Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: PaleoMom's Diet Recovery page 12

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    That guy's article on intelligence was interesting. I feel really stupid right now, putting words together is particularly difficult, but also thinking back on my past: When I was 15/16 I had not only those two knee surgeries but I almost bled to death (mysterious hemmorage) and had a terrible concussion that caused some temporary memory loss and left me dizzy for weeks. Hard to know what caused what but I never recovered my IQ after that. I used to think very differently and now it feels like the harder I try to think about something the more my mind goes blank. Sort of like trying to stare directly at something in the dark, you have to use peripheral vision to see, if you stare at something it just goes black.

I'm curious if the lost intelligence was from blood loss and/or the concussion or from lower body temperature from all the above...
    PaleoMom, I dont know if this applies to you but there is a condition that can be caused by hemorrhaging and/or brain injury. That condition is called Empty Sella Syndrome and negatively impacts/flattens the pituitary.When the hemorrhaging happens during or after childbirth the condition is called Sheehan's Syndrome.

When the pituitary is damaged endocrine hormones-- thyroid, adrenal, sex-- may be inadequate despite seeming ok on normal testing..For example thyroid test might show low/normal TSH, yet low FT4 and low T3. Normally, hypothyroid test results will show high TSH with low T4, T3

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    PaleoMom, I dont know if this applies to you but there is a condition that can be caused by hemorrhaging and/or brain injury. That condition is called Empty Sella Syndrome and negatively impacts/flattens the pituitary.When the hemorrhaging happens during or after childbirth the condition is called Sheehan's Syndrome.

When the pituitary is damaged endocrine hormones-- thyroid, adrenal, sex-- may be inadequate despite seeming ok on normal testing..For example thyroid test might show low/normal TSH, yet low FT4 and low T3. Normally, hypothyroid test results will show high TSH with low T4, T3
    Wow, thanks for bringing that up! I will certainly look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

Supposedly raising body temp makes people more tolerant of the heat...
    I keep hearing both. Lots of people who raise temp with food talk about turning down the thermostat and sweating at normal room temperature.

Well, as usual Zach was probably right to tell me to sleep warm and take a warm bath to heat up. I have been over the top down today and just took a rest with an enormous heated rice pack over my torso and now I'm feeling WAY better. I've been taking my daytime temp and it is certainly low almost a whole degree from my waking temp. I'm going to keep heating up the pack and trying to keep my temp up.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    PaleoMom, so glad to hear that you're feeling better. I'm sorry you were feeling so discouraged and frustrated. Just wanted to encourage you to hang in there and keep at it, no matter which direction you are now looking toward. What you've been doing and are continuing to do is no small undertaking and it is going to pay off and be worth it. This process of seeking, learning and giving different promising approaches a shot is the only way we'll ever see improvement. I admire your efforts and appreciate your sharing your experience with so many of us. I'm not surprised that so many can relate and we are learning from you.

Stay toasty.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Thanks Jen I needed that!

I've kept the heat pack on this evening and I'm dressed warm and keep drinking/eating hot things. I'm sweating a ton but keep feeling better and better. Amazing, really. How can I feel so bad at a temperature that I used to feel good at? I don't know what to think of that, but for now all I care about is my heat pack and my thermometer. I'm even doing my taxes tonight, something I was worried I'm might not be capable of doing.

Whoa, TAXES? You must be feeling MUCH better! Maybe if I wrap myself in garbage bags and sweats like wrestlers do, I'll be able to pull off a Tazmanian devil cleaning job and have my house spotless before bed?!

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    Whoa, TAXES? You must be feeling MUCH better! Maybe if I wrap myself in garbage bags and sweats like wrestlers do, I'll be able to pull off a Tazmanian devil cleaning job and have my house spotless before bed?!
    Maybe! I'm pretty uncomfortably hot but it is working miracles on my mind and general alertness. I feel almost normal and my temp is only up to around 98. I wonder if this is why I always feel best in the morning, because my temp is up at that time and then starts heading back down.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Maybe! I'm pretty uncomfortably hot but it is working miracles on my mind and general alertness. I feel almost normal and my temp is only up to around 98. I wonder if this is why I always feel best in the morning, because my temp is up at that time and then starts heading back down.
    I am wondering the exact same thing! I'm up every single night between 2:45 and 3:00, usually wide awake and not getting tired until between 6:00 and 7:00 when there's no chance of going back to bed since the mom thing is in full swing by then. I've just assumed it was all about cortisol. Were you one of the posters who was experiencing this same thing? (I know a few women here were, but I can't remember who now that there are so many posting on the subject.) I know my adrenals are lousy, and I've always attributed most of my problems to backward cortisol levels.

I have a question for you - do you like warm weather, or despise it like I do? I feel blah and worthless pretty much all summer long, and it drives me nuts. I've been that way for years. I'll take the cold weather over the heat of the summer any day. I started thinking about that earlier today while enjoying some pretty perfect weather. Curious to see if there's any correlation there.

I live in flip flops year round and just this year had to cover my feet up during the coldest times. I can't remember how long it's been since that was the case. Hmmm....

Forgive me if you have already mentioned all of this, I'm not keeping good track of the info from everyone's earlier posts on this subject because I haven't been able to keep up.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't wake it the night like others. I've spent many years building up my adrenals from the bottom of the pit though. They aren't perfect, but they are a million miles from where I started.

I'm just like you about the heat. Summer is my least favorite season. I don't like the feeling of being cold either but I'm more cold tolerant than most people around me. Our winters get highs in the teens and twenties and I don't feel uncomfortable out in that unless I'm out for a long time. I usually just wear a vest. A jacket isn't uncomfortable but isn't necessary either. I also keep my house around 62-65 degrees in winter. We do have floor heat though so that makes it comfy at a lower temp, but when I go to others homes or public buildings I'm always really hot. Before working on my adrenals though I cranked the heat and was always cold but still couldn't take the summers either. I've never lived in a place with really hot summers, just high 70's - low 90's at the most. I can't imagine living someplace that gets really hot! When I take trips to hot places I become super inactive and can't find the energy to do anything.

I love flip flops and where them a good portion of the year too. When it's wet or snowing though I do find better things to wear

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast