Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calories and PB eating page

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hey gang! Just checking in here. Book read, re-read and re-re-reading it. lol. I've been grain free and sugar free for almost 1.5 months now. Loving it. I've even tested it by consuming a slice of bread once and a few corn chips. Yup, bloating and feeling worse now its completely out of our diets. Crazy how I was at once a artisan bread maker and can not believe how it must have made me feel. Never again.

Ok, enough about that, the question that keeping coming up in reading the book and then reading posts here is this.

1. For Ken Korg's diet listed in the book, he has eggs and some chicken, and then salmon. There is not much "Fat" in there. I do see some olive oil and some nuts. But every day I read people roasting pork bellies, eating tallow cooked parsnips and even straight butter eaters. (assuming all of you that are doing those things are eating grass fed, organics!) Ken's requested diet looks light on the fat. Could this be that the eggs were cooked in butter and not listed in the book? Was the salmon cooked in rendered lard? Curious.

2. When I cook my eggs in the morning I use range free eggs about 3, cooked in 1tbsp butter or lard. How do I count those calories? Or should I just assume "who cares, its just fat anyway and I can relax and know I am getting more fat this way."

3. Are people on this forum locating all their meats from farmers to get organics or do you shop at Whole Foods type stores? I've been buying animals that I've walked the farms on so I know how they were raised, etc. But many of you are obtaining things that I never see in stores like that such as bellies, lard and other fatty meats; are you getting them from the same type of store?

4. In the book Mark discusses about 1 page on meats. He says that Grok ate lean meats since animals were not fattened with corn and feed lots. I bought a cow that was pasture raised about 100 miles from me. That Porterhouse cut was marbled with fat. Should I not eat those cuts and only eat the leaner cuts that Mark eludes was the lean animals then? If so, why are there so many fatty meats that are being used in recipes on this site? Just curious.

Thanks all in advance! I am loving the new me!

dan

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Dan congrats on becoming Primal. I personally needed to experience it in order to be fully understand it, glad it's working for you as well.

My two cents:

1- No idea really

2- I'd say stop counting, relax and listen to your body. Cutting sugar seems to bring appetite levels back to normal, so following your cravings should be safe.

3- I have seen everything you mention in normal supermarkets, but not in Whole Foods or Farmer Markets. In my experience, you can request specific cuts to your butcher or in the farmer markets though.

4- Game meat and grass fed cattle can be rich in fat as well. Check jonw's post here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...it-okay-to-eat
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

#1. I don't have the book, but there is a fair amount of fat in the items you listed. Especially if you don't remove the good skin from the beasties.

#2. If you want to count calories, I don't see why you wouldn't just add the two together.

#3. If you want whole bellies, etc, you can get them from any grocery store that has a full service butcher. Certainly from Whole Paycheck. Might have to be a special order, but they can get it in for you.

#4. Erm. Yeah. Primal man didn't eat grain-bloated meat, but he did hunt bison, mammoth, Caribou, etc - all animals with large fat deposits (usually carried high on the withers to keep it out of the way so they could dip and dodge natural predators).

Now for a bit of editorial comment. You're overthinking it. You've made yourself an experiment of one and you've been going by how you feel and the results you see.

I'd keep doing that.

Microanalysing every little detail is just going to stress you out, IMO. The diet is only part of PB. A crucial part, to be sure, but still only a part of the whole.

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

Awesome thanks! My story in a nutshell (told this before in my journal) January was 250lbs, bought P90X, 2 rounds of, lost 53lbs as of today. I discovered Mark Sisson from end of P90X dvds, googled, found MDA. Love it. Bought book, crapped myself cause I was eating so much whole wheat and grains because of BB diets. Been grain/sugar/big carb free. Love growing my own food, buy whole animals from reputable sources. If I cant get certain meats, I don;t eat [them]. I refuse to buy from a chain grocery store.

Which leads me to my next question.

"In my experience, you can request specific cuts to your butcher or in the farmer markets though."

But I am 99% sure that all Cleveland butchers here in town including our Massive Farmers market carries commercially raised unhealthy animals. Looking for hog fat and or bellies means tons of pesticides and crap in the skin and fat. I wanted to seek out a belly before my pig goes to processing in October so I wanted to get opinions on where most of you head for your healthy fat meats.

Thanks!

dan

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

The farmers market I frequent here in NYC includes meat from here:

http://www.flyingpigsfarm.com/

Maybe they'll deliver to Cleveland?

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

maba is offline Senior Member

Pre-primal, I'd get meat from Hole Foods (lol, I've picked up this moniker too OTB)and local halal-meat store. Hole Foods chicken tasted like c***. Did the antibiotic-hormone-free for sometime. The local co-op carries tasty chicken but it's relatively expensive. Now I've found an Amish farmer whose meats are primal . I asked him for organ meats and he said he'll put in a word the next time he sends his animals to the slaughterhouse. I'm not sure if the meat sold at the halal(Islamic version of kosher) store is pastured, but it tastes good and I get only goat meat from there.

Dutch Leftern Guest

Grok probably couldn't count calories...just sayin...

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

Grok couldn't drive to the grocery store either...

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

Hi there! I think I've commented on one of your threads over at the BB forums...

If you're willing to cross over into PA, you're not far from a few good farms:

http://www.wildenfamilyfarms.com/Main/main.html

I can attest from personal experience that the pork is good. Just watch out for their smoked products as some contain nitrates. They also sell uncured thick-cut cottage bacon (delicious). The family, along with the Fair Winds Farm operates a large market just down the road (it's in the proverbial middle of nowhere).

Townline farm Poultry reserve - Linesville, PA

http://www.townlinefarm.com/

Also, if you're around that area, there are some good wineries - Volant, PA also one at Lake Wilhelm, Sheakleyville, PA.

It'll make a nice Saturday drive and the prices are extremely good. If you're looking for local veggies, milk, or other products, there's a few other resources I have. Just too lazy to type at this point!

maba is offline Senior Member

@mrd232: I bought my first batch ever of bacon from the farmer's market y'day. I've never cooked it before and must have eaten it once or twice at most. The only kind available was Hickory smoked and the Amish farmer assured me it was pastured. But on coming home I noticed, the maple cure used has nitrites, sodium tripoly phosphates and erythorbates (or some such ingredient) and the ubiquitous sugar and dextrose. Will look for the uncured ones next time, thanks for the link. Btw, I live in Western PA and I get my meats from Miller Farms near Grove City.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast