Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: kid loves bread. alternatives? page 5

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    When I was growing up, we always ate dinner at the table as a family, saying grace and all that. There was ALWAYS a plate of bread, 8 or 10 pieces for the the 5 of us. It ALWAYS got eaten. Usually spread with margarine (butter was a no-no in the 70's), jam, or used to make sandwiches out of whatever meat was served.

After leaving home, I ALWAYS ate bread with every meal. I could make a sandwich out of anything. End result, I was eating 6-8 slices of bread a day by the time I was 30.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You said "bread is never the right choice." I could come up with a million reasons where bread is a phenomenal choice. Millions of people - potentially billions - would kill for daily bread.
    Are you talking about poor people?

Is bread nutrient dense? No, but it's better than nothing, and it is a very inexpensive source of quickly digestible calories.
    Sorry to continue to point this out, but I'm getting seriously tired of arguing against straw men.

This child isn't suffering from poverty or having nothing to eat. You're not arguing the facts at hand.

If you are a world-class triathlete, you're probably not going to get very far eating purely paleo and you're going to have to supplement with at the very least rice, benign flours (yucca/cassava/tapioca, potato starch, arrowroot) and refined sugars to get the calories you need to perform. For a growing child, some added glucose may be highly beneficial - moreso than added fats. I don't consume bread because I rarely ever see the point, but if I were it doesn't make me a sinner.
    More straw men. The child is not a world class triathlete.

It's irresponsible to raise your children on a diet of unhealthy, processed foods. It's potentially worse to raise them in an environment of fear to eat a sandwich.
    Are you serious right now?

A 21 month old does not need bread. They have no longterm memory and will forget it quickly. You can easily give them fruit, potatoes and the the like with no harm. This is the perfect opportunity to remove the child's association with bread so they don't grow up addicted in some way. However, when they get older, the more control you try and place the further you'll push them away.
    OH MY GOD, ALL OF THIS AND YOU AGREE WITH ME!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You absolutely said grains = obesity.
    Show me the quote.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Is the child fat or in bad health?

I have to admit.... I'm a little leary of the "grains are bad" outside of people with grain allergies. I think it is an AMAZING source of easy to eat excess calories that don't provide much nutrition for the calories.
    Huh?

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Huh?
    I'm saying if you are fat and need to cut calories, bread is a great thing to eliminate. But if you need the calories and don't have a gluten sensitivity, why is it so bad? I guess the thought of a child, that is not fat, eating bread doesn't bother me. I don't think it is toxic or bad like chicken mcnuggets or something like oreos.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Paleobird Guest
    Anyone who thinks grains are not that big a deal needs to re-read this "oldie but goodie".

Why Grains Are Unhealthy | Mark's Daily Apple

And parents choose what children eat, not the other way around. Just sayin'.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I'm all for modifying cravings. Everyone sometimes wants a treat, so why not just displace what you're eating? Instead of eating cake, I'll eat cheesecake or ice cream. Both can be made relatively healthy, or at least not unhealthy. Just reassociate his bread craving with something else. After all, it's probably just a craving for starch. Potatoes, rice, etc. At 21 months old, it should be easy to reprogram his sense of taste.
    Yes, she wants/needs/craves starch. These days, it's either rice or bread she wants a lot of. She's gotten very active lately, running around, climbing stairs, etc.

The french fries were a hit, she ate a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    When I was growing up, we always ate dinner at the table as a family, saying grace and all that. There was ALWAYS a plate of bread, 8 or 10 pieces for the the 5 of us. It ALWAYS got eaten. Usually spread with margarine (butter was a no-no in the 70's), jam, or used to make sandwiches out of whatever meat was served.

After leaving home, I ALWAYS ate bread with every meal. I could make a sandwich out of anything. End result, I was eating 6-8 slices of bread a day by the time I was 30.
    I always ate bread growing up as well, and used to eat quite a lot. It was one of the hardest for me to eliminate from my diet.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I'm saying if you are fat and need to cut calories, bread is a great thing to eliminate. But if you need the calories and don't have a gluten sensitivity, why is it so bad? I guess the thought of a child, that is not fat, eating bread doesn't bother me. I don't think it is toxic or bad like chicken mcnuggets or something like oreos.
    So far, I guess I consider bread harmless, at least somewhat better than packaged chips, soda, cookies, candy? I'd gotten into arguments with people about not feeding her sweets and treats. It is not always so easy because my family and relatives are traditional Chinese and to openly disagree with them can become disrespectful (even when that's not my intent).

So instead of saying 'bread is not okay', I'm hoping my daughter will like something else more nutritious then the situation becomes 'she prefers X over bread'.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    And parents choose what children eat, not the other way around. Just sayin'.
    In theory, yes.

In practice, it's a bit difficult. She's not old enough to understand what is good for her or not, and just eat what she's offered and go by taste. Everyone loves to offer sweets, candy, etc to kids. When I take these people aside to explain she doesn't eat that stuff, they don't take me seriously. But anyway, most of the time I manage to avoid her getting a taste. The few times she had a bite of cookie or cake (my back was turned, literally), she kept asking for more, and would whine nonstop when I said no. The only way is to not have them around her. Which is difficult outside our home.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast