Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High prolactin levels page

mevs38 is offline Junior Member

High prolactin levels

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I am pretty new to this whole PB, marksdailyapple and have been doing crossfit probably, umm, I'd say a little over a month now. I also keep track of my eating at fitday.com. I've been enjoying reading the different threads, they're great and have been very useful. So thanks.
    Well, I have a twin sister that has been doing the same diet and same exercise routine for about the same amount of time as me. We call each other, give each other advice, exercise ideas (because I actually go to a crossfit gym and she doesn't.)
    She has mentioned to me that she does cheat every now and then, while I have been pretty much 80/20 or more!
    Well, I finally saw her last weekend and noticed a big difference in her weight loss compared to mine. I am very happy for her because she did have more weight to lose then me. So, since I started my diet and exercise routine, I have noticed a change in my physique but also noticed the scale actually has stayed the same, (I'm comparing myself to my twin) and thought for as much work as I am doing both exercise and crossfit, I thought I see greater results.
    The thread that peaked my interest the most has been the one of the no menstrual cycle and the other has been about the weight gain/no weight loss.
    I haven't had a period this past month and I am someone that has been regular all my life. Well, I took myself to see my gynecologist and his nurse called me today to tell me that my prolactin levels were high. I am not pregnant! My husband has had a vasectomy, so it is impossible.
    I am reading on the internet how there might be correlation with no period, high prolactin levels and weight gain. From what I can see high prolactin levels can be temporarily caused by high protien meals, which I've been doing, recent exercise, emotional or physical stress, (CROSSFIT).
    I am going to visit with the doctor tomorrow to see what he recommends and I guess I will take it from there.
    I know this was very long and I'm sorry, but from what I've been reading from others, I feel we're in the same boat. I will keep anyone interested posted.
    Thanks,
    Maria

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    This is interesting! Thanks for sharing! Do keep us ladies updated on what your doctor says.
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Well, I'm cutting back on protien, and adding more vegetables. He said it was nothing to worry about and probably stress related. He wants to see me in a month.
    How much is too much protien.? The one day I tracked it was 117 grams :-/

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    I eat 60g of protein/day. If I go above 80g I can't loose weight and over 100g I gain weight.... I don't know if I am just weird but I think for loosing weight you should lower to about 80g and see if that works better for you. Make sure you are replacing the protein with fat calories too, not just veggies.

Thank you, I will definately try that. I actually had about 71 today. What do you do for fat and carbs?

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    You can read my journal (click on my profile and find "all posts"). I eat mostly asparagus and sweet potato (no more than 2/3 cup of the tubers per day and never all in one meal, some days very few carbs but my average has been about 40g/day) and I haven't weighed myself but I'm guessing I've lost 6-8 pounds in the last 3 weeks, with 1 minor cheat day included. I drown everything I eat in grass-fed butter, tallow, or bacon fat. I mix in about 3 TBS of butter for every 1/2 cup of tubers I eat (I know, it's a TON of butter!)

Ha-ha, i love butter. I always stayed away from it but now that I can eat it, I'm really enjoying it!!
    Thanks Zoe, I will go read your posts, Although it sounds like I should cut on my carbs down too! 

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    i eat mainly the fattiest cuts of meat (think porkbelly, tongue etc), drown everything in butter and my protein is about 15% while fat is 75-80& and carbs closer to 5%
    challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    Zoe that's another thing I'm working on right now, reducing protein. I would easily eat 110-120 grams of protein per day, which is more than 1g/pound of lean body mass for me, and my hubby mentioned that it might be a reason that I've been gaining weight (not all muscle either). This past week I've been supplementing my meals with CO, having it in tea or hot water or coffee, and I've been substantially less hungry, and have finally had days where protein was around 60ish grams (more in line with the .5g/lb LBM that I need). My carbs are higher this way, more like 80-100g/day I think, so we'll see what happens over the next few weeks.
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow! So maybe I'm also eating too many carbs also? I'm averaging about 30 % daily. Fat about 34%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast