Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: North American Fashion page 3

Heliotrope is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have kept pieces of clothing from my college days (I'm 51) because they are classics. A size 10 women's skirt by Evan Picone from that era has a 26-inch waist! It is still too tight on me to wear now, even though I'm wearing a lot of "size 4" stuff. Vanity sizing indeed! And the clothes were made a lot better then, too.

My rule of thumb before ordering from a new clothing company is this: If you see a size 0 listed, that means vanity sizing is in strong effect.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    1975 5'5", 156 pounds - size 12-14.
    2008 5'5", 150 pounds size 8.
    Same woman, virtually the same waist and hip measurement.

Now that the clothing manufacturers have created a size 0 that basically fits the size 6 of the past, what the hell are they going to do if the general population continues to get fatter? "Comes in size negative 6 to 22W."

Posting at the same time.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah.... I fit into a pair of size 10 jeans this weekend. They fit my frankenthighs and were "skinny cut" and gapped a bit at the waist. I am not a small girl by any means. I'm not ashamed of this, but I feel really bad for the women out there that are tiny.

It's crazy- people really are getting bigger. One thing that never used to go to plus size were horseback riding clothes. If you were above a 12, there was nothing for you. Now they sell riding breeches well into the 24W realm. That such a niche market of athletic wear now has entire manufacturers making plus sizes is a little sad.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    At least if they were standardized, you'd know. But in some stores sizes all run large, while some online stores sell clothes one or more sizes smaller. At least if you're there in person you can try something on. Online, there's no way of knowing.

I feel like that stores that sell extended sizes, but don't carry them in store have the worst vanity sizing. Loft is like that. They won't sell anything bigger than a 12 or 14 in a lot of stores, yet online go up to 18, and their clothes run very large and don't relate to the listed measurements online.

The weirdest thing is that they seem to be vanity sizing shoes now. I swear, I used to be a 9.5 in some shoes, now I end up in 8's and even 7.5's in a lot of cases. I haven't needed a 9 in a couple of years....

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I feel like that stores that sell extended sizes, but don't carry them in store have the worst vanity sizing. Loft is like that. They won't sell anything bigger than a 12 or 14 in a lot of stores, yet online go up to 18, and their clothes run very large and don't relate to the listed measurements online.
    It seems like the listed measurements online aren't very closely related to the garment fit anyway.

The weirdest thing is that they seem to be vanity sizing shoes now. I swear, I used to be a 9.5 in some shoes, now I end up in 8's and even 7.5's in a lot of cases. I haven't needed a 9 in a couple of years....
    I used to be a 7-1/2W. When I was heavy, I found it impossible to buy comfortable women's shoes, and just ended up wearing men's running shoes all the time. Now I am an 8 regular and almost all shoes that size fit me comfortably.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    How come I'm not getting bigger? all my clothes from hs still fit
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Incindiary is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    It's crazy- people really are getting bigger. One thing that never used to go to plus size were horseback riding clothes. If you were above a 12, there was nothing for you. Now they sell riding breeches well into the 24W realm. That such a niche market of athletic wear now has entire manufacturers making plus sizes is a little sad.
    I'm curious what the typical Size 24 person weighs. As a general rule, a horse of average weight and frame size shouldn't carry more than 20 -25% of it's body weight, including rider and tack. So, a 1000 lb horse shouldn't be asked to carry more than 200-250 lbs. A larger, stouter horse can obviously handle more rider.

I'm not trying to hate on the larger riders; I'm just hoping they're cognizant of their weight and are choosing sturdier mounts to accomodate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Incindiary View Post
    I'm curious what the typical Size 24 person weighs.
    When I was 2X or 20W I weighed about 215.

PrimalCon New York
    I'm just hoping they're cognizant of their weight and are choosing sturdier mounts to accomodate them.
    A lot of popularity with drafts/draft crosses/warmbloods. I think most female riders are pretty self conscious about their size/horse ratio.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast