Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: North American Fashion page

ez2cy is offline Senior Member

North American Fashion

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How is it that I have a 41 inch waist, 39.5 inch hips and yet...I can squeeze into a 34 inch waist jean? I know it's tight..but I still can where a 36" waist jean that I need a belt......but the ass is so baggy I look like some young gun at the mall! LOL

Does this make any sense?

When I do get down to a 34" waist, ....will I be wearing 28" jeans?
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    From what I understand, this kind of phenomenon is called "vanity sizing." Usually seen more in women's clothing but I suppose men's clothing isn't immune either. Supposedly over the course of time clothing companies have started making clothing bigger and bigger with smaller corresponding size numbers. For example, what used to be a size 12 might be considered a size 8 now etc etc. This is probably the case with your pants. The tag may say 34, but the actual measurements are much bigger, as you have found out.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, vanity sizing an all, man's jeans should be whatever inches waist and then there is the length too. Like for instance 34W x 32L. Then there are the different cuts. Boot cut, refular fit, relaxed, etc.

I don't know if mans sizes have expanded that much, but in the ladies department is kindof ridiculous. Today's size 2 is more like size 6 or 8 of years ago. And then they vary so much from one manufacturer to another. Whatever will get the sales up, i guess.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    I have jeans that range in size from 2 to 9. Many stores don't carry jeans small enough for me, yet I am average height and in the middle of the "healthy" weight range for my height. I'm 30 and have the choice of paying too much at Express or shopping in the juniors section and looking like a hooker.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The hooker thing seems very popular lately.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    My boyfriend is Asian and not big, but hardly skinny. He wears size 28 28 size jeans, which they don't seem to sell anymore in the men's department. 40 28 sure. He has to buy a 16 husky.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    I am jealous of my asian friends that can shop in the children's section of nice stores. I'm slightly too big for that and have to pay more for the same thing in the juniors section. Oh well, this fall I'll be in friend's wedding and I'll probably be the tallest female in the bridal party. I haven't felt tall since I lived in Honolulu.

wiltondeportes Guest
    I've found the opposite. I wear 38s when I'm about a 32 waist. It could just be body type.

I bet you have a small butt and thighs, so your waist can "steal" the extra room due to this.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 03-30-2013 at 01:08 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'm a NZ size 10 "junior" as I go to a young-person's clothing shop. This supposedly corresponds to a size 8 junior in the US or a size 6 women's. But, most of my US clothing is labeled size 4 (women's).

I reckon that I'm really just a US women's size 8 or so (using the sizing from the dressmaker's stuff from the 1950s) and that it would be tailored into my hourglass.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Clothes for women at discount retailers are cut for wheat bellies. I don't even bother, with a relatively small waist, and big thighs and arms, to shop at Target or Old Navy anymore. It won't fit.

Menswear is similarly cut. My husband has a beer belly....shirts still hang off of him.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast