Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: kid loves bread. alternatives? page 4

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    French fries. French fries are a great bread substitute. Bake them or fry them crispy. Good french fries should have kids totally forgetting about bread. And they're the cheapest, easiest things to make!
    Oh, great idea! THANKS! Off to bake some today!

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    I'd give it to hear sometimes. And possibly make your own sourdough rye bread without yeast etc.
    Billie trips balls

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I'm all for modifying cravings. Everyone sometimes wants a treat, so why not just displace what you're eating? Instead of eating cake, I'll eat cheesecake or ice cream. Both can be made relatively healthy, or at least not unhealthy. Just reassociate his bread craving with something else. After all, it's probably just a craving for starch. Potatoes, rice, etc. At 21 months old, it should be easy to reprogram his sense of taste.

My grandma made this awesome ricotta cheese cake for Easter. Ricotta cheese, eggs, sugar, vanilla. Pretty much it. I skipped the other 9 cakes and trays of cookies and went for that one. That's my mindset anyway.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    America is suffering from a childhood obesity epidemic and half the people in this thread's suggestion is:

"Give the kid bread because it tastes good, I don't see the problem and it's easier than fighting with your kid."

Because it tastes good? That's the best we can come up with? Isn't that why everyone is fat?

And we capitulate because it's easier than doing the right thing? Shameful. THERE IS NO DIETARY REQUIREMENT FOR NUTRIENT POOR BREAD. Step your game up and be a better parent. You're supposed to be teaching and leading your children, not capitulating to them.

Celiac or not, bread is never the right choice.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rebooted Body View Post
    America is suffering from a childhood obesity epidemic and half the people in this thread's suggestion is:

"Give the kid bread because it tastes good, I don't see the problem and it's easier than fighting with your kid."

Because it tastes good? That's the best we can come up with? Isn't that why everyone is fat?

And we capitulate because it's easier than doing the right thing? Shameful. THERE IS NO DIETARY REQUIREMENT FOR NUTRIENT POOR BREAD. Step your game up and be a better parent. You're supposed to be teaching and leading your children, not capitulating to them.

Celiac or not, bread is never the right choice.
    Your ignorance is why there is an obesity epidemic. That and corporations capitalizing off of the sick.

For the last time, gluten and grains do not directly cause obesity. There is a world of difference between wonderbread and a organic non gmo bread with only three ingrediants. You are probably worried about giving your child fruit because of fructose as well.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Your ignorance is why there is an obesity epidemic. That and corporations capitalizing off of the sick.

For the last time, gluten and grains do not directly cause obesity. There is a world of difference between wonderbread and a organic non gmo bread with only three ingrediants. You are probably worried about giving your child fruit because of fructose as well.
    My child eats fruit every day.

You're a troll that likes to come here and say the opposite of everything people should likely be doing. I didn't say gluten makes people fat, so stop with the straw men.

Zach is offline Banned

You're a troll that likes to come here and say the opposite of everything people should likely be doing. I didn't say gluten makes people fat, so stop with the straw men.
    You absolutely said grains = obesity.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Holy shit people like food that tastes good this is news. I guess we should all do what rebootedbody is doing and eat food that doesn't taste good and make ourselves enjoy it anyway
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Is the child fat or in bad health?

I have to admit.... I'm a little leary of the "grains are bad" outside of people with grain allergies. I think it is an AMAZING source of easy to eat excess calories that don't provide much nutrition for the calories.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member

You said "bread is never the right choice." I could come up with a million reasons where bread is a phenomenal choice. Millions of people - potentially billions - would kill for daily bread. Is bread nutrient dense? No, but it's better than nothing, and it is a very inexpensive source of quickly digestible calories. If you are a world-class triathlete, you're probably not going to get very far eating purely paleo and you're going to have to supplement with at the very least rice, benign flours (yucca/cassava/tapioca, potato starch, arrowroot) and refined sugars to get the calories you need to perform. For a growing child, some added glucose may be highly beneficial - moreso than added fats. I don't consume bread because I rarely ever see the point, but if I were it doesn't make me a sinner.

It's irresponsible to raise your children on a diet of unhealthy, processed foods. It's potentially worse to raise them in an environment of fear to eat a sandwich. Educate your children, but ultimately you have to let them decide for themselves. My children will know full well the pitfalls of a diet rich in grains, refined sugars and refined fats, but if they choose to eat it at the end of the day, I can't berate them for that.

A 21 month old does not need bread. They have no longterm memory and will forget it quickly. You can easily give them fruit, potatoes and the the like with no harm. This is the perfect opportunity to remove the child's association with bread so they don't grow up addicted in some way. However, when they get older, the more control you try and place the further you'll push them away.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-01-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast