Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 320

Thread: PaleoMom's Diet Recovery page 13

  1. #121
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I keep hearing both. Lots of people who raise temp with food talk about turning down the thermostat and sweating at normal room temperature.
    Well, there's two things going on here:
    1) Body temperature set point
    2) Thyroid

    A well functioning thyroid maintains homeostasis. However, if the body is set to a low temp, I presume that the thyroid is implicit in maintaining this temp. So maybe people who reset their body temp have simultaneously overstimulated their thyroid and become a bit hyper, which makes them intolerant to the heat.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  2. #122
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    PaleoMom, so glad to hear that you're feeling better. I'm sorry you were feeling so discouraged and frustrated. Just wanted to encourage you to hang in there and keep at it, no matter which direction you are now looking toward. What you've been doing and are continuing to do is no small undertaking and it is going to pay off and be worth it. This process of seeking, learning and giving different promising approaches a shot is the only way we'll ever see improvement. I admire your efforts and appreciate your sharing your experience with so many of us. I'm not surprised that so many can relate and we are learning from you.

    Stay toasty.
    Such a nice message (I know it wasn't to me, but) you're a sweet heart Jen!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  3. #123
    PaleoMom's Avatar
    PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Well, there's two things going on here:
    1) Body temperature set point
    2) Thyroid

    A well functioning thyroid maintains homeostasis. However, if the body is set to a low temp, I presume that the thyroid is implicit in maintaining this temp. So maybe people who reset their body temp have simultaneously overstimulated their thyroid and become a bit hyper, which makes them intolerant to the heat.
    Wim Hoff is quite tolerant to both cold and heat which to me seams like the ideal to strive for. One thing that bothered me about Richfield's work was his statement that raising temp will leave a person more tolerant of the heat and less tolerant of the cold. That still seems unbalanced. Perhaps what is missing is that he doesn't support the effort by using food as another tool to raise the temperature. It seems like his methods are great for a quick increase in temp that could takes many months with food alone. I think it would be important though to be eating well and enough so that the body will have the ability to stay warm without the reliance on hot showers and drinks or feeling like you now have to obsess over keeping your temp up at all times. Great to start out with both techniques but I think the body should be able to take care of itself after awhile as long as the food is right. I think a healthy body should be able to maintain temp even when it's cold outside and I want to take a walk without a coat.

  4. #124
    PaleoMom's Avatar
    PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    744
    Today was really interesting. I spent a lot of time keeping my temperature up and I feel like it payed off. I almost crashed late morning but came back to life and the rest of the day was great. I took my temperature a ton and found that the heart palpitations seem to come when my temperature is going down and go away while it's rising, even if it I'm not warmed up yet. My mind is pretty clear and alert and my energy felt good, although I didn't do much because I was bundled up with the rice pack to stay warm.

    My appetite has gone down a ton with the heat. I don't know if I should go with it or if not eating more will keep my metabolism from being able to take over the body heat job. It wasn't super low perhaps 1700. I'm sweating quite a bit (for me anyway) and feeling like I'm tolerating the hot feeling better already. Tonight I'm going to put more effort into keeping warmer through the night. I find that I'm hot the first half but the second have I'm slightly on the cool side. Sleep has been pretty heavy and good.

    I've been drinking quite a bit of water and yet peeing less. Partly this is due to the sweating I'm sure, but I'm hoping that it is also partly due to my body absorbing the water better instead of just letting it fly right through me unused.

    Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support and also for the great new info that keeps surfacing!

  5. #125
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    the heart palpitations seem to come when my temperature is going down and go away while it's rising, even if it I'm not warmed up yet.
    That's really interesting that youre noticing that! Now that you mention it, I noticed that my heart was thudding slightly again when I was in bed last night. Since temperature drops at night it would make sense.[/QUOTE]

    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    My appetite has gone down a ton with the heat. I don't know if I should go with it or if not eating more will keep my metabolism from being able to take over the body heat job. It wasn't super low perhaps 1700.
    I'm noticing the exact same thing! My appetite has been shrinking anyway since the overfeeding, but the last two days it's been a struggle to eat enough. I mana

    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I've been drinking quite a bit of water and yet peeing less. Partly this is due to the sweating I'm sure, but I'm hoping that it is also partly due to my body absorbing the water better instead of just letting it fly right through me unused.
    Also noticing this, and I definitely have less thirst too. Peeing way less, and when I do pee it's really dark! It makes perfect sense. It was one of my projected outcomes for the experiment.

    Paleomom, do you think I should post my weight gain (or lack thereof) on the "Women who eat a ton" thread? I'm kind of holding back because I know that most others gained a lot more, and I don't want to upset anyone...

    Keep fighting the good fight! You're an inspiration
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-15-2013 at 12:38 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  6. #126
    PaleoMom's Avatar
    PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    744
    YB, it is always nice we're experiencing similar things. I feel like I'm on the right track with this. It shouldn't be too hard as I'm only trying to keep up the temp I wake up with now, so I doubt my body will fight it too much. I feel great this morning!

    I do think you should post your gain/loss. It is even more important when you have something different than the norm. Where would we be if people only shared when their experiences matched the expected outcomes?

  7. #127
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Wim Hoff is quite tolerant to both cold and heat which to me seams like the ideal to strive for. One thing that bothered me about Richfield's work was his statement that raising temp will leave a person more tolerant of the heat and less tolerant of the cold. That still seems unbalanced. Perhaps what is missing is that he doesn't support the effort by using food as another tool to raise the temperature. It seems like his methods are great for a quick increase in temp that could takes many months with food alone. I think it would be important though to be eating well and enough so that the body will have the ability to stay warm without the reliance on hot showers and drinks or feeling like you now have to obsess over keeping your temp up at all times. Great to start out with both techniques but I think the body should be able to take care of itself after awhile as long as the food is right. I think a healthy body should be able to maintain temp even when it's cold outside and I want to take a walk without a coat.
    Meant to say - I think you are right on with this. I totally respect Steve's work, but it's all a bit neurotic. I don't want to live my life with a thermometer in my mouth... Combining the keeping warm with a thermic diet can only be a good thing.

    I stayed at 37C for at least 4 hours today, which is an amazing result I think!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  8. #128
    PaleoMom's Avatar
    PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    744
    *just reposting this from the main thread for record keeping purposes*

    Today was my weekly weigh in and I'm down another .6 which gives me an average loss of 1/2 pound a week. I'm eating around twice as many calories as I used to. I've stopped pushing food like I did in the beginning but I still eat when I'm hungry and I don't stop until satisfied. Very little physical activity has taken place.

    My temperature is up. I'm in the cold half of the month and my morning temps are 98.4 most days. During the warmer half my temp was regularly 98.6-99 with only a few days that went below that.

    I think I would still be gaining if I was still pushing the food but by backing off as my hunger decreased, I feel like I'm in a balanced place of eating as much as my body asks for and now starting to finally lose a few pounds. I don't have cravings, I don't binge. My energy has been down for a good portion of this but I feel like it has a lot to do with my hydration level.
    I've been drinking more and trying to keep my body warm during the day to keep my daytime temp up and that seems to be increasing my absorption of water and my energy seems to be going back up again.

    If my energy keeps coming back up and my weight keeps slipping down I'll consider this a very successful experiment that I would recommend to others. It is a wonderful thing to be able to eat a normal amount of food!

  9. #129
    PaleoMom's Avatar
    PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Meant to say - I think you are right on with this. I totally respect Steve's work, but it's all a bit neurotic. I don't want to live my life with a thermometer in my mouth... Combining the keeping warm with a thermic diet can only be a good thing.

    I stayed at 37C for at least 4 hours today, which is an amazing result I think!
    That's great! Sounds like this is going to me a much faster way for you to get your temp up.

    I actually have reactivated a jaw problem from the amount of time I've spent with the thermometer in my mouth the last few days. The darn glass one is so slow, but always gives me a nice high number which motivates me to use it anyway

  10. #130
    PaleoMom's Avatar
    PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    744
    I don't have a lot to share but thought I'd check in a bit. I don't weigh in for a few days yet but I feel like I'm still going down very slowly. I've been having bursts of energy and then fatigue but that seems to be brought on by the massive amount of manual digging and shoveling I'm doing every time I have the energy to do it. Seems I can handle a day of working hard and then the next day I crash with fatigue and rest all day. I have been distracted with the work or recovery from that work and not been taking my daytime temp very often. It has been somewhat low a few times but not too bad. My morning temp is 98.4 practically every day now. I think this is awesome since I'm in the cool part of my cycle. I think by this time next month I'll be up to 98.6/7. Hopefully by then my daytime temp will stay up there too and I'll be done working on raising temperature.

    Sleep has been great again and I don't wake up to pee anymore. I've been drinking more plain water which seems to be good for me. Even herbal teas don't seem to absorb as well. I keep drinking more but peeing slightly less. Certainly seem to absorb liquids now instead of just passing them through. The times when my daytime temp crashed a bit I noticed I started peeing a bunch again, just like YB. I haven't been feeling 100% rested when I wake up though. This is probably from staying up too late watching tv instead of getting to bed earlier. Once I fall asleep though, it is deep and solid.

    I think I'm averaging around 2000-2200 calories a day, but I'm not really tracking. Some days are more/less depending on activity. My protein is pretty low still. Probably 60-80 grams a day. I've just really lost a desire to eat meat. I've never craved meat (by meat I mean any flesh) but now I can't even motivate myself to cook it up. Just really sounds unappealing. After reading PHD diet and Stone's work I'm not worried that it is too low. I never felt good eating more protein either. I usually get most of it from flesh though and now it is almost all from eggs and raw dairy.

    I've been forgetting to scrutinize myself in the mirror for several days in a row. Only looked a few times this whole week. This is normally a several times a day activity. I'll put this in the very positive psychological healing category. I also only measured once and haven't stepped on the scale since my designated weigh in day. Good stuff

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •