Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAGE Smoothie anyone? page

bro0kiebaby is offline Member

FAGE Smoothie anyone?

Shop Now
    So I have a niece and she is in danger of going under the surgeon's blade to have her adnoids removed. I think the issue of her being constantly sick with a perpetual runny nose and intermittent bouts of pink eye has to do with her being on anti-biotics for the majority of her almost 4 years of life.

I believe she was 6 months old when she had to start taking the anti-biot'ICK' every night due to renal reflux... not my call, my sister was still alive and she was always a diligent and attentive parent- now since she passed the poor child has had five cavities requiring oral surgery and silver caps, the runny nose and pink eye that comes and goes and gets in both eyes at the same time! My guess is she's in dire need of a re-boot on her gut bacteria. Thanks to the recent blogging coming at such a timely moment- thanks Mark!- I realize this could be a simple fix and no surgery would be required. I hope!!

So my question is how can I get her to get some wholesome yogurt or cultured butter or kefir in her? I'm thinking FAGE smoothies, but I need some recipe ideas.. what have you guys tried that I could 'sell' her tastebuds on?

She's smart so I think I'll tell her that her princess belly needs some good knights to fight the bad knights so she stops getting sick, and if I make it strawberry - well, it'll be pink and that's her favorite color- so we'll make Princess Milkshakes.. But the kefir and cultured butter might be an easier sell for her little palate -she loves butter.. remember she's not quite 4 yrs old yet and I have no idea about food allergies so hit me with whatever you got and I'll try em all after I run em past her Dad for any allergies.

THANKS GANG!!!!
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow's a Mystery ~ Today is a Gift...
    That is why they call it THE PRESENT

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Kombucha would be an option too if she liked it. I gave some to my son once to cure a tummy ache and it seemed to work.

OH! Thanks Daemonized, I forgot about that one- So did you just get a commercially available one, or what? I've never had it, what's it taste like?
    Yesterday is History

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    The kind that I fed to him was GT Dave's but I have since learned to brew my own. Kombucha tastes kind of like slightly sweet fizzy vinegar. The taste is different but tends to grow on you quickly.

Very cool- it's not hard to brew is it?

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    Why not just give her comprehensive probiotics to jump-start things?!
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Well, Tara.. I was thinking foods only because she's not a pill swallower and I was imagining comprehensive probiotics as coming in pill or capsule form. Am I wrong? PLUS I would like her to understand how the things she eats will affect her and build on that concept as she grows. But if the probiotics come in a powder or liquid form I guess that'd be the easiest and most awesome way to do it.
    Yesterday is History

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Kids can usually swallow an M&M size pill if they put it at the back of their mouth, and use a straw to drink something... It just "disappears"

Pink eye, very contagious, Does she get a new pillowcase at night? Can also be associated with poop... I know... gross. But hand washing after every potty trip is important. Whether she goes or not... just touching a toilet that has someone elses crap... YUCK!

If she lost her mom... (very sorry to hear that, what a heart breaking situation), her little body is easily under stress with all the emotion.

Best of luck to you and the little one... (maybe a pink milkshake with keifer, strawberries (I like frozen organic, they are usually the sweetest), and coconut oil...maybe some fage yogurt)

Thanks twinmama- Great tip with using a straw, never thought of that and i'll check on pillowcases with her dad, but she's a big time handwasher (loves bubbles and I taught her how to blow really big ones with hand soap as she washes) so not sure about the 'poopy paws'... Oh, but that sounds like a yummy beverage so it's going on the list.

MORE PLEASE!!................

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    Ahhhh I see. Have you thought of trying to do your own yogurt products at home? You usually get a lot more variety that way! I know that yogurt/filmjolk/skyr/viili/etc all have some overlapping and different strains of lactobacilli. Kefir is yeast and bacteria. I would look into that! You would be maximizing her exposure to all sorts of little (good) buggies!

With that said, I would still think about doing a probiotic jump-start if you could...?

Does she eat a lot of grains/sugar?
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast