Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones - GOT fever? page 16

canio6 Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    I'm also waiting for the third in a series written by Patrick Rothfuss. The first two are The Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear. The third, The Doors of Stone is in progress. The name of his series is the Kingkiller Chronicle.
    Yes, I am waiting for the third as well, though to be honest, I almost stopped after the first as I was not impressed (yes, apparently I am the only one who wasn't). I thought the second book was much better. If the third continues that trend it should be great.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Yes, I am waiting for the third as well, though to be honest, I almost stopped after the first as I was not impressed (yes, apparently I am the only one who wasn't). I thought the second book was much better. If the third continues that trend it should be great.
    NotW had it's bad moments. There was a part of Kvothe's interaction with the girl, who's name I can't recall that was totally boring and unnecessary, I really think I just skimmed over that part. My son also didn't care for that part of the book.

canio6 Guest
    NotW had it's bad moments. There was a part of Kvothe's interaction with the girl, who's name I can't recall that was totally boring and unnecessary, I really think I just skimmed over that part. My son also didn't care for that part of the book.
    Honestly, my biggest issue with it was that I just didn't care. Who is Kvothe? Who gives a f*ck? It is almost as if the author said, "This guy is a big deal; trust me. Now read these books so I can explain how he became a big deal." Oh, he killed some spiders...cool...yeah, who cares?

I am very glad I kept reading though.

Honestly, my biggest issue with it was that I just didn't care. Who is Kvothe? Who gives a f*ck? It is almost as if the author said, "This guy is a big deal; trust me. Now read these books so I can explain how he became a big deal." Oh, he killed some spiders...cool...yeah, who cares?

I am very glad I kept reading though.
    Yup.

I've really been looking for something to sink my teeth into lately. Servant of a Dark God was probably the last book I read like that, only to find out the author was still writing the next book in the series.

Kind of lost interest in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. The last of the series actually written by him, I found unreadable.

The last few years, I've been venturing more and more into horror. Still can't seem to find anybody to outdo Stephen King, for the most part.
    Read Dan Brown's Inferno - it was okay.

canio6 Guest
    Yup.

I've really been looking for something to sink my teeth into lately. Servant of a Dark God was probably the last book I read like that, only to find out the author was still writing the next book in the series.

Kind of lost interest in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. The last of the series actually written by him, I found unreadable.

The last few years, I've been venturing more and more into horror. Still can't seem to find anybody to outdo Stephen King, for the most part.
    Read Dan Brown's Inferno - it was okay.
    I gave up on WoT about book 7 or 8 when I realized I just wanted all the main characters to die a horrible, painful, and hopefully lingering death.

Sadly, I am not much into horror so can't help there.

For fantasy I am enjoying Daniel Abraham's Dragon's Path series (the first two are out - not sure about the third). Admittedly one of the characters annoys me to hell, but as a whole it is decent and a departure from the norm.

Ever read Zelazny's Amber books. I read Nine Princes in Amber when I was in 7th grade and it was the first real adult fantasy book that I read and it was fantastic. I picked it up on a whim when my dad took me to a book store.

I'll have to look into Abraham.
    Last edited by Lynna; 06-05-2013 at 12:34 PM.

canio6 Guest
    Ever read Zelazny's Amber books. I read Nine Princes in Amber when I was in 7th grade and it was the first real adult fantasy book that I read and it was fantastic.
    No, I missed those completely. Hmm...I will have to look them up. Thanks!

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I toughed through all existing books a few years ago in under 6 months. It was intense. I skipped a LOT of sections. I did feel that the last few books, worked on by Brandon Sanderson after the original author's death, were much more concise. I was happy with the series' resolution.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I gave up on WoT about book 7 or 8 when I realized I just wanted all the main characters to die a horrible, painful, and hopefully lingering death.

Sadly, I am not much into horror so can't help there.

For fantasy I am enjoying Daniel Abraham's Dragon's Path series (the first two are out - not sure about the third). Admittedly one of the characters annoys me to hell, but as a whole it is decent and a departure from the norm.
    My hubby loves WoT and doesn't understand why I lost interest after 1st 5or 6. I loathed the main female leads aside from Moiraine and some of the other Aes Sedai. I like Mat Cauthon but the dialogue for Nynaeve made me want to burn the books, why waste LAN on that? Ugh.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I toughed through all existing books a few years ago in under 6 months. It was intense. I skipped a LOT of sections. I did feel that the last few books, worked on by Brandon Sanderson after the original author's death, were much more concise. I was happy with the series' resolution.
    It was somewhere after book 8 or 9 or 10 that just killed it for me, can't remember which. I'd really like to try finishing the series.....someday.

Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast