Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: kid loves bread. alternatives? page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

kid loves bread. alternatives?

Primal Fuel
    My 21 month old daughter asks for bread constantly. We're staying with my family now, they eat bread, and feed it to her as well. Bread makes her constipated sometimes, so I try to limit it as much as I could. But she asks for it when she's hungry, and bread is considered healthy enough.

I always offer rice or her favorite fruits (bananas, pears) and vegetable (carrot), but she often turns them down and insists on bread.

The bread they buy from the store has a long list of ingredients that include margarine. Should I just bake bread for her? Or try something else?

My daughter spends quite a bit of time with my family, as both my husband and I work.

Zach is offline Banned
    You cant buy her a decent bread from either a local bakery or a coop?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Just because she asks for bread all the time doesn't mean you have to feed it to her all the time. She's a toddler and you're the mom. It should be part of her diet at most, not most of her diet.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Just because she asks for bread all the time doesn't mean you have to feed it to her all the time. She's a toddler and you're the mom. It should be part of her diet at most, not most of her diet.
    I agree. If she's hungry enough, she'll eat what you're serving. If absolutely necessary, there are gluten free breads you could buy/bake. My 2 and 4yo are quite happy wrapping lunch meat around cheese though, barely miss the bread.

Kool is offline Senior Member
    I just made this bread with rendered bacon fat instead of coconut oil and it was great!
    Paleo Bread Recipe - Health Extremist

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You cant buy her a decent bread from either a local bakery or a coop?
    This bread is already from a local bakery...no coops here. But I will look around more.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I usually don't feed it to her, it's my family members (her grandmother and aunts) that do. She does eat other foods, mostly white rice, veggies, eat, fish whenever we eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    I agree. If she's hungry enough, she'll eat what you're serving. If absolutely necessary, there are gluten free breads you could buy/bake. My 2 and 4yo are quite happy wrapping lunch meat around cheese though, barely miss the bread.
    You know, that's what I thought as well, but when she asks for something in particular, she will not put anything else in her mouth. I tried butter and cheese, but she refuses those. She just wants plain bread.

Zach is offline Banned
    Eh, if you are feeding her nutrient dense foods 80% of the time then some bread with questionable ingredients certainly is not a huge issue.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Eh, if you are feeding her nutrient dense foods 80% of the time then some bread with questionable ingredients certainly is not a huge issue.
    The question is...why is it necessary? It's void of nutrition and has questionable side effects on overall health.

The proper answer here is to stop feeding her bread, period. There is no nutrition requirement for bread. There's no reason to feed a child bread.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast