Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: kid loves bread. alternatives? page 6

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Your ignorance is why there is an obesity epidemic.
    Now I remember why I had you on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    It's irresponsible to raise your children on a diet of unhealthy, processed foods.
    I think that this is the crux of the matter. Is bread a processed food? Is bread unhealthy?

I would say yes to both, but at the same time I'm not going to make a fuss if my kids eat some when we are in public. I'm just not going to buy it for them

True story: This week my two eldest spent their pocket money on a packet of biscuits. It's their money and they can do with they like with it. Just like ultimately they have control over the foods they put in their body. It's not worth winning the battle only to lose the war.

True story #2: This week, friends came over and brought a cake (yes, I ate a piece to be polite). They left the cake, which I gave to the kids. The kids ate the icing but didn't want the cake part. So that went to the chickens
    Last edited by magicmerl; 04-01-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    It's irresponsible to raise your children on a diet of unhealthy, processed foods.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post

I think that this is the crux of the matter. Is bread a processed food? Is bread unhealthy?
    the bread in question contains margarine, so yes it's an unhealthy food. it also causes the child to be constipated, ergo, it makes her unhealthy.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Anyone who thinks grains are not that big a deal needs to re-read this "oldie but goodie".
    I can find arguments like that against meat and dairy, as well as fruit pretty easily.
    I do think that in no way should grains make up the base of our diet, ever. And if you need to exclude something to cut calories, grains are at the top of the list. I don't bother with them.

But I think in the scheme of things, a piece of bread and butter for most people is a neutral source of calories.Should the kid eat a piece of turkey, or some fruit? Yup. But there are a lot of perfectly healthy people that eat bread.

More and more I think that while we all may have issues with individual foods (I have a shellfish allergy, someone else can't have gluten), the real problem with the American diet is how slanted it has become to processed white flour and sugar and how those components dominate so many meals- the bagel at breakfast, the tiny burger on a big bun at lunch, pizza or pasta for dinner, snacks like cookies. It's not that grains are bad; it's that grains as 75% of your calories are.

Maybe we do need to overcompensate and keep the bread away from the kid.... but I don't know.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I can find arguments like that against meat and dairy, as well as fruit pretty easily.
    There's a vegetarian forum somewhere out there for you then, what are you still doing here?

But I think in the scheme of things, a piece of bread and butter for most people is a neutral source of calories. Should the kid eat a piece of turkey, or some fruit? Yup. But there are a lot of perfectly healthy people that eat bread.
    You mean they "seem" perfectly healthy. There are a lot of "perfectly healthy" people that smoke cigarrettes. I'm tired of this argument.

More and more I think that while we all may have issues with individual foods (I have a shellfish allergy, someone else can't have gluten), the real problem with the American diet is how slanted it has become to processed white flour and sugar and how those components dominate so many meals- the bagel at breakfast, the tiny burger on a big bun at lunch, pizza or pasta for dinner, snacks like cookies. It's not that grains are bad; it's that grains as 75% of your calories are.
    And you're saying this in the thread where the mom keeps saying that ALL her child will eat is bread? Hate to say you missed the point, but...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456