Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: PaleoMom's Diet Recovery page 16

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    I would think that for someone in a weak state that stress is stress and being overly hot would result in stress hormones. When stress hormones are present there will be a drop in body temp as well, right? I mean think about when you get adrenalin/cortisol spikes, usually temp is low and extremities are freezing, most likely because adrenaline is a vasoconstrictor.

PM, i think what Stephan recommends and what YB is doing is pretty dang extreme and certainly not for everyone. YB and a few others with chronically low temps and set point problems (flushing of face) that the protocol might work well. For others with a pretty standard response to temp, it is probably detrimental to try and over heat the body.

Stick to the over-eating thing and listen to your body. If you feel some cold extremities or brain fog, take a hot shower/bath or eat a hot meal, no need to go to extremes.

I think you were on the right path before the heat experiment. Keep it going, keep it relaxed and remember what your working towards.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    What you describe sounds very different. I'm not having hot flushes, I'm just hot. Like I'm dressed too warm in a warm room, which I am When I take off a layer I feel all better. I don't get hotter or feel cold, I feel just right. When I try and keep warmly dressed to keep my body temp up I eventually seem to crash energetically. Allowing myself to cool off a bit though, does make me feel better. When I talk about my temp going down it is usually only to about 98. Only a few times did it dip down below that and when it did it came back up pretty quick.

I got out in the sun today for a few hours. It is only about 50 degrees, but sunny and it still felt good. I did some really light weeding and left it at that.
    Oh, that does sound like you're dressing too warmly. Sounds like what I did on the initual resetting day - I heated up to the point of total exhaustion, and only felt better when I stripped down. Just be comfortable. You're already at a good temp. I'm just aiming to be cosy. Unfortunately for me that means wearing seven layers and a hat.!

Just don't do the bare foot thing - i know you said you have a tendency to do that but I think that really fires the adrenals up.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I would think that for someone in a weak state that stress is stress and being overly hot would result in stress hormones. When stress hormones are present there will be a drop in body temp as well, right? I mean think about when you get adrenalin/cortisol spikes, usually temp is low and extremities are freezing, most likely because adrenaline is a vasoconstrictor.

PM, i think what Stephan recommends and what YB is doing is pretty dang extreme and certainly not for everyone. YB and a few others with chronically low temps and set point problems (flushing of face) that the protocol might work well. For others with a pretty standard response to temp, it is probably detrimental to try and over heat the body.

Stick to the over-eating thing and listen to your body. If you feel some cold extremities or brain fog, take a hot shower/bath or eat a hot meal, no need to go to extremes.

I think you were on the right path before the heat experiment. Keep it going, keep it relaxed and remember what your working towards.
    Totally agree Zach.

Edit: from what I know adrenaline raises your body temp, which is why it important to keep warm if you've got weak adrenals.

Prolonged exposure to stress hormones can result in temperature dysregulation and low body temp.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-22-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    My concern is: Does anyone ever come OFF of thyroid meds once they start? I do want to at least know more of what I'm dealing with. I'll see about getting some tests done.
    I'm sure it's possible, for some people, depending on a lot of factors-- cause, length/type of dysfunction, physical status of the thyroid gland, etc.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post

Yep, I think I was just adding more stress. Stress really is just stress no matter where it comes from. I can get just as worn out thinking too hard, or having stressful conversations as working hard with my body.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

Just don't do the bare foot thing - i know you said you have a tendency to do that but I think that really fires the adrenals up.
    Did I mention I have floor heat?

Niiiice! Enjoy

- Ray Peat

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Floor heat is so luxurious. You could knock one of your walls down in the middle of winter and still be warm.

I experience the same thing when I get too warm from clothing. Immediate sleepiness. Just try to stay comfortable.

I just read Go Kaleo's book "Taking Up Space". It was short but good and has me thinking. She uses the calc linked below to calculate calories and says the body will settle at the weight you are eating to support. So, if I eat 2,800 calories that supports me at about 200 pounds, 1,800 calories whould support me around 100 pounds. She also says that if hunger or food obsession occurs that you are trying to eat at a level that supports a weight lower that what your body believes is ideal for you. Well, here I am maintaining around 146 very easily. No hunger, cravings, etc. She says that her body didn't want to go below 160 and when she got there she just started recomping. She lost all the extra fat, built muscle and still weighs 160.

Now, awhile back I had been trying to figure out what I would weigh if I gained about 10 pounds of muscle (I think I've lost some muscle now, and that might be more like 15 pounds from where I'm at currently) and had a fat percentage of about 18% ( this is from memory, so I'm assuming I would have figured 18ish) and I came out with 145 pounds. So, I'm now wondering if our bodies have a set point separate from body comp. Like it will allow less muscle, but try to compensate with more fat. If muscle goes up it will allow fat to come off, but please don't go below this weight or I'll make you OCD about food until you give in and eat.

Can I then expect to stay at this weight and slowly recomp (if I'm lifting) or else I will have to battle myself over my weight? I noticed on the ideal body weight calculator on the link below says that 143 is right in the middle of the ideal range for my height and 132 was at the low end. Perhaps the ideal fat percentage is easy to achieve if we give our bodies the muscle they want to maintain a higher weight and lowering body fat is only going against our bodies when lbm is too low.

Health-calc - Energy expenditure adv.
    Last edited by PaleoMom; 04-25-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I do believe the more muscle you carry, the leaner you will tend to be. This of course depends on the type of muscle you put on. Lifting weights for hypertrophy will not accomplish this because your body does not care about leverages when moving a lighter weight for more reps, you could be 100 or 300lbs and the results would be the same. If however you work the density of your muscles via bodyweight and very heavy lifting, your body will strive to lower its bodyfat to become more efficient at moving itself.

The problem for someone like you is figuring out a way to add muscle without exhausting yourself.

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast