Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones - GOT fever? page 15

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    And space... those books are small mountains
    kindle ftw.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Just read this article with writer George R.R. Martin about yesterday's episode. Oh Shit, I Totally Forgot That Happens! | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Best line of the interview:

Hell, those books were written a long time ago; you can’t expect me to remember every last detail. Sure, I’m an executive producer on the show and they send me all the scripts on these things, but I never read them. Those things are full of spoilers.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Just read this article with writer George R.R. Martin about yesterday's episode. Oh Shit, I Totally Forgot That Happens! | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Best line of the interview:

that was awesome.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Probably <redacted> leaving with Little Finger or Little Finger's doings at the Aerie.
    Can't wait for that! It is so hard to post in this thread. I've been avoiding it because I read all of the books and who knows what casual spoiler might slip out. BTW, I think the only reason GRRM even finished the 5th book was due to HBO pressure. So, hopefully, he'll get the 6th one done (which according to him is the 2nd half of book 5) in less than 10 years lol. I can't even make myself read the Wild Cards series or any of the other middling crap he wrote while not working on GOT cause it pissed me off so much that he left us hanging. Thank god for HBO - I will be super pissed if he dies before finishing this series. I hope he has extensive notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    Can't wait for that! It is so hard to post in this thread. I've been avoiding it because I read all of the books and who knows what casual spoiler might slip out. BTW, I think the only reason GRRM even finished the 5th book was due to HBO pressure. So, hopefully, he'll get the 6th one done (which according to him is the 2nd half of book 5) in less than 10 years lol. I can't even make myself read the Wild Cards series or any of the other middling crap he wrote while not working on GOT cause it pissed me off so much that he left us hanging. Thank god for HBO - I will be super pissed if he dies before finishing this series. I hope he has extensive notes.
    From what I understand he wrote book 5 then had to rewrite the entire thing. Originally he aged all the characters 10 years (kind of a blah blah happens...) and then took up the story again. Then he realized that didn't work and ahd to redo things. As for Wild Cards, IIRC he wrote the originals for that years ago and now just edits the books which are stories written by others in the Wild Card world he created (though I could be mistaken). If you get a chance pick up Dreamsongs 1 and 2, which are collections of his short stories/writings from back when he first started up until today. Also, definitely read the Dunk and Egg stories, which are set in Westeros about 100 years prior to ASOIAF.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I'm stil traumatised by episode 9 I went to sleep last night with the images running through my head, and even today it keeps popping into my mind, accompanied by the words: "I can't believe it".

I think I may have a problem.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    i'm actually contemplating re-reading the first 5 books. then I might dive in to those dunk and egg stories.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I'm definitely going to get Dunk and Egg stories, I didn't know he had done anything else with Westeros - thanks for the recommendation! I'm also going to get the entire 5 book Kindle bundle - it's about time for a re-read.

The stories (Dunk and Egg) are a bit spread out. I believe the first D&E is in Dreamsongs vol 2. Then there is one in the anthology Warriors (edited by Martin and actually well worth the read even though he only wrote one story). The other D&E was in an anthology edited by Robert Silverberg IIRC. If they were smart they would put them all in one book, but I am unaware that they have done so. Perhaps check to see if they are available online anywhere?

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    The first story I read by Martin was The Hedge Knight. It was in The Legends anthology edited by Robert Silverberg and published in 1998. It is also, I have learned, the first story in the Tales of Dunk and Egg. I really liked the story.

A Game of Thrones was my next GRRM book and I really can't recall why I decided to read it. It was published in 1996. After that, A Clash of Kings (1998) was already published and by the time I had finished them, A Storm of Swords came out in 2000. I guess I was spoiled somewhat having been able to read all three in fairly close succession, it was really difficult waiting for A Feast for Crows (2005) and the A Dance with Dragons (2011). The time between each book is getting longer. I remember a lot of the broad plots, but I recently decided to go back and re-read them.

I'm also waiting for the third in a series written by Patrick Rothfuss. The first two are The Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear. The third, The Doors of Stone is in progress. The name of his series is the Kingkiller Chronicle.

Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast