Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: PaleoMom's Diet Recovery page 11

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    LowTemp

This stuff is very interesting and has me really thinking. At the end he mentions dressing somewhat over warmly to avoid adrenal fatigue during this warming up period. I enjoy light clothing and bare feet and certainly have not been doing this, much the opposite actually. I've been experiencing more sensitivity to caffeine lately. I've always been sensitive but now even my one mug of weak white tea gives me trouble, which brings me to thinking I'm giving my adrenals trouble again.

My energy came up for a bit after increasing my liquids, but has gone back down again, though not nearly as low as before. I'm wondering if all this heating up could help me. I'm also wondering if I've still not been drinking enough water, I might try pushing to a bit too.

I'll also be taking my daytime temp a few times now. I've only been doing a morning one, but now I'm curious if I'm dropping during the daytime.

I went to the dentist yesterday and he said I have a cavity. The first one in my whole life. He only looked at it with a camera and for a few seconds. I'm actually going to get a second opinion, as he seemed really careless. I have always had an exceptionally deep groove in my back molar and he said he thought it was a cavity because it was deep. Never looked with his eyes or poked it with an instrument. New Dr. too.

That put me in a bad mood but also had me feeling like the more I try and take care of myself the worse things get sometimes! I'm sitting here with my first cavity, terrible fatigue (something that I fought for 15 years to get rid of and finally did last year and now I've brought it all back) and my flesh is bursting at the seams. I'm still getting heart palpitations (though much less than it was). I feel broken. If nothing else I just want my energy back. I have no idea how to undo what I've done. Go back to starving myself? That doesn't really make sense. Just feeling like I've run out of options.
    Oh no Paleomom... I'm so sorry to read that. Believe me, I know exactly how you feel. I hit some lows during the last few weeks, but I'll tell you - the time when I started doing oil cleansing method and I could literally see new wrinkles forming on my face on a daily basis was incredibly upsetting. I felt exactly as you do now - that the more I was trying to help myself, the worse I was getting.

This is kind of an abstract thing to say, but I'll say it anyway. What I've learned is that we get on winning or losing streaks. Things were going really wrong in my life around Christmas: I was on a losing streak, and everything I tried made my life worse. Now I feel like I'm on a winning streak: the right answers seem to be coming.

I think maybe you need to take some time away for a day or two. Would you be able to do that? Could you book into a spa? It sounds like you need to clear your head and get some space from this whole process.

Just a few questions:
    Is the only thing you've changed in your diet your quantities?
    Are you still eating over maintainance?
    Have you started cutting?
    Also, when was the last time you had bloodwork done?

Hugs to you...!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Thanks YB, I know you are right but when I'm this tired I can hardly think and it is hard to remember that sometimes things are great!

I'm eating all the same foods as before just more.
    I don't think I'm eating over maintenance anymore. I'm trying to eat "just enough". I'd guess I'm around 1800-2100 lately.
    It has been a while since I've had bloodwork done. The thing is though is that I was feeling great before starting all of this and the change was quick, which points to my new changes being the cause.

I would love to get away for a bit but I have two homeschooled kids and a DH who is sick. I can't leave any of them!

That guy's article on intelligence was interesting. I feel really stupid right now, putting words together is particularly difficult, but also thinking back on my past: When I was 15/16 I had not only those two knee surgeries but I almost bled to death (mysterious hemmorage) and had a terrible concussion that caused some temporary memory loss and left me dizzy for weeks. Hard to know what caused what but I never recovered my IQ after that. I used to think very differently and now it feels like the harder I try to think about something the more my mind goes blank. Sort of like trying to stare directly at something in the dark, you have to use peripheral vision to see, if you stare at something it just goes black.

I'm curious if the lost intelligence was from blood loss and/or the concussion or from lower body temperature from all the above...

It's really hard to know what it is... I know that I felt exhausted for two weeks, and then my energy came back - quite suddenly. Then I crashed when I got back to London, but that was how I discovered the body temp thing...

Maybe you're right when you say it's your adrenals. Maybe your temp is being pushed up by adrenaline. Do you sweat when you feel hot?

Try taking it a few times today and see how it is. Also - put on several pairs of socks! I can't believe what a difference this is making to me - my feet are burning up, but I've stopped sweating.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

That guy's article on intelligence was interesting. I feel really stupid right now, putting words together is particularly difficult, but also thinking back on my past: When I was 15/16 I had not only those two knee surgeries but I almost bled to death (mysterious hemmorage) and had a terrible concussion that caused some temporary memory loss and left me dizzy for weeks. Hard to know what caused what but I never recovered my IQ after that. I used to think very differently and now it feels like the harder I try to think about something the more my mind goes blank. Sort of like trying to stare directly at something in the dark, you have to use peripheral vision to see, if you stare at something it just goes black.

I'm curious if the lost intelligence was from blood loss and/or the concussion or from lower body temperature from all the above...
    That's really interesting... An experience like that would definitely register as a huge shock for your body.

What was your body temp to begin?

Edit: btw, Ray Peat also writes a lot about the connection between intelligence and metabolism
    http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/intelligence.shtml
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-13-2013 at 10:15 AM.

- Ray Peat

Pudsey is offline Junior Member
    Hi paleo mom,

I just stumbled upon your thread and you talk of lethargy and being cold...have you had your thyroid checked?

Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Pudsey View Post
    Hi paleo mom,

I just stumbled upon your thread and you talk of lethargy and being cold...have you had your thyroid checked?

Debbie
    not recently, but many many times in my life. It has always been normal.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    That's really interesting... An experience like that would definitely register as a huge shock for your body.

What was your body temp to begin?

Edit: btw, Ray Peat also writes a lot about the connection between intelligence and metabolism
    Intelligence and metabolism
    Years ago it was in the high 95's (about 15 years ago) and it has slowly come up with all the healing stuff I've tried over the years. When starting to up food intake I was 97.6 almost every day during the cold part of the month. Not terrible but no ideal either.

Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    It's really hard to know what it is... I know that I felt exhausted for two weeks, and then my energy came back - quite suddenly. Then I crashed when I got back to London, but that was how I discovered the body temp thing...

Maybe you're right when you say it's your adrenals. Maybe your temp is being pushed up by adrenaline. Do you sweat when you feel hot?

Try taking it a few times today and see how it is. Also - put on several pairs of socks! I can't believe what a difference this is making to me - my feet are burning up, but I've stopped sweating.
    I sweat when I'm hot, but not heavily. I'm all bundled up today in thigh high sock and a sweater, sipping hot herbal tea and I took a really hot shower. In general I feel very lethargic in the heat, or a warm house and get more energy when it is a bit cooler. I feel more like I can breathe. I hope this isn't just because I've been ruining my adrenals again by avoiding the bad feeling of the heat. This feels very counter intuitive.

I sweat when I'm hot, but not heavily. I'm all bundled up today in thigh high sock and a sweater, sipping hot herbal tea and I took a really hot shower. In general I feel very lethargic in the heat, or a warm house and get more energy when it is a bit cooler. I feel more like I can breathe. I hope this isn't just because I've been ruining my adrenals again by avoiding the bad feeling of the heat. This feels very counter intuitive.
    This is going to sound strange but - I can really relate to this. Get this: my temp is so low, but if I start to feel in the least bit warm I'll drink an ice cold beverage. My temp is can't be more than 36C (96.8F) when I do this, but I feel like I need to cool down. The body wants to go back to its familiar set point.

I feel uncomfortable with how hot I am right now (you'll laugh when you read how many clothes I'm wearing) and I'm dying for some cool air, but my temp is only 36.3C (97.34F) right now!

Sometimes we have to override what's familiar.

Supposedly raising body temp makes people more tolerant of the heat...

- Ray Peat

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast