Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pickles?? page

PrimalEagle is offline Senior Member

Pickles??

Primal Fuel
    I am trying to confirm whether pickles are ok on this plan. I desperately need something crunchy that won't add too many calories or carbs. The pickles I have only contain:

Cucumber, water, salt, vinegar, natural flavoring, etc. 390 mg sodium, 0 calories, 1 g carb, sugars less than 1g.

I did a forum search for "pickles" and didn't find anything. for some reason I thought I recalled reading something about pickles being frowned upon b/c of the fermenting in vinegar (although lots of people use ACV and balsamic?). Thoughts?

Thanks!
    "If you won't be better tomorrow than you are today, what do you need tomorrow for?"

Bukawww is offline Senior Member
    would love to know this too...I have these huge awesome pickles in my fridge that hit the spot when I'm not quite filled up.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    I don't see why they wouldn't be.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Vinegar is fermented and not considered unprimal. Any pickles that haven't been sweetened somehow would also just fine.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Search the blog for pickles. There is an article about fermented things there.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I'm a big fan of pickles. Eat without guilt!

TxRain is offline Junior Member

Smile

Whenever I see "natural flavorings" on labels, I tend to put it down and walk away. I am extra careful though because I keep a gluten free house for my daughter out of necessity.

I have to say that it annoys me when people say, "I just make my own." I have 3 kids and work from home, so I am short on time. My DD has Celiacs so I spend so much time in the kitchen already.

That said, I just made the best pickles and it was so easy. My husband flipped when I told him that I made them myself. I just bought some sandwich cucumbers (they were called pickling cucumbers at the store) and I sliced them up. I bought some fresh dill, garlic and mustard seed, but you can use whatever flavors you want. I layered the spices and pickle slices. I put some pepper on top before putting the liquid in. While I did that, I boiled 1 gallon of water + 1 cup white vinegar (you could use acv, probably) and 3/4 cup pickling salt. Once it boiled, I ladelled it into the mason jar and put the lid on. I turned the jars over onto the lids and they even sealed. These need to be stored in the fridge at all times. Wait 24 hours to open. They are so crunchy and fresh tasting. It didn't take long either so I imagine I won't buy pickles again.

HTH

My dad made some really yummy pickled green tomatoes last summer. I had a cup of them with dinner tonight. Pickling really isn't that hard. My nephew picked green beans (I have the recipe on my blog.) Cool thing is you can pickle damn near anything. I've been pickling eggs for a while. It's about one of the easiest things you can do.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    I used your recipe for pickled eggs last night Diana. Cant wait to see how they turn out, I used raspberry wine vinegrette
    YAY PICKLED STUFF!

Ohh... that sounds WONDERFUL! Please let me know how it turns out! I would love to try it myself!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast