Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I do with this whole chicken (young hen)?? page

primaLeaf is offline Senior Member

What should I do with this whole chicken (young hen)??

Primal Fuel
    Hey folks! Picked up a full (minus the feet, but head included) young hen at the farmer's market today. Excited to have it but a bit intimidated (it keeps staring at me). I was thinking I would poach it but I'm really inexperienced here. I want to use the whole bird, organs and all, and have some solid broth come out of it as well.

Your suggestions and guidance on how to prepare and cook this thing are greatly appreciated!

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    I would roast that sucka!!!! If you have a roasting rack(which will sit in the bottom of an oven safe dish), just put the stuffed and seasoned bird on that, cover with foil, roast at 400 degrees for about an hour, maybe longer depending on your oven(check internal temperature, 160 is ideal for fowl). If you don't have a rack, layer the bottom with veggies(potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc...)then place the bird on them, cover, cook.

I usually chop an orange, shallot or onion, and occasionally a jalapeno and put that in the bird.

Make sure to clean the bird thoroughly, then pat dry with paper towels. Let sit at room temperature for about 1/2 hr-1hr

For seasoning, salt, pepper, and maybe some paprika or cumin(really whatever you like) are what i do. coat liberally.
    I will then apply butter or coconut oil on the bird. Cover, cook, enjoy hope this helps.

Cheers,
    SG
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

primaLeaf is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, SoccerGrok, that sounds great!

My only thought is that it doesn't leave me with a broth to use for other stuff. I guess maybe I could use the head and the bones for that? I'm not at all sure how feasible that is.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primaLeaf View Post
    Thanks, SoccerGrok, that sounds great!

My only thought is that it doesn't leave me with a broth to use for other stuff. I guess maybe I could use the head and the bones for that? I'm not at all sure how feasible that is.
    After roasting the bird, cut off the meat, drop the carcass and any trimmings into a pot, covered with water, and simmer away.

Kool is offline Senior Member
    you could donate it to charity (me) but I like roast idea

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    You make broth with the bones, after all the meat is picked clean and consumed with a satisfied sigh. Whole roasted chicken is divine!

I cook mine similar to above, but without the foil cover. I like the skin dark and crispy. If it starts to get TOO dark, then I might cover it for a while.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I agree on the roasting. One of the loveliest ways to eat chicken and it's so simple.

And since I've started my 'don't throw anything edible away' thing, I also agree with making broth afterwards. I throw the carcass and any leftover skin in the pressure cooker with some vinegar and spices. When it's done and cool, I skim the fat off for cooking,* and then freeze the broth in either one portion sizes or in the ice cube trays. One poster mentioned that she uses a slow cooker for her broth and even grinds up the bones when the broth is done.

*A lot of people don't like the nutrition profile in chicken fat/schmaltz, but I like it for cooking or adding to chicken livers.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    If it contains the innards, the liver is delicious just fried in butter. The heart and kidneys can be chopped and added to stuffing for the bird, or kept to make a stock with the gizzard, head, bones, skin etc after it has been roasted and enjoyed! Shame it hasn't got it's feet - they make for a stunning stock when added to the bones.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    And since I've started my 'don't throw anything edible away' thing, I also agree with making broth afterwards. I throw the carcass and any leftover skin in the pressure cooker with some vinegar and spices.
    You have leftover skin?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You have leftover skin?
    I know - now I have to turn in my "Grok is #1" badge.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast