Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Still scared to eat! page 2

jillian is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Right on, brother! :Hulk Hogan voice:

Your young, in shape and doing butt loads of exercise, there is no way you can possibly blow up like a balloon. Like i said, the main side effect will probably be feeling awesome. Personally i would go a little lighter on the fat and higher on the carbs, at least the days you are exercising but go for those numbers and see how you feel.

Great! Thanks again

fpayqafa is offline Junior Member
    There are a few good eggs out there, but only a rare few.

liminal_luke is offline Member
    Maybe I'm not on your wavelength but I have to ask: are you really scared to eat? Perhaps you just have a flair for the dramatic in your writing. If the title really does speak to your emotional experience around eating then I'd focus on getting comfortable with food first before anything else. Don't worry about calories. Don't worry about the last 10 pounds. Don't worry about whether you look like you cross fit or not. Instead worry about getting more or less primal food that you like, and enjoying every single bite. Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full. Unless it tastes super, super good in which case have a little bit more. Do some exercise, not too much, just what feels good to your body.

Enjoy your food; enjoy your life.
    Last edited by liminal_luke; 03-30-2013 at 08:53 PM.

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know how you're functioning. I was crossfitting 4-5x a week at 1600 cals for about 2 months I lost muscle, felt like garbage and gained belly fat despite weighing less. Started eating to my hunger as long as its primal I'd say I average about 2300 cals. Losing belly fat, gaining muscle performing better. Food is fuel, nothing else. Can't run your car on fumes for long.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Most licensed nutritionists will tell you to eat vegan/vegetarian, low fat, high whole grains, limit red meats and eggs. Don't listen to them.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Lizard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liminal_luke View Post
    Maybe I'm not on your wavelength but I have to ask: are you really scared to eat? Perhaps you just have a flair for the dramatic in your writing. If the title really does speak to your emotional experience around eating then I'd focus on getting comfortable with food first before anything else. Don't worry about calories. Don't worry about the last 10 pounds. Don't worry about whether you look like you cross fit or not. Instead worry about getting more or less primal food that you like, and enjoying every single bite. Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full. Unless it tastes super, super good in which case have a little bit more. Do some exercise, not too much, just what feels good to your body.

I totally agree - you should be comfortable with food and perhaps take it easy with exercise the first few weeks (go for walks / yoga) - these days if I train to hard, I gain weight (almost like I'm stressing out my body or hormones) Diet is 80%, exercise 20%, but your body might take a while to adjust, be patient and don't stress :-)
    Nobody can imprison your power of imagination.

Restarted the journey:
    SW: 153lbs (Starting date - 05/08/2013)
    CW: 146lbs (13/08/2013)
    GW: 130lbs

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Hon, in all honesty, it sounds like your relationship with food is becoming rather unhealthy. If you are "fearful" to eat, emotionally you need to look at that. Food isn't the enmy, it nourishes your body. You're so young and if you can nip this disordered pattern of eating in the bud early, you can invite so much peace into your life. I'd suggest seeing a good holistic nutritionalist that takes into account your physical and emotional wellbeing. Best luck!

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Dear "Scared to Eat'. I get you as I felt the same way as I had lost 21 lbs and then decided to start crossfit. He's the short version of my experience:

I've been crossfiting and following Martin on Leangains (check out his protocol of 'lose fat, gain muscle).

In the beginning stages of crossfitting, I would workout once a day, and be so sore for the next 3 days, that it was a chore getting to crossfit because I was so sore all the time. At that point, i was eating 2 meals per day, low carb, high fat and moderate protein. I did my research and decided to make big changes to my diet because my goal is to build a very strong body.

Enter Leangains. I workout in the early morning and I follow that protocol.

5:30am - 10g BCAA
    6-7am workout - crossfit
    7am - 10g BCAA
    9AM - 10G BCAA

My eating window opens around Noon - 1pm and closes around 7pm.

I changed my eating from this: 70Fat/20protein/10carbs (1400 calories a day) to this;

150-160grams of protein every day, high carb on workout days (150grams) and low fat.

On non workout days, protein stays the same, fats are increased substantially, and carbs reduced to 50grams.

The results:
    1. No more belly fat (totally disappeared).
    2. I'm lifting heavier weights every week...getting some personal bests of around 15lbs in some of my lifts
    3. I sleep 10 hours per night
    4. I don't have DOMS any longer
    5. I've introduced protein powder to my diet as it's hard for me to eat that much protein without supplementation;
    6. I have more energy than I know what to do with
    7. I'm gaining muscle and losing fat quickly.
    8. My weight is hanging around the same place, but the inches around belly, love handles, back and legs are dropping.
    9. My muscle development is very exciting.
    10. I am in the process of increasing my weekly workouts to 4-5 x and I will adjust my eating again to accommodate the extra activity. To highlight: protein stays the same every day; high fats on non workout days, and higher carbs on workout days. IF is helpful, if you can do it.

At first, I was really afraid to increase my calories from 1400 daily to 2400 but I bit the bullet and jumped in. I continue to measure myself and pay less attention to the scale. I believe that I would benefit from more calories, as I shift from crossfit 3 x per week to 5x per week, and I'm going to make that shift soon.

The biggest benefit for me was no more DOMS. My recovery is fast and painless and I'm ready to get back to my next workout.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience here.

I am female, 49 and 5'11".

Don't be afraid to eat more, and as a guideline, check your intake on fitday.com to ensure your macros are in the ballpark.
    Also, determine your BMR and then multiply that by 1.5 or 1.7 to determine your TDEE. As you will see on Leangains, you increase your TDEE by 20% on workout days, and decrease by 20% on non workout days. Always figure out your protein needs first (lean body mass x 1.5 = total grams of protein). Next calculate carbs (100-150 or 200 on workout days). The rest is made up of fat.

On Non workout days: TDEE = -20%. Protein remains the same. Reduce carbs to 50-100 grams, and the rest is made up from fat.

Give it a go!

/louisa

/lu
    Last edited by Louisa655; 03-31-2013 at 05:27 AM.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Mr.Anthony, YOU ARE A YOUNG GUY. You get different rules. You get to eat more. You feed your body, it burns the fuel. We all know guys that eat food via front end loader that are lean.

Girls don't always get that, even when they are active. Sometimes even when you work out a lot your body hangs onto fat even f you watch what you eat because:
    1. We are programmed to be baby makers and need extra fat; our body does not want us to have the fat level of a fitness model because they would struggle to carry a baby. Last 10 lbs to your body may well be your babies nutrients. Probably if you have done cross fit for a year and kept on the same 10 lbs, you have dropped fat %. You may be headed to the zone of "you need that fat".
    2. We take things like birth control pills that mess with our system.
    3. We might be eating more than we realize, (I doubt it in your case), but I have been there "I eat salad, like 1000 calories a day" and leave out the 2000 calorie brownie ice cream binge. Primal pretty much eliminates that issue.
    4. Thyroid issues seem rampant- visit your MD for some tests
    5. Dairy can make some people bloat- try Whole 30- does eliminating dairy allow you to eat more and lose weight?

I would start eating more, say fuck it, track the calories and see if you "balloon up". I was all cranky about having to eat so little, and said fuck it and started aiming for 1800 a day. Boom, 3 lbs off. If you balloon up, by all means, cut your calories if desired. You can always go back. But give yourself a break. Because what happens when you get hurt and can't cross fit 5 days a week?Do you eat 400 or 500 calories a day? Not a good end.

I'd go get yourself non-hormonal birth control, (ie, an IUD or a partner with a vasectomy), get the thyroid tested and see if eliminating dairy helps.

I'd also do a good hard look in the mirror and think really hard if you need those last 10 lbs gone.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

jillian is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by liminal_luke View Post

I like this alot. Thank you for the advice, will definitely keep that in mind. Just trying to be the healthiest/happiest me I can be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast