Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Low Progesterone, High Cortisol - Any success in Regulating? page 3

jammies is offline Senior Member
    It's possible your progesterone is low because your body is stealing the progesterone to make all the cortisol you need to combat your stress. So I would focus your recovery on reducing stress, sleeping, eliminating caffeine and eating lots of high quality fats as they are an important part of making hormones.

That being said, low progesterone can make people feel pretty crappy. It may be worth finding a good health care practitioner who can help you supplement with a progesterone cream (bioidentical, NOT the pharmaceutical kind). In the US, you can buy it over the counter without a prescription, but too much progesterone can be a problem as well and monitoring what it gets turned in to will be important (it is the precursor for many of your hormones).

Finally, sex is a great stress reliever. I wouldn't cut back on that at all
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

simonb is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lea View Post
    I believe ED=Eating Disorder. Not the other ED

But definately get your numbers checked.

On the ED front, have you tracked calories to make sure you are eating enough or are you confident of that?
    These are good points. If it's a diagnosed eating disorder, you probably need proper medical supervision/input, both in terms of diet and in terms of the mind and how you think about food.

With eating disorder, your hormones will be completely out of whack. You need to get your diet back on track before jumping onto hormones and drugs.

Tracking calories is super useful, an active woman I guess would want to get 1500 calories at least in the day. I aim for 2800-3000 for maintenance (190pound male), a bit more when I workout. If you're recovering and your body needs feeding, I guess up to 2000 calories, perhaps others can help here?

At the gym I go to, there's a girl who is there EVERY time I go, spends about two hours there, doing cardio and yoga with light weights. She has a beautiful face, but weighs I guess around 70pounds (a girl buddy of mine weighs around 105 and is significantly larger than her). It's heartbreaking. The girl is slight anyway, but really needs to put on around 30-40 pounds, but I assume in her mind she needs to keep restricting calories and working out to stay "slim".
    Disclaimer: I have read some info about Ray Peat and think it may help me, however if you follow any advice related to Ray Peat you may start spontaneously guzzling OJ and Mexican Coke by the gallon, eating bags of sugar with a spoon, popping aspirins 10 times a day and buying loads of stuff from him that he doesn't sell.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Advising someone with a binge eating disorder to eat lots of sugar is irresponsible.
    +1. One wouldn't advise a junkie to shoot up more. One wouldn't advise a drunk to drink to satiation. On some levels both of those are easier to cure because you can live without heroin and alcohol. You can't put the tiger in the closet with food. You have to eat. A person with an eating disorder should first see an MD to see if there's a physical reason. If not, then they should find a shrink or psychologist who has actually had some success with helping people. Or even read about others' success stories that are verified.

Thinking that everything can be cured with a change in food is dangerous. And asking strangers on a forum that can barely stick to a topic these days is useless.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Yes, because one gets better from an eating disorder by continuously denying themselves huge amounts of healthy food. We've all seen how well that goes... If one needs personal evidence of it, simply look at Graycat, Yogabare, et al at how well they felt managing their ED by using overly restrictive diets like VLC.

If eating fruit creates a wild craving for more fruit, it's probably a sign that you perhaps need that particular food. I guarantee if you keep binging on fruit, eventually you'll get bored of it and stop doing it. It's only when you keep denying yourself food you want to eat, is when the problem escalates. I would just stop feeling bad about binging if it happens.
    ?
    I struggled with an ED for almost 10 years. This makes a lot of sense.

YogaBare's primal journal details a lot about overcoming binge eating that really inspired me. I read it only recently, and wish I had this kind of support back then.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    I struggled with an ED for almost 10 years. This makes a lot of sense.

YogaBare's primal journal details a lot about overcoming binge eating that really inspired me. I read it only recently, and wish I had this kind of support back then.
    Overcoming binge eating by allowing yourself a piece of fruit (instead of the cookies or cakes) is great.

This is not what Primal peeps have a problem with. We have a problem with the Peat peeps advocating eating straight sugar or some sugar beverage like sweetened OJ or sweetened milk or Coke.

If this strategy works for you, awesome. Then there are other anecdotes of people here who would be trying to stick to a weight loss plan and a piece of fruit would send them right into the cakes and cookies. I don't pretend to know that much about this disorder, just what I have read here and experienced second hand because my sister almost died of an ED.

I just think that each person needs to find what works for them, not be told by some stranger on the internet to eat more sugar and all will be well.

I wish you well in finding what works for you.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 08-08-2013 at 01:00 PM.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

I just think that each person needs to find what works for them, not be told by some stranger on the internet to eat more sugar and all will be well.
    This is true.

HFLC primal actually helped a lot with overcoming ED for me. Especially natural IF-ing. I liked to be able to eat until food and not think about food for a long time. And I was eating a low-fat diet for so long, the high fat foods was a huge part of the recovery. I was fine for about 2 years w/ about 50-70% of diet in fat, 20-25% in protein, and low carb (usually 50-80g range). It was only in the last few months I began to feel somewhat sluggish, and feel great after eating lots of the fresh tropical fruit around.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    This is true.

HFLC primal actually helped a lot with overcoming ED for me. Especially natural IF-ing. I liked to be able to eat until food and not think about food for a long time. And I was eating a low-fat diet for so long, the high fat foods was a huge part of the recovery. I was fine for about 2 years w/ about 50-70% of diet in fat, 20-25% in protein, and low carb (usually 50-80g range). It was only in the last few months I began to feel somewhat sluggish, and feel great after eating lots of the fresh tropical fruit around.
    Terrific. It sounds like HFLC primal helped you heal your metabolism to the point where something like fresh fruit is a great addition to your diet.

There is an MDA poster who used to post a lot but not so much lately named MamaGrok. Her's is the most inspirational story I have ever heard of overcoming what had been a life threatening binge eating disorder. She was the first person who really convinced me (back when I was a noob around here) that binge eating really is a disorder and not just a failure of willpower.

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was wanting to check in with the original poster of this thread. How are things going for you?

I'm going to be talking with my NP in just a few minutes about balancing out my hormones.

I needed to go off birth control for two months so that I can get the lab tests. Sadly, I've gained 7-8 lbs and my pants aren't fitting. It's all been in the hips and waist. So discouraging. I'm looking into my options, but the idea of spending $100/month on bio identical hormones may just be out of our budget. I see two other options-continue as is using Vitex and Primal and hope the weight gain stops or go back on birth control and suppress everything, but not get to the root of the problem.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123