Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: PaleoMom's Diet Recovery page 24

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm glad to see others ditching coffee. No matter the nutrients it provides, if it makes you feel bad it's just not working. I wonder if I don't tolerate it due to gluten cross-reactivity.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I think the road to finding the right nutrition for "you" is a long one, and it's not linear. You'll keep tweaking until you find the right thing. That's certainly how it was with me. Right before I went fully Peat I tried low carb again! I was eating shit loads of salads, meat twice a day.. It was good for me to go back to it so I could see how wrong for me it was.

Btw, did your taste buds change at all when you went on your hormone treatment?

And btw2 - it's really nice to have you back here!
    It sure is a long road. I'm feeling positive about the current changes I'm making. I do find that I rarely go backwards and usually find the next path (if it lasts past a week) is better than the previous one. I will probably go back to cooked soups and yams in the wintertime, I do like to keep things pretty local and seasonal, that is hard with fruit!

No, my taste buds didn't change at all. The only things I noticed from it was improved energy and bigger boobs.

It is nice to be back, feeling the community, but I also feel it is making me a bit OCD again and anxious about food, which is not so good. If I disappear again you are always welcome to write to me or send me something you want me to see. I find it hard to be here and not get obsessive but private emails are away from all the OCD distraction of a forum

Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    I'm glad to see others ditching coffee. No matter the nutrients it provides, if it makes you feel bad it's just not working. I wonder if I don't tolerate it due to gluten cross-reactivity.
    I was actually never doing coffee, I absolutely hate it. It was white tea and a chai blend with black tea that give me trouble. Sadly, even just a single cup of white tea can make me feel bad. I think all that will get better as my cortisol levels improve.

Zach is offline Banned
    Weird, i hated coffee and everything it stood for my whole life. Then Derp convinced me and i love it. Maybe its just me but going the whole morning with only liquid calories (maybe some oysters) makes me feel incredible.

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I was actually never doing coffee, I absolutely hate it. It was white tea and a chai blend with black tea that give me trouble. Sadly, even just a single cup of white tea can make me feel bad. I think all that will get better as my cortisol levels improve.
    Oh right. It was YogaBare on coffee and caffeine for you. I'm not going to have any caffeine aside from cocoa powder and see if I calm down a little. I just notice my stress response is a little jumpy. I'm with Zach on the liquid calories, empty but not hungry feeling. Today I just had a gelatined chocolate milk instead of coffee. Then a couple boiled eggs a couple hours later. I didn't get a withdrawal headache or anything. Tomorrow I may just have almond extract in my milk drink instead of cocoa. As far as the minerals that Peat says coffee is good for- where else can they be gotten from?

Zach is offline Banned
    Coffee isnt really high in much, its the caffeine that Peat likes.

" Coffee drinkers have a lower incidence of thyroid disease, including cancer, thannon-drinkers.

Caffeine protects the liver from alcohol and acetaminophen (Tylenol) and other toxins, and coffee drinkers are less likely than people who don’t use coffee to have elevated serum enzymes and other indications of liver damage.

Caffeine protects against cancer caused by radiation, chemical carcinogens, viruses, and estrogens.

Caffeine synergizes with progesterone, and increases its concentration in blood and tissues.

Cystic breast disease is not caused by caffeine, in fact caffeine’s effects are likely to be protective; a variety of studies show that coffee, tea, and caffeine are protective against breast cancer.

Coffee provides very significant quantities of magnesium, as well as other nutrients including vitamin B1.

Caffeine “improves efficiency of fuel use” and performance: JC Wagner 1989.

Coffee drinkers have a low incidence of suicide.

Caffeine supports serotonin uptake in nerves, and inhibits blood platelet aggregation.

Coffee drinkers have been found to have lower cadmium in tissues; coffee making removes heavy metals from water.

Coffee inhibits iron absorption if taken with meals, helping to prevent iron overload.

Caffeine, like niacin, inhibits apoptosis, protecting against stress-induced cell death, without interfering with normal cell turnover.

Caffeine can prevent nerve cell death.

Coffee (or caffeine) prevents Parkinson’s Disease (Ross, et al., 2000).

The prenatal growth retardation that can be caused by feeding large amounts of caffeine is prevented by supplementing the diet with sugar.

Caffeine stops production of free radicals by inhibiting xanthine oxidase, an important factor in tissue stress.

Caffeine lowers serum potassium following exercise; stabilizes platelets, reducing thromboxane production."

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I never have less than 1g of caffeine a day, sometimes pushing 3. Popular "science" states I will die after 10-24g, but I've probably had more than that when I was in high school or even recently I remember having like 2 gallons of coffee. I'm tempted to test this again, to be sure, but that's a fuckload of espresso shots.

Note: I make my coffee extremely "sludge" like, so it's super strong.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 09-15-2013 at 09:06 PM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Weird, i hated coffee and everything it stood for my whole life. Then Derp convinced me and i love it. Maybe its just me but going the whole morning with only liquid calories (maybe some oysters) makes me feel incredible.
    That's right mein man

Another thing about caffeine and coffee: I've gotten my mom drinking 5-10 cups a day, and her bipolar like depression is nearly completely under her control, and she's functioning less like a zombie and sleeping a lot better.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 09-15-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    Oh right. It was YogaBare on coffee and caffeine for you. I'm not going to have any caffeine aside from cocoa powder and see if I calm down a little. I just notice my stress response is a little jumpy. I'm with Zach on the liquid calories, empty but not hungry feeling. Today I just had a gelatined chocolate milk instead of coffee. Then a couple boiled eggs a couple hours later. I didn't get a withdrawal headache or anything. Tomorrow I may just have almond extract in my milk drink instead of cocoa. As far as the minerals that Peat says coffee is good for- where else can they be gotten from?
    Cocoa is high in magnesium. I like your ideal of gelatin milk chocolate. That might be tomorrows breakfast I can handle a bit of chocolate better than tea.

Sadly cocoa is also really high in phosphorus. It's still good to eat though.

Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast