Thread: First SUCCESSFUL Fast! page

ikaika is offline Senior Member

First SUCCESSFUL Fast!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    After a huge, huge, accidental upset that almost made me cry (think: ingesting about 75 gms sugar by accident. I DON'T wanna talk about it! It sucks. I've berated myself and moved on!) I decided to try a 24 hour fast again. And I did it, from 5pm to 5pm. Woo! I didn't feel miraculous amounts of energy-- quite tired actually (markedly) even though I was well rested, but I did it. I guess i don't know what i was supposed to expect!

Anyhow, I threw a dill & lemon lobster tail on the grill and had it over a spinach, olive oil, and avocado salad. Awesome dinner

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Congrats!!!! Now for a 36 hour fast? 8)

Meggilizz is offline Senior Member
    Awesome!!!! Do you feel back on track since the evil-sugar-incident???
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    I do feel back on track! I think I could've done 36 hours, but I feel perplexed about the point? I mean, I didn't feel spectacular during the 24 hours. Way way too sluggish-- enough for friends to comment on. So, to me, it worked to get 'back on track,' but what am I missing??

-写

Meggilizz is offline Senior Member
    I've read in the huge IF thread (I think?) that there isn't much of a benefit doing more than a 24 hr fast.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    I'd stick with 24 hours if I were you. I've done 36 hour fasts and at the end of it I just feel WEAK. 24's AOK, kind of fun even, but 36 is pushing it!
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    I don't feel much of anything energy-wise during my fasts 24 or 36 hours. I am guessing my energy levels are relatively stable from drawing on stored fat as opposed to what's in the blood stream at any given moment which I think is the point of low carbohydrate, intermittent eating. I liken the process to running on a battery that is being trickle charged. The constant, stable power is coming from the battery (body fat, glycogen), but the battery is being recharged (food) at the same time. Energy supply is stable regardless of intake unless of course you stopped eating and run out of stored energy. I would think to keep intermittent fasting and train the body to run on the "battery" instead of the "direct current".

This process makes complete evolutionary and biological sense. In the body's quest for homeostasis a system of energy supply that is independent of actual intake would be the best way to go. I can't imagine living 50,000 years ago if we actually functioned like CW implies we do. Not finding food every two hours and we'd shut down, shrivel up and die? Not a very good system for survival. The body developed a system to supply a steady, reliable source of energy so that we could function optimally regardless of fluctuations in energy intake. It would be detrimental to survival not being able to have the required energy to catch food if you hadn't eaten in a day or two.