Thread: Gut healing time on primal/paleo page

donnie86 is offline Junior Member

Gut healing time on primal/paleo

Shop Now
    About 7 years ago i was changing to a more "healthy" diet and started to eat a lot of nuts and whole grains. For about 7 months I had the most excruciating stomach pain and no one could tell me why. Eventually i cut out almonds and the chronic pain went away, but unfortunately Ive never felt well since with many lingering symptoms.

Having narrowed down almonds as being the culprit during a restrictive diet, after about 6-7 weeks I returned to eating what i know now as inflammatory foods in abundance: whole grains (wheat, rice,oats), mixed nuts, dark chocolate, legumes and modest amounts of dairy. I really felt like i wasnt absorbing the foods and always felt hungry. I also had lost a lot of weight.

A few years ago I started taking mineral and vitamin supplements which helped enormously(!) as i was obviously not absorbing nutrients since the almond damage. I think if it took these supplements during the initial restrictive diet stage (straight after removing the almonds), i might have felt a lot better and made continual progress. My body clearly couldnt access the nutrients in the food due to the damage.

About 5 months ago i decided to toggle with my diet again after reading about paleo/primal eating and my health has really started to improve! I cut out grains and dairy 5 months ago and the pain in my body has almost vanished, then 3 months ago i cut out cocoa, and then 2 months ago i cut out nuts. I think nuts are the main cause of my problems to be honest. I love to eat them and could snack on them all day but i now know they are really high in anti-predation chemicals like phytic acid.

I think im on the right track now and I was wondering if anyone can comment on how long until i can expect my gut will be better and my symptoms gone? Any products or meds to help?

Thanks in advance

Do you take probiotics? You can get dairy free ones. I don't know how long it takes to fix a gut, everyone is different. But it is not cured overnight. Also try fermented foods as they have natural probiotics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra from NZ View Post
    Do you take probiotics? You can get dairy free ones. I don't know how long it takes to fix a gut, everyone is different. But it is not cured overnight. Also try fermented foods as they have natural probiotics.
    No I dont take probitoics. Ive tried it but it didnt do much if anything. Im also not really convinced by the science. Perhaps i should give it another go.

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Probiotics have been very helpful for my wife. She takes a probiotics supplement and we also make our own kefir with kefir grains which is supposed to be jam packed with probiotics. I'm not extremely sensitive to any particular food and also noticed a positive change. We're going to try fermenting some vegetables next. That's great that you figured out the main culprit to your health issues. Just keep going. It can take a long time to do the damage and a long time to recover. I would stay away from the quick fix. That way of thinking is exactly what drives our current health care system and will only prolong or mask the issues you are trying to solve.

Before moving in the Paleo direction, my daughter and I had these annoying symmetrical and very itchy rashes. Our doctors prescribed topical medicine. I don't remember the chemical prescribed. It did help with the itchiness but it didn't reduce the rashes. I asked my doctor if it could be diet related and he chuckled and said no. Shortly after that we eliminated wheat. A couple of months later, neither of us had any more symmetrical rashes.
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    I recently read a rather depressing study that found that 3 years after going on a strict gluten-free diet, celiacs still had measurable intestinal damage. They never really healed completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Timber View Post
    I asked my doctor if it could be diet related and he chuckled and said no. Shortly after that we eliminated wheat. A couple of months later, neither of us had any more symmetrical rashes.
    I went to one of the most expensive and respected gastroenterologist in Brisbane and when i asked if it could be dietary related, he said no way, and that a young guy like me should be able to eat anything i wanted. He then charged me about 1000 for a endoscopy. Makes me so angry on reflection

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Digestive Enzymes, Probitoics and HCL have helped me tremendously. I too have cut out nuts though and feel worlds better.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    As I understand it, the medical standard for diagnosis of celiac is a huge amount of damage to the villi. So once someone's gut is damaged enough to be diagnosed as celiac, there isn't the possibility of full recovery (hence the recommendation to stop eating gluten, rather than eat enough to 'qualify' for an official diagnosis).