Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones - GOT fever? page 33

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    I am currently nearly in the middle of the third book, and have watched the first season...
    Hmm... give it time.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Do you read... or are you just a watcher?
    Lol, the subtle discrimination "readers" have towards "watchers"!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Hmm... give it time.
    OK... but it will be hard to make up for what he did in the second book......

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Lol, the subtle discrimination "readers" have towards "watchers"!
    Ahh, I know... sorry.

But there is such a huge difference in the characters.
    There is much more to the Theon character as written in the books than as depicted as written for the screen.

Literary subtlety simply trumps screen editing in nearly every case that has ever occurred, or likely ever will. IMO.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    OK... but it will be hard to make up for what he did in the second book......
    I think Theon is weak, as opposed to evil. He overrode his natural instincts and allowed himself to be dominated by his father and Ramley.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I think Theon is weak, as opposed to evil. He overrode his natural instincts and allowed himself to be dominated by his father and Ramley.
    I think he is human. Taken from his home and effectively held prisoner (though treated well), finally returns home and is basically straight up called a loser/pos/weakling by his father, upstaged by his sister, ignored by the men he will one day theoretically be the ruler of, and ridiculed for being weak/not a real kraken because his father lost a war and got him stuck with the Starks for 10 years. Baylon is an idiot and decided to take it out on Theon who then reacted badly, but even then he was not a bad guy. He really did try to treat the people of Winterfell well (they forced his hand - correctly, but they did), and he didn't kill Bran and Rickon. Basically all he did was try to save face. So I would say Theon was more immature than evil. And yeah, he gets f*cked over hard so really it is hard not to feel bad for Theon.

And subtle discrimination YB? Nah, nothing subtle about it

Edit: Theon gets lots of grief but what about Sansa? She kisses up to Joffrey, marries a Lanister, and gets her father killed. She killed a Stark. Theon didn't. Not to mention what she is up to now, which I will not mention due to spoilers for the watcher folks
    Last edited by canio6; 06-26-2013 at 05:25 AM.

You ARE the King of Spoilerage Canio... doooooo eeettttt!

LAWLS>

Jk.

Anyway... this is what I LIKE about GRRM chars. They are all so human. No matter how "good" or "bad" a character is they are complicated. They are immature, or torn between two families with two different belief systems that they can't really fully understand and just trying to do the best they can and failing miserably, as humans sometimes do.
    Sometimes the "good guys" are so selfish or myopic they get their entire army/self/mother/wife murdered... they are all a mixture of positive traits and horrible faults. It's beautiful.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

canio6 Guest
    You ARE the King of Spoilerage Canio... doooooo eeettttt!

LAWLS>

Jk.

Anyway... this is what I LIKE about GRRM chars. They are all so human. No matter how "good" or "bad" a character is they are complicated. They are immature, or torn between two families with two different belief systems that they can't really fully understand and just trying to do the best they can and failing miserably, as humans sometimes do.
    Sometimes the "good guys" are so selfish or myopic they get their entire army/self/mother/wife murdered... they are all a mixture of positive traits and horrible faults. It's beautiful.
    I wear my crown proudly. House Canio our words are "Read the f*cking books already"

Very well put reference the characters. It is one reason I like the point-of-view chapter style - you get to relate/understand many things from the character's point of view. Many of the good guys do stupid or selfish things - looking at you Rob Stark - (even more so in the show - damn I was happy when she got spoilered for those still catching up on the show.) And speaking of horrible traits, Holy f*ck Dany, really? Really? The entire last book I wanted her to DIAF.

Zach is offline Banned
    I also love the point of view chapters. Briennes journey post Jamie was one of my favorite side stories. Also Arya.

I should just reread the books for fun.

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I also love the point of view chapters. Briennes journey post Jamie was one of my favorite side stories. Also Arya.

I should just reread the books for fun.
    Yup, I should as well. Both Brienne/Jaime and Arya are great.

Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast