Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No strength in arms.. page

No strength in arms..

Hi there,

I just got a copy (translated) of Mark's book. At the end, he gives us a weight training : push ups, sit ups and tractions. Well, I am a man, 29 years old with maybe 30 pounds to lose and even if I put my knees down, I can't do more than 10 push ups? Is that normal? at the 10th one, it hurts like crazy. Same thing with sit ups, I can't do more than like 10-12....I am very ashamed of myself.

Is this normal when you start. I feel like I'm a big ball with no strength at all this is pathetic.

WIChuck is offline Member
    I started the same way last year. It's pretty normal if you haven't been working out.

I had to start with wall pushes and work from there. Even after a year, I'm still working my way into good shape. Granted, I'm a lot older than you, but it does take time.

Here's a page with a video where Mark demonstrates pushup progressions from wall pushes to more advanced pushups.

How-To: Proper Pushup Technique | Mark's Daily Apple

If you haven't gotten it yet, get the Primal Blueprint Fitness e-book which will walk you through things.

Primal Blueprint Fitness | Mark's Daily Apple
    Last edited by WIChuck; 03-31-2013 at 10:52 AM.

thank you!!! I have never really lifted weights all my life because i was believing chronic cardio was the best thing to do ...since i can run 40 minutes easily, i can't do 10 push ups...lol sad but true!

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Everyone has to start somewhere!

It's normal for someone who hasn't done a specific movement to be very weak at it in the beginning. Trust me, if you keep at it and continue to work at the push ups, you'll find that they get easier and easier each week.

Just keep working hard! Also, don't get down on yourself. You're taking the first step, which is often the most important. You are making the choice to improve your life and get stronger. Feel great about this decision to move forward, despite how hard it may be at times.

Jake
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Kinnell is offline Member
    There are plenty of people who can't do a single push up, so doing 10 is pretty reasonable for someone who's out of shape. Don't worry about where you are now, focus on where you're going. If you can add just 1 push up to that every week, you'll be doing sets of 50 by the end of the year.

but when mark says 50 push ups as routine workout...isn't the minimum?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalcanadian View Post
    You do what you can do to start.

When I was in high school I decided I was never going to do bent knee girly pushups, and I worked my way up to 25 men's pushups. Last year when I started to work out again, at almost 200 pounds, I wasn't able to do a single men's pushup. What I did was take the pushup position, lower myself slowly to the floor, and try as hard as I could to push up while keeping my body straight, until I had to give up. One of those was a workout. Now I can do 25 regular pushups.

Stay with it.

Kinnell is offline Member
    That's your goal. The idea is that if you can do 50 push ups that's as strong as you ever need to be from a health point of view. It's an impressive amount of push ups by most peoples standards.

and to lose 30 pounds, like 5-6 months?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    and to lose 30 pounds, like 5-6 months?
    That's a reasonable goal, but this isn't a weight loss diet. Some people lose faster or slower. Some people overeat and don't lose at all until they get that under control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast