Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: PaleoMom's Diet Recovery page 20

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    That sounds very promising! How's it going now?
    I did it for a week before giving up. I instantly felt myself becoming OCD over food and weight again and was completely miserable both mentally and physically. I didn't lose anything either. I won't say it couldn't have worked if I had kept going but I will say that I was unable to feel good and be mentally healthy while following it.

Tomorrow is my Dr. appt and I will get all my test results! I'll report afterwards, I can't wait to see what did or didn't show up.

Test Results are in!

The short answer is that my DHEA is very low and supping that along with some adrenal support should bring up my testosterone and progesterone.

Also I'm not getting enough protein and my blood is slightly acidic.

My vit. D. was 41 so I'm going back to 4,000 iu (instead of 2,000) to bring up a bit higher.

estradiol 1.2 (1.3-3.3)

progesterone 10 ( 75-270 luteal) or (12-100 follicular) This one got messed up because my very regular cycle decided not to be now that I wanted to test something! The test was supposed to be day 20 of my cycle but I'm now 8 days late and probably didn't ovulate...

testosterone 22 (16-55) age dependent, I should be 31

DHEA 2.6 (2-23) age dependent, I should be 8

cortisol morning 7.1 (3.7-9.5)
    noon 1.6 (1.2 - 3.0)
    evening 0.9 (0.6-1.9)
    night 0.3 (0.4-1.0)

free T4 1.5 (0.7-2.5)
    free T3 2.6 (2.5-6.5)
    TSH 0.8 (0.5-3.0)
    TPO 27 (0-150)

That was all the saliva and blood spot testing. The other blood test was mostly normal so I won't post it all except for:

CO2 21 (22-31)
    BUN 7 (8-25)

This is was he said pointed to slightly acidic blood and not eating enough protein lately. I have been hardly eating meat at all for the last 4 months, so this is no mystery. Any what? More veggies to drop the acidity?

I was tested for rheumatoid factor too and was negative. The joint pain and inflammation might be coming from the low dhea.

I can't find my old test scores but I've had the low dhea and cortisol and progesterone before, but the testosterone is new. My cortisol is so improved from my last test I almost can't believe it. My morning cortisol was a 1 last time and it slightly improved from there to the bedtime reading which was the only one to come into the low end of normal, everything else had been was below that. This time the morning was higher than average and the others just a bit below the average line. All the early bedtimes are paying off

So now I'm taking 15mg dhea, an herbal adrenal support, quercetin for inflammation (my allergies), a new magnesium and doubling my d3/k2 supp. plus the CLO as always. I'm also starting zeolite for heavy metals.

On a different note, I've been experimenting with 24 hr. grain fermentation and baking wheat bread and bisquits that supposedly are safe for even some celiacs. The bread is amazing and so far feels great even for my kids tummies. I sure never thought they could eat wheat again but things seem good so far and sandwiches make my life much easier!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    That's amazing that something conclusive came up! So what would the symptoms of love DHEA be?

I started this thread recently, might be some good info for you on it: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87894.html
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Symptoms can be:
    Extreme fatigue
    Decrease in muscle mass
    Decrease in bone density
    Depression
    Aching joints
    Loss of libido
    Lowered immunity
    Belly fat
    Inability to lose weight

I don't have depression, the lowered immunity is probably why I'm still experiencing seasonal allergies and inflammation. The bone density part has me worried, my mom has really bad bones already. When she was around 55 she had a bone scan and the Dr. said it was normal if she was 83! Yikes. I don't want to be like that. She eats really well too and lifts weights 3x a week.

Off to read that thread...

It would be great if this explained your fatigue...

Keep us updated on how the treatment goes!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I posted this on the nutritional forum but wanted it here as well...

Omega 3/6 blood test results!

My Dr. just ordered a test for me through Health Diagnostic Laboratory Inc. that tests your fatty acid profile. I thought this community would find my results informative and reassuring. I have been terrible about taking my cod liver oil for the last 9 months or so and was worried my fat balance would be off, but it wasn't. I eat lots of raw grass fed dairy (we get local jersey milk and make our own dairy products), grass fed beef and pastured chicken, almost no olive oil, near zero other veggie oils and nuts are a rare snack for me. (I'm not saying this is how you should eat, just that this is how I've been eating and here are my results)

HS-Omega-3 Index (RBC EPA+DHA) = 9.3 (optimal range >8.0)

Details: All the numbers in ( ) are the "range", it doesn't say optimal range, so I think it is just the range they find patients falling into?

Omega 3 - 13.0% (0.1-14.1)
    ALA - 0.2% (0.1-0.4)
    DPA - 3.6% (0.6-4.1)
    EPA - 1.8% (0.1-2.5)
    DHA - 7.5% (0.1-8.4)

Omega-6 27.5% (28.6-44.5)
    AA 13.5 (10.5-23.3)
    LA 9.6 (4.6-21.3)

Monounsaturated 17.2 (11.5-20.5)
    Saturated 41.2 (36.6-42.0)
    Trans 1.1 (<0.1-1.8)

end of summer update:

It is been almost 6 months since I started eating more and much has changed. I've been massively busy all summer working on our huge garden but that is all winding down now.

Hormones and supps:
    Vitamin D3 4,000 IU
    K2 100 mcg
    Magnesium 150mg?
    Kelp
    adrenal support (this keeps changing, so I don't know what to write here)
    DHEA 15mg

The DHEA is really helping a ton. I went lower for a bit and then back up (I was having trouble but it turned out to be the adrenal support not the dhea). I don't know if more might be even better but this is what my Dr. is telling me to do and he seems sharp I think this is what is giving me the greatest boost in my energy and mental clarity. It is also making my boobs grow like crazy. I have gone from a 34C to a 36D at my fullest part of the month and 36C at the smallest. I used to be a 34B but went up to a 34C with the fenugreek. Still very perky too, so I feel really OUT there

Some of the adrenal supports have been making me feel wired and tired and I find that I need the absolute minimum dose of them but a little is still better than none. The second one I tried, I had a complete paradoxical reaction and it was like taking a sleeping pill. I had not choice in falling directly asleep about 5 hours later. It was a very pleasant sleep though and in some ways was quite welcome but for something that was supposed to be giving me energy it wasn't working! I'm on a new one right now that just started and it seems to be helping mildly with the energy but more importantly doesn't seem to be giving me any negative effects like the wired and tired feeling.

Diet:
    I have found I am eating a ton less now even though I have been very active all summer. After all the "eating a ton" things have certainly fallen back down to normal. I'm eating around 1600-2000 calories a day depending on activity. Throughout the summer I've been doing a lot of moving around type activity - 2-3 hours a day in the garden plus about 3 hours of food prep in the kitchen. Not heavy work but constant and enough that I don't have energy to do more. That is all slowing down now and I've returned in the last week to lifting. We took down our gym (desperately needed the space) but I have been doing pull-ups, push-ups and with my 45# kettlebell I do squats and single leg deadlifts. I mostly used the gym for nice heavy squats but this is okay and sure takes up a ton less space. I'm trying for every 2-3 days.

I've found a great new source of raw jersey milk really close to me and have been making my own butter, cheeses, yogurt and kefir from it. I love milk. I love cows. I love the cows that give me milk I really want to spoil them in every way for the goodness they give.

I have started fermenting flour and making some baked goods. I find it interesting that my kids who have been super sensitive to gluten and only do so so on gluten free baked goods have no reaction whatsoever to my soaked/fermented baked goods. I've been making sourdough bread, biscuits, tortillas and pasta. We still don't eat a ton, maybe one meal a day about 5 days a week that has something in it. I have been mostly using it as a way of making family meals easier. Making lasagna (homemade raw cheese!), burritos, sandwiches and a bit of biscuit or toast to go with soup really improves the family meals and satisfaction. I have found that while I can become very addicted to wheat very quickly, these fermented foods are completely unaddicting. I eat what I want to make a nice meal but there is no desire for more. If I don't have things to go inside a sandwich, that sourdough can just sit there and go bad which is something that would NEVER happen with a normal sourdough from the store.

I find myself feeling very balanced with food. No cravings for anything, no binging, no cheating food. It feels like I just truly can listen to my body and eat just what I need and no more or less. I can feel when I've been more active and my body wants more. I feel like I can tell exactly if it needs fat, carbs or protein. All is in balance, except my weight.

After reaching my peak weight a few months into the start of this whole thing I dropped back around 1-2 pounds and have stayed there no matter what. Dropping calories, increasing calories, increasing exercise, nothing makes a dent. It is sort of awesome as far as no longer having any fears of gaining. I do think that if I lost this fat I would have no trouble maintaining that loss forever at this point. I have noticed though that my tolerance for dieting has gone away completely. I have tried a few diets in the last four months and can't take it more than a day. I used to be able to put up with anything during my diets and now I feel like my body screams back at me to knock it off in a whole new way. Cutting carbs or fat is completely out of the question, it seems. I used to have no trouble at all doing that but now I think my body has had a taste of balanced eating and will not allow me to try stupid things again.

If you look at my last post it has some test results. I was pretty excited to have my fatty acids tested. I don't feel so paranoid about avoiding nuts and olive oil or taking cod liver oil all the time. He also tested my iron and ferretin (fine) and cholesterol. My cholesterol wasn't fabulous, higher than ever before but that is probably a good thing. He wasn't concerned about my total cholesterol but the details of it could have been better. I'll do a separate post later on all that.

After all these test came back with no answer for my joint pain (my systemic inflammation was also really low) he did a different acupuncture treatment on me and it has done wonders for all my joint pain.

I'm still wanting more energy but I do feel like that will come. I really want to be losing about 20 pounds of fat though. I'm still wondering if my body is stuck at this weight because this is the weight it wants to be and I should just focus on recomp and not expect my fat to go down faster than my muscle can build up. Did I battle weight gain my whole life simply because I didn't have enough muscle? I keep reading things about others like Molly Galbraith and GoKaleo that makes me think there is a set weight we want to be and we will fight to stay there even if it means gaining fat to do so. Hopefully though, gaining muscle will allow the fat to come off easily.

In the past I have had a tough time keeping the muscle I gain. I will gain muscle but as soon as I am not constantly lifting I go back to where I started in strength even after large gains. I think this may have been because of my low dhea, cortisol and testosterone. Hopefully as these get better I will have an easier time putting on muscle and keeping it.
    Last edited by PaleoMom; 09-05-2013 at 07:51 PM.

I nearly missed this post!

Firstly - YOWZA! (my new favourite word ) Your breasts increased that much?? I am so tempted to try the fenugreek... but I'm still not sure if it causes oestrogen to increase :/

Secondly, I'm so happy to see that the doctor is sharp! Remember how stressful it was for you trying to get a diagnosis? It's so great that you finally found someone good

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    After reaching my peak weight a few months into the start of this whole thing I dropped back around 1-2 pounds and have stayed there no matter what. Dropping calories, increasing calories, increasing exercise, nothing makes a dent. It is sort of awesome as far as no longer having any fears of gaining. I do think that if I lost this fat I would have no trouble maintaining that loss forever at this point. I have noticed though that my tolerance for dieting has gone away completely. I have tried a few diets in the last four months and can't take it more than a day. I used to be able to put up with anything during my diets and now I feel like my body screams back at me to knock it off in a whole new way. Cutting carbs or fat is completely out of the question, it seems. I used to have no trouble at all doing that but now I think my body has had a taste of balanced eating and will not allow me to try stupid things again.
    This bit really stood out for me, because until I started eating Peat, it was exactly how I felt. Word for word. But now I'm eating all the foods I love (dairy, fruit, sugar), I never feel deprived, I have tons of energy, and my appetite is a lot smaller than usual. I dropped 8 lbs initially, then regained 2 (did too much cardio), but I think I'm losing again. I still have about 7 lbs to go though. Anyway, I don't mean to be a Peat pusher but...

- Ray Peat

I'll have to check out the Peat thread. Are you following the general Peat diet like others or are you changing things in your own way at all?

Most of the breast growth came from the DHEA, which for me I was really low in. I would never take it without a test that says you are low though.... Hubby has been VERY excited lately

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I'll have to check out the Peat thread. Are you following the general Peat diet like others or are you changing things in your own way at all?

Most of the breast growth came from the DHEA, which for me I was really low in. I would never take it without a test that says you are low though.... Hubby has been VERY excited lately
    LOL - lucky you (and him )

The staples of Peat are OJ and milk, and I'm not really doing those, but I am consuming loads of dairy, gelatine and fruit and shell fish. He has particular foods that he favours but I'm not going that deeply into it (eg. he prefers people to eat water melon than any other kind, but I eat galia the most because they are cheapest).

I got some answers back to your question - do you want me to post them here of on the Peat thread?

- Ray Peat

Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast