Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 320

Thread: PaleoMom's Diet Recovery page 14

  1. #131
    PaleoMom's Avatar
    PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    744
    Primal Fuel
    I think I'm crashing again. My adrenal fatigue seems to be back. I feel so worn out, weak, fuzzy headed blah, blah, blah. I know all of this too well and thought it was behind me forever. I had a few good days mixed in but overall I'm exhausted and not functioning like a person. I don't know what it is about eating more that did this to me, but I worked very hard for well over a decade to recover from adrenal fatigue and now it is back in a month. WTF. This cannot take over my life again. I've given up my youth to it and I desperately feel like it is my turn to feel like a person. Last summer I was finally able to feel pretty energetic and normal, the first time ever. How is this happening again? I don't know what to do to stop and reverse this. Starve myself? That can only cause more stress. What do I do? I'm going to bed, that is all I can do.

  2. #132
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I think I'm crashing again. My adrenal fatigue seems to be back. I feel so worn out, weak, fuzzy headed blah, blah, blah. I know all of this too well and thought it was behind me forever. I had a few good days mixed in but overall I'm exhausted and not functioning like a person. I don't know what it is about eating more that did this to me, but I worked very hard for well over a decade to recover from adrenal fatigue and now it is back in a month. WTF. This cannot take over my life again. I've given up my youth to it and I desperately feel like it is my turn to feel like a person. Last summer I was finally able to feel pretty energetic and normal, the first time ever. How is this happening again? I don't know what to do to stop and reverse this. Starve myself? That can only cause more stress. What do I do? I'm going to bed, that is all I can do.
    PM, First thing I'd like you to do is read back over what you wrote in your journal yesterday. So much positiivty in that entry! So much win! Remember all the good things that are coming out of this.

    Now, secondly, it can't be possible that eating more is making you relapse into adrenal fatigue. It sounds to me like you are going through a healing crisis, and you are resisting it. You probably need to give yourself the time to heal, but as soon as you start to feel normal you wear yourself out digging in the garden. I think you need to go a lot slower.

    I can understand that things are tough and you feel like you're going backwards. I really started to get scared about all this N=1 stuff when I saw my cholesterol. This is the reality: we're all fiddling around in the dark. We haven't found what works for us. The important thing is not to deviate off course too much. I think it's important that the changes from now on are small so that you dont shock your body any more.

    Be really, really gentle with yourself. If you have energy, do an hour in the garden - not a day. Do you ever meditate? Do you like music? Hugs! (<----seriously, I should just get that word tattooed on my head. Or at least put it as my avatar )
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  3. #133
    PaleoMom's Avatar
    PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    PM, First thing I'd like you to do is read back over what you wrote in your journal yesterday. So much positiivty in that entry! So much win! Remember all the good things that are coming out of this.

    Now, secondly, it can't be possible that eating more is making you relapse into adrenal fatigue. It sounds to me like you are going through a healing crisis, and you are resisting it. You probably need to give yourself the time to heal, but as soon as you start to feel normal you wear yourself out digging in the garden. I think you need to go a lot slower.

    I can understand that things are tough and you feel like you're going backwards. I really started to get scared about all this N=1 stuff when I saw my cholesterol. This is the reality: we're all fiddling around in the dark. We haven't found what works for us. The important thing is not to deviate off course too much. I think it's important that the changes from now on are small so that you dont shock your body any more.

    Be really, really gentle with yourself. If you have energy, do an hour in the garden - not a day. Do you ever meditate? Do you like music? Hugs! (<----seriously, I should just get that word tattooed on my head. Or at least put it as my avatar )
    I woke up today feeling so tired again, I looked in the mirror and I have never seen my face look so puffy! I don't know what happened. It made me step on the scale to see that I'm at a new all time high. So, forget the loss I was having, it is all back and then some. I have an enormous amount of work ahead of me in the garden. I really need the energy to be able to work out there right now, on top of homeschooling my children, cleaning the house and cooking for everyone. I don't have the luxury of just checking out for months at a time, which is what I really need. A few days a week is okay as far as my life not falling apart, but I'm feeling like I did at my worst and I'm scared it is going to stay this way. I do push myself too hard when I feel good but it is out of desperation to get things done that desperately need to be done. My house is unbearable to me and I don't have the energy to keep it up, which makes me feel more stress. I have a family with a million food preferences and intolerances and cooking is an impossible task. There is almost nothing that everyone can or will eat at once. I don't need to have the energy to run marathons, but getting through normal daily life without overwhelming fatigue is an absolute necessity. Since I started this my energy has become more erratic, my highs are better but my lows are worse and becoming closer together. I could prevent the super lows by doing absolutely nothing all day everyday but then what? Live like a pig, eat nothing but snacks and leave all sense of living a normal life behind? I've been there already for most of my life, now I had about 9 months of feeling somewhat normal before crashing back into it. This could be temporary, or perhaps I fucked myself over and now I have to dig my way back out of this living grave. Give me a few days rest, I'll probably feel a bit of life coming back. I'm just scared to see glimpses of my past that I never wanted to see again.

  4. #134
    GoJenGo's Avatar
    GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    622
    PM, I know you said you've had thyroid testing done in the past and your results were always "ok" or "normal", but SO much of what you are describing, including the puffy face, just screams thyroid/adrenal issues. If I were you, I would have a full thyroid panel (as well adrenal related panels) ASAP. Your results very well may be far different at this point than they were years ago, and to be honest, I'm suspicious that your levels may not have truly been "ok" or normal back when you did have the testing done. We all know how a good majority of CW MDs are ignorant (and totally unmotivated) in regard to issues involving the thyroid. You need to know all of your levels, not just your TSH, and have someone who knows what they are talking about interpret them.

    I could be way off and may have missed posts in which you discuss having already been down that route with no success, so forgive me if I'm just blowing smoke. I've just been thinking this for some time now while reading your journal. You need to find out what's going on, this just doesn't seem right to me.

    Do a search on this forum with the words "hypothyroidism", "puffy face", etc. - someone posted pics of a woman that show very clearly the significant difference in her face at different times of her life when thyroid issues ran amok and when they were more "normal". I'd google it as well. I was shocked when I saw it.
    Last edited by GoJenGo; 04-22-2013 at 06:01 AM.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

    - Robert Louis Stevenson

  5. #135
    PaleoMom's Avatar
    PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    744
    Thanks Jen,

    I do think I should have things retested. I have been looked at by many reputable alternative MD's and ND's over the years, even those specializing in thyroid/adrenal issues that are undiagnosed with regular MD's. It has been awhile though and deserves another look. I know there is overlap but my history and symptoms put me more in the adrenal camp than thyroid. I have even been treated for thyroid in the past based on symptoms alone (since my test were negative) but it didn't help. My saliva cortisol tests were always very low and treatment has always been slow and expensive. I think I've spent close to 50,000 trying to feel better! The puffy face thing was new today, not a regular symptom. After stepping on the scale I think it is just fat! I'm not eating more either, I barely have the energy to eat the last few days.

    Part of my hesitation is that I'm so sick of spending money on doctors. All the good ones are out of pocket for me and their supplements/meds can be hundred a month plus a pain in the neck to take. I rarely receive benefit from all of that either. They might tell me what is wrong, but they sure as heck can't make it right. Even those that treat adrenal fatigue rarely know how to help someone at a late stage 3, which is where I was at and where I feel like I'm back to on my bad days. I'm thinking that what I thought of as "almost all better" was really just an early stage 3/ late stage 2, but I was so used to late 3 that it felt amazing to be in that new place. I pushed myself to hard and each time I did that I used up more of my hard earned resources. Now I'm pushing myself further into stage 3 again. My kids are going to be grown and out of the house before I feel like a normal person!

    For now I'm going to rest, sleep and when I do feel good - and this is the most important thing- I need to remember that I'm NOT better and no matter how good I feel I can only do a little bit of activity each day. No more taking advantage of feeling good to get it all done at once. That is just making me so much worse in the long run. When I improved in the past I always thought sleep was the number one component (after getting rid of heavy metals). All the supplements and hormones did practically nothing.

  6. #136
    marcadav's Avatar
    marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,173
    PM, I spent years living the life you describe here:
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I woke up today feeling so tired again, I looked in the mirror and I have never seen my face look so puffy! I don't know what happened. It made me step on the scale to see that I'm at a new all time high. So, forget the loss I was having, it is all back and then some. I have an enormous amount of work ahead of me in the garden. I really need the energy to be able to work out there right now, on top of homeschooling my children, cleaning the house and cooking for everyone. I don't have the luxury of just checking out for months at a time, which is what I really need. A few days a week is okay as far as my life not falling apart, but I'm feeling like I did at my worst and I'm scared it is going to stay this way. I do push myself too hard when I feel good but it is out of desperation to get things done that desperately need to be done. My house is unbearable to me and I don't have the energy to keep it up, which makes me feel more stress. I have a family with a million food preferences and intolerances and cooking is an impossible task. There is almost nothing that everyone can or will eat at once. I don't need to have the energy to run marathons, but getting through normal daily life without overwhelming fatigue is an absolute necessity. Since I started this my energy has become more erratic, my highs are better but my lows are worse and becoming closer together. I could prevent the super lows by doing absolutely nothing all day everyday but then what? Live like a pig, eat nothing but snacks and leave all sense of living a normal life behind? I've been there already for most of my life, now I had about 9 months of feeling somewhat normal before crashing back into it. This could be temporary, or perhaps I fucked myself over and now I have to dig my way back out of this living grave. Give me a few days rest, I'll probably feel a bit of life coming back. I'm just scared to see glimpses of my past that I never wanted to see again.
    For me it was under treated thyroid disease complicated by undetectable levels of estradiol (estrogen). Even when the estradiol was dealt with, the thyroid mess continued.

    Please get a full thyroid panel run--TSH, freeT4, freeT3, antibodies (TPO, TgAb). Also consider a female sex hormone panel, along with vitamin D and ferritin.

  7. #137
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I woke up today feeling so tired again, I looked in the mirror and I have never seen my face look so puffy! I don't know what happened. It made me step on the scale to see that I'm at a new all time high. So, forget the loss I was having, it is all back and then some. I have an enormous amount of work ahead of me in the garden. I really need the energy to be able to work out there right now, on top of homeschooling my children, cleaning the house and cooking for everyone. I don't have the luxury of just checking out for months at a time, which is what I really need. A few days a week is okay as far as my life not falling apart, but I'm feeling like I did at my worst and I'm scared it is going to stay this way. I do push myself too hard when I feel good but it is out of desperation to get things done that desperately need to be done. My house is unbearable to me and I don't have the energy to keep it up, which makes me feel more stress. I have a family with a million food preferences and intolerances and cooking is an impossible task. There is almost nothing that everyone can or will eat at once. I don't need to have the energy to run marathons, but getting through normal daily life without overwhelming fatigue is an absolute necessity. Since I started this my energy has become more erratic, my highs are better but my lows are worse and becoming closer together. I could prevent the super lows by doing absolutely nothing all day everyday but then what? Live like a pig, eat nothing but snacks and leave all sense of living a normal life behind? I've been there already for most of my life, now I had about 9 months of feeling somewhat normal before crashing back into it. This could be temporary, or perhaps I fucked myself over and now I have to dig my way back out of this living grave. Give me a few days rest, I'll probably feel a bit of life coming back. I'm just scared to see glimpses of my past that I never wanted to see again.
    PM, Can you get some help for a few weeks? Maybe a neighbourhood kid who could help you with the garden? And maybe you could focus on a smaller part of the garden this year - not have the full shabang? Would be less work and at least you'd still yield something. Do you have family that live nearby, or a friend who might help you with some cooking? You could have an afternoon where you make a bunch of meals that can be frozen? Thai curry, bolognese, stews are all easy to cook and freeze really well. I also have the feeling that you need to eat a lot of hot, nourishing food.

    What could be happening here is that your adrenals are actually healing. Probably you've been keeping your temp p for all these years with adrenaline, and now that you're keeping warm, your adrenals can ease off a bit. I can't see how keeping warm could be hurting us. BUT - if it's any consolation: I gained more weight as well! It sounds like water retention in your case, but there is also that keeping warm might be lowering our metabolisms. However, it should also be promoting fat loss. Just be patient and wait it out for another few weeks.

    It's really hard to cope on bad days - I know. My skin looks terrible right now: I got a cycstic acne outbreak and it's so dry and crepey everywhere else. But logically, we can't be hurting ourselves from feeding ourselves and keeping warm. Really! We don't have the answers and we're in uncharted terrain but we can't turn back now. People who make new discoveries always feel like this - like they're crazy / it's a waste of time. Things don't go smoothly from the start.

    Think of yourself as the discoverer of a new paradigm of health for yourself.

    Now if only I could take my own advice....
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  8. #138
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  9. #139
    PaleoMom's Avatar
    PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    PM, I spent years living the life you describe here:

    For me it was under treated thyroid disease complicated by undetectable levels of estradiol (estrogen). Even when the estradiol was dealt with, the thyroid mess continued.

    Please get a full thyroid panel run--TSH, freeT4, freeT3, antibodies (TPO, TgAb). Also consider a female sex hormone panel, along with vitamin D and ferritin.
    Thank you I'm thinking of doing this. I do wonder what to do with the information though. It seems most of the time that going on hormone medications weaken the glands and dependency happens. Isn't it better to heal slowly with lifestyle/food changes? and if so what is the point of testing? I do take vitamin D already and sunshine when I have it, lots of beef. Please argue with me if I'm wrong. I just know that with adrenals, taking even the gentle supporting herbs can be harmful to those with advanced stages and it is best to just rest, sleep, eat a healthy diet and wait it out. The thyroid won't truly heal without the adrenals being in good shape first and once the adrenals are good, the thyroid would probably follow. I don't know....

  10. #140
    PaleoMom's Avatar
    PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Ha, that is awesome

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •