Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should I do with this whole chicken (young hen)?? page 2

primaLeaf is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks for all the help!

So, I have to gut it, right? Like remove the organs, etc, before I stuff and roast it. Anyone have a guide or link handy that would show me how to do that?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Is there a hole in the bottom of your chicken? If so, reach your hand up there and pull anything out. They may not even be present because things like gizzards, hearts, and liver are finding a market again. If they are in there, just rinse them off and toss them in with the chicken when you roast it. After they're cooked, either eat them whole, or chop them up and saute in some chicken fat with onions, mushrooms, etc. Mix with a little rice, and you have a side dish.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Okay ya'll, it's in the oven. We'll see how this goes! Btw, upon further examination the organs had, in fact, been removed and the feet were still on. Chicken stock, here we come!

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Don't forget to add the feet to the stock when you make it! I tend to throw them in a saucepan with a little water and bering them to a boil, then take off the heat and rinse / scrub them to make sure they are clean before adding to the stock pan. They add a load of gelatine...

Roger that, Breadsauce. Thanks for the tip.

For anyone perusing this thread with similar questions, here is a super helpful step-by-step guide to chicken butchering:

How to Butcher a Chicken

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primaLeaf View Post
    For anyone perusing this thread with similar questions, here is a super helpful step-by-step guide to chicken butchering:

How to Butcher a Chicken
    That link is awesome! Thank you.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Clinej is offline Junior Member
    Steamed chicken over lettuce dressed with your favorite dressing. I like Asian style dressing. You won't believe how delicious a simple steamed fresh chicken can be!!

Tamari
    Sesame and olive oil
    Some nuts
    Cucumber
    Rice wine vinegar

CJ

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    cut it in half and grill it.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Drizzle a small amount of olive oil, enough for salt and pepper to stick to it. Then under each breast's skin, wodge some butter and chuck a couple of bay leaves inside the bird. Roast chicken has an awesome taste, so you don't want to muck around with it too much. Nice and simple is the winner here. Throw into a screaming hot oven then immediately turn down the heat to low. It'll be done when it's done. In the meantime, have some wine, and remember to cook your spinach in some chicken fat as an accompaniment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12