Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Been primal for 2 weeks...... sugar tastes unpleasant! page

sonickel77 is offline Junior Member

Been primal for 2 weeks...... sugar tastes unpleasant!

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I've been a major sugar addict all my life, gorging on 250g blocks of chocolate on a regular basis.
    Doing this caused me to hit 222 lbs..... I dieted down to 160lbs in 2011, using some primal ideas, but I went back to eating "normal" food and put most of it back on again, up to 209.

After 2 weeks eating primal, down to 204, and the difference is amazing. My blueberries, plain yogurt and almonds for breakfast taste unpleasantly sweet to me now, and there's no sugar added! I may need to take up eating eggs and bacon instead..... Even sweet potato tastes too sweet to me.

Has anyone else found their sweet tooth disappear eating the Primal way?

Timthetaco Guest
    No, I still like sweet things. Sweet potatoes, fruit... I eat the hell out of raisins.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonickel77 View Post
    Hi, I've been a major sugar addict all my life, gorging on 250g blocks of chocolate on a regular basis.
    Doing this caused me to hit 222 lbs..... I dieted down to 160lbs in 2011, using some primal ideas, but I went back to eating "normal" food and put most of it back on again, up to 209.

After 2 weeks eating primal, down to 204, and the difference is amazing. My blueberries, plain yogurt and almonds for breakfast taste unpleasantly sweet to me now, and there's no sugar added! I may need to take up eating eggs and bacon instead..... Even sweet potato tastes too sweet to me.

Has anyone else found their sweet tooth disappear eating the Primal way?
    Good for you! Sounds like you are doing great.

The answer to your question is a big yes. My sweet cravings are minimal and things that others eat taste sickenly sweet now. Pretty common response to this way of eating. Keep up the good work!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    What kind of chocolate was that you were eating?

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    Nope, I still have a sweet tooth, and think I always will. I can't imagine plain yogurt and blueberries or sweet potatoes ever tasting unpleasantly sweet, and I've been strict primal since summer of 2011. I'm not sure how table sugar would taste, but i bet it would probably taste pretty good to me if I'm honest with myself I do wish my sweet cravings had vanished though, it would make passing up on holiday goodies easier. It's excellent that your sugar cravings disappeared, and so quickly at that. Keep up the great work!

LisaM is offline Junior Member
    Sweet tooth gone, just can't enjoy the old favorite junk food anymore. I've been primal for 6 weeks but have been 'testing' myself about once a week with the old food I used to love.
    Shocked myself the other day with a frittata with pumpkin in it - it was too sweet!!! How about that! The humble pumpkin!
    Tried some of my favorite lollies and had to spit them out - yuk! How did I used to scoff a whole bag of these in one sitting!
    Tried my old favorite donut with pink icing - dry, tasteless, icky! Not good food.
    Even my trusty favorite chocolate was not worth eating.

What has happened to my taste buds! Give me a pork chop with home made gravy, broccoli and carrots and I'm happy :-)

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Nope. Still got a huge sweet tooth but I do limit my sweets to occasional treats and not daily events.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    I went through a huge transition after my second week. I remember the night I had a glass of my favorite cabernet. It's a big, bold wine. I took one drink and had to spit it out. It tasted like a glass of honey. I went through this sugar sensitivity for about two more weeks. During that time grapefruit tasted like candies to me. Anything sweetened made me want to wash my mouth out with vinegar.

Things have normalized a little more now. My tastes have have accepted wine again and some fruits. Grapes are little natural balls of candy to me. I can only eat a few. Regular sweets, like my cookies yesterday taste... how do I say.... artificial? Definitely not worth it anymore. You're definitely not alone here. I won't promise it will always be that way, as your body is always changing. I found that it actually helped me get over the hump of my transition into primal.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I have 100% experienced this. Back in my SAD days I could eat a pint of ice cream in one sitting. Nowadays, it's hard for me to finish an apple, it starts getting cloyingly sweet after I've eaten half... Makes it really easy to resist things I thought I could never give up!

Lynx33 is offline Member
    I havent noticed too much of a change so far, but I've always hated sweets. I could never even finish a slice of cake at birthday parties because it would make me gag and want to vomit. It's even hard for me to eat sweet potatos now if I cook them too long, the sweetness is too much. My junkfood of choice was always salt and vinegar chips or some sort of meat...mmmm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast