Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felt SO great for 8 months, then lost it all.... HELP! page

LindsayColeman is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Felt SO great for 8 months, then lost it all.... HELP!

I'm a 29 year old woman- Went Primal almost 2 years ago.
    When I started living in a Primal way (no grains, sugar, high good-fats, etc) I felt super awesome for about 8 or 9 months. I lost 30lbs of fat, had crazy high energy levels that were steady, was happy, and felt the best I've ever felt in every way. Then, nearly suddenly, my energy was lower, I started gaining weight, was moodier. My food intake had not changed. That was about a year ago. Since this time last year, I've gained back 25lbs and my energy has stayed low. In July 2012 I moved states and started a new job. I was severely stressed out. Severely. I'm pretty sure at that point I was suffering from adrenal fatigue and thyroid issues. I finally went to the doctor and go blood work. Everything was great except some of my thyroid hormones were *slightly* low.
    I've been on the lowest dose possible of synthroid since October (which I do not want to be on, but was desperate for help at that point). I've been gaining weight and still feeling very stressed and tired.
    I'm eating Primal but maybe having too much dairy... could that make my situation worse?
    Has anyone experienced something like this or have and knowledge of what I can do?
    I've been working out a couple times a week- Kettlebell stuff, rowing, bodyweight exercises. I am at a TOTAL loss as for what else to do. is it possible that I'm eating too few carbs? Too much protein? Maybe it's all just stress?
    But really, someone, PLEASE help.
    **PHOTOS: Dec 2011 and March 2013. See the difference?!
    IMG_6691.PNG lc 4654.jpg
    Last edited by LindsayColeman; 04-02-2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added pics

Little Women is offline Member
    If thyroid might be a problem, read up on thyroid and carbs--there seems to be a connection, so you might need some good, solid ones.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Could you post your thyroid lab values and the lab normal ranges so people can get a sense of what king of shape your thyroid is in?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Good idea.
    Here are my thyroid hormone levels:
    T4, FREE- me: 1.0 / lab norm: 0.8-1.8
    T3, FREE- me: 2.6 / lab norm: 2.3-4.2
    TSH- me: 1.01
    T3, REVERSE- me: 23 / lab norm:11-32
    FERRITIN- me: 49 / lab norm: 10-154

Also, here is my entire blood work results that I had at that time (October 2012)
    Screen shot 2013-01-10 at 8-1.46.16 AM.jpg

Thank you, I will look that up. I haven't heard about that before.

Fantazmic is offline Member
    Look into Salycilates....some people have only one symptom...weight gain....but fatigue is also another symptom along with rash tummy upset and asthma if the symptoms are severe......thyroid and salycilate intolerance is also linked.

Here is a great forum....just google salycilates.......

salycilatesensitivity.com

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Your T3 is on the low side. The optimum level depends on the person, and I do fine at half the lab range; many others need it in the high end of the range.

T3 controls metabolism. I have Hashi's, which often causes 'conversion' problems (the body converts T4 to T3), and when my T3 tanks, I get incredible fatigue and weight gain. The last time this happened (has happened 3x), I had to limit myself to 500 cal a day to avoid gaining weight until I could see my endo and get more T3. I have to take T3 separately (Cytomel), since my body doesn't convert well any longer.

Unfortunately, many doctors don't 'believe' in the T3 protocol (it's only about 20 years old!), but it may be that you need some T3.

With 'low' thyroid, intense exercise is one of the worst things you can do because it stresses the thyroid further. You may want to do more moderate workouts.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    +1 on upping your dose and possibly switching to dessicated thyroid. It's been amazing for me, and I don't have most of the problems I've seen in everyone that's T4 only. The only lingering symptom I have is being cold more often than normal.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I agree your T3 is kinda low. My Naturopath wants to see mid range usually. Hopefully just switching to a dessicated thyroid like Erfa will do the trick for you. I am now taking only T3 as I am very resistant. It can be a bit of a road to follow with a lot of trial and error to find out what works best for you.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Pilatesmom is offline Member
    I have been primal for 9 months now and am in the middle of a major legal custody battle. Lots of stress, cortisol and anxiety. I have gained 5 lbs and tons of belly weight it feels like. The only changes has been that I can't seem to fast like I was able to before. I am staying primal and decreasing dairy and caffeine significantly. I am doing my best to stick to veggies and protein pretty much only. Occasional glass of wine and dark chocolate. The stress is the only thing I see that we have in common. I feel like it happened overnight - belly fat and stress. Since I am already depressed by the stress, I am doing my best to supplement with 5-HTP, high quality fish oil, calcium/mag/vit D and vit B. I am also making sure to keep up my workouts, which were waning. If I maintain, I will be happy. Once the legal stuff is over, I will drop the extra stress weight fast. I feel ya though, good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast