or 80 should be eating under 1500 calories.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    The eatmore2lose sight talks about small deficits after first bring up the metabolism and then never eating below the BMR including energy used for exercise.

Eating 1100-1300 to lose is much lower than they recommend.
    Unfortunately, BMR calculators are not designed to calculate for the specific individual.

Trial and error helped me to find out the caloric level that worked for me. By the way, I have never counted calories until I did a 6 week experiment after 6 months of Primal to track what I was actually eating.

I'm certain that once I build my muscles back up, I will be eating more calories to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Muscle memory is a great thing. It should come back much more easily than for a woman your age to try to grow it the first time.
    Yes, indeed! And I still have more muscle mass than most women my age/size, even without the regular lifting I used to do.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I wasn't that hungry because I was so used to it, but I felt very deprived. Having to watch every bite and log it in because it was so easy to go over. Also, having to avoid so many things because it was too hard to work them into the calorie allotment. I would end up binging every so often (usually on just primal food) which would cause me to gain and it wouldn't come back off again. That is how I gain the 10 pounds I was trying to lose when we started this. Primal made me healthier than I've ever been but also much fatter!

By allowing hunger to pass, I meant ignoring it and skipping a meal to avoid calories. I don't want to avoid hunger anymore or ignore it and feel righteous about being able to go without.
    I hear you... I guess we've put on a similar amount of weight! I think I'm up 16 lbs since last July. But part of me feels that sometimes things have to surface before they can be released fully. Maybe we both needed to gain the weight in order make us more aware that there was something fundamentally wrong with how we were doing this.

Have you come up with a cutting plan or are you doing to go with the flow?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Women who try to eat a lot of extra calories to "raise their metabolism" (without also lifting heavy and moving slowly for 1-2 hours daily) are setting themselves up to gain fat.
    Are the two mutually exclusive? Obviously the metabolic rate does rise when you eat more, and eating more can lead to fat gain. But does it follow that eating less will decrease the metabolism? What was the point in doing any of this if not to raise metabolism?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Are the two mutually exclusive? Obviously the metabolic rate does rise when you eat more, and eating more can lead to fat gain. But does it follow that eating less will decrease the metabolism? What was the point in doing any of this if not to raise metabolism?
    Correct deficiencies and normalize hormones. Also mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Correct deficiencies and normalize hormones. Also mental health.
    Oh. Those little things.

- Ray Peat

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast