Thread: How to get started page

danceswithducks is offline Junior Member

How to get started

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone, I know this is probably been asked before and I'm sorry.

I am 5'10 260 pounds. I recently had back surgery and really cannot work out yet. My diet is pretty piss poor. I do paleo/primal for a day or two then I have intense cravings. I also have a problem of just eating to eat, and not even being hungry. Is this a medical issue or am I not getting enough of fats to sustain or what? I am scared of eating high fats. I have known about paleo/primal for a couple of years but have never truly delved in. I want to though. Also, not being able to work out scares me to not eat the high fats. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Click on the Start Here button at the top of the page - that should get you started.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If you are "scared of eating high fats" and don't do it, then you've never been on primal for a single day.

Deliberate restriction is a great way to sabotage any weight-loss diet or way of eating.

That makes absolutely no sense. I didn't say I didn't eat high fats because in fact I did. I said it scared me to eat them because I would have intense cravings later then binge eat, which after eating higher fats would in fact cause me to gain more weight.

Maybe I should have used a different title, more about the fats and cravings.

primaLeaf is offline Senior Member
    The cravings are definitely normal and will eventually either go away or be greatly reduced. The more you commit to not giving in to them, the faster it will get better. A lot of people have found that adding more fat when a sugar craving hits helps ease the transition.

As far as fear of fat goes, you realllyyyy reallllyyy should read this:

The Definitive Guide to Fats | Mark's Daily Apple.

Mainstream nutrition hates on fat so much that it's hard to let go of the fear. It is unwarranted though. Promise

Thanks for the reply primaLeaf, I appreciate it. The cravings have been pretty intense. I just need to suck it up and do something about it and not give in.

ffqszuwk is offline Junior Member
    which after eating higher fats would in fact cause me to gain more weight.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I couldn't do cold turkey but I could do gradual. My old world food was on a very regular 7-day cycle. Each week I would identify the most offensive item and replace it with something more wholesome. Sort of like pruning a garden.