Thread: Well, That Was a Mistake. page

firemart is offline Member

Well, That Was a Mistake.

Shop Now
    Yep. I screwed up. I drank another beer and a half last night. That's 2 nights in a row. This morning I tried BP coffee again, but I'm hungry as hell.

I'm frying 3 eggs in bacon grease to atone.

I also skipped my dose of local honey. Now, I'm sneezing and hungry.

Damn you wheat.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Dude. Get the beer out of the house for awhile. Time to man up, be strong, and fight the urge.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    We all mess up from time to time, but like Gladmorning said above, get everything that will hurt your progress out of the house and fight as hard as you can to resist temptations. Just remind yourself that it will be worth it in the long-run.

Jake
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I've been drinking a lot of beer lately... It's just some kind of itch I'm scratching. In its purest form beer isn't wheat-based, it's just malted barley, yeast, hops, and water--of course, good luck finding any kind of pure beer for a decent price. I've been on a Great Lakes kick (they claim to follow the Bavarian purity law, only using the 4 ingredients listed above with "no chemicals or preservatives added" but that doesn't mean they don't use some synthetic ingredients during the brewing process as filters or whatever), and I don't feel any worse for the wear. I feel better giving into my cravings, riding them out til they go away, than I do denying myself what I want--which inevitably ends up with me binging on it after a week or two of successful resistance. This strategy worked for me with yogurt, I allowed myself to pig out on it until I didn't even want to look at it anymore, and now I've successfully (and easily, since I have 0 interest in it anymore) avoided it for maybe 5 months (though that followed about a year of serious binging).

Some folks never get tired of certain things, though. I suppose it's different for me. I get attacked with an instant headaches and stomach bloat/cramps. So, beer, unless gluten free, is definitely a compromise for me. I had a Guinness last week on tap. Who could resist that? But yeah, I paid for it.

I dunno, man. I know it's hard. I'm the same way with potato chips. If they're in the house, I'm going to eat them. Just gotta make it up in your mind that it's not the best thing for you at this time, and move on from it.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I blame it on my Irish genes... beer and potatoes are always calling...

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    Yeah, I blame it on my Irish genes... beer and potatoes are always calling...
    Oh, I commiserate. Irish girl over here too. Pale skin and Orange hair to boot. It's hard saying no to beer. It's hard saying no to potatoes. But, I do. It's getting easier. Now, if only I could get my Thai boyfriend to stop eating rice so much.

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    Focus on what you CAN have! As someone here said, our everyday diet is what other people have on vacation. When the urge to splurge comes on, don't beat yourself up, don't do a dramatic "No, I must not!". Just notice, "Hm. Really wanted a beer just then. Where's my steak?"

If you focus on deprivation, sooner or later you'll fold, but if you focus on the positives it will work better if you're anything like me.

ffqszuwk is offline Junior Member
    I feel better giving into my cravings, riding them out til they go away

Dickson is offline Senior Member
    I set nights for drinking beer, specifically Friday and Saturday. I drink it, enjoy it, and love it. Then, Sunday I fast till night time and enjoy the healthiest, primal meal I can and get back on the wagon. On Wednesday at Trader Joe's I saw that they now carry the Ayinger Weizen-Bock for $4 a bottle (usually way more and harder to find), so I bought it and held on to it till Friday. Cracking it was a celebration, and I even feel that if Grok was given a bottle of something quality he would have took it and ran away like a happy circus chimp who found a still-lit cigarette.
    Last edited by Dickson; 03-31-2013 at 10:55 PM.