Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal fundamentalism page

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member

Primal fundamentalism

Primal Fuel
    A conversation I had today with a primal acquaintance really got me thinking.

I ran into him on my way home from the grocery store. He was surprised to see a bag of puffed rice cereal in my shopping bag (not sugary Rice Krispies, but these -- straight up puffed rice Product: Cold Cereals - Quaker Puffed Rice Cereal | QuakerOats.com ). I told him I buy them and eat a cup or two when I'm craving cereal, because they're a way better alternative to the sugary cereal I ate as a kid. (I should note that 1 cup of puffed rice = about 1/3 cup regular rice).

He was really bothered by the whole "rice is a grain" thing, and (although he acknowledged that it's a primal-approved one) really seemed to think I was breaking all the rules. "Buy a bag of mixed nuts and fruit, roast them with honey, then you have primal cereal", he said.

I told him he was being ridiculous. Why would I eat something with five times the sugar and five times the calories just to fit the primal "rules" to a T? Wasn't that dogmatic to the point of being anti-productive?

People talk about vegans being blind followers, but wow...

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    You might enjoy this post by Kurt Harris Proof that orthorexia exists
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    You might enjoy this post by Kurt Harris Proof that orthorexia exists
    He hit the nail right on the head.
    And Mark himself said, "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good"...

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, your friend's reaction wasn't at all logical. Why would Mark Sisson write the foreword fr the Perfect Healh Diet's latest book if he himself believed the Jaminets' 1-lb of starch a day, including rice, guidelines were wrong and harmful? I don't think he'd put his primal reputation on the line for something even he didn't see as being a viable variation of healthy eating.

Nuts are not cereal, and eating 800 calories worth for a cereal craving is... Nuts.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Yep, and it's happening in other things also. People rejecting medicine completely, though I'm not sure what these people would do if they broke a bone. While I agree that doctors are too quick to prescribe meds to treat symptoms rather than addressing the problem, I also think rejecting them completely is as whacked as listening to them blindly.

We've seen posts here on these forums that claim moderation is a cop out. I think there are valid situations for moderation. I think the world isn't always black and white and that grey is a valid color.

The OP's friend's response was silly. If white rice is okay, so is rice cereal (assuming no weird stuff in the cereal), and so is rice flour. Most fundies of any sort are lacking something in their lives. But sadly, too often what they lack is the ability to think for themselves.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    People are irrationally attached to all sorts of crazy, unhealthful diets. So what's new? Sometimes it's just a matter of degrees.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    To me, I guess I would judge the situation on how strict your Primal acquaintance has had to be to either get healthy or stay healthy. See, I have a daughter on the SCD diet (Specific Carbohydrate Diet), and we had to stay stupidly strict with her on it for a good, long while to get that kid healthy, and she did, thank goodness. But we have found that we simply cannot stray from that degree of strictness more than a weensie bit, or the old stuff starts to happen again. So - yeah, I have become a flag-waving fan of strict as far as the SCD goes, just because that is my reality with it.

As far as Primal, here on the MDA I have read everything from folks who do complete near-SAD, off-Primal benders what seems like every whole weekend, to unhealthy folks showing Herculean will who need to be strict as hell to overcome their challenges. If your acquaintance was one of the ones who had to battle mightily, I can understand the comment.

How did you respond? I am curious.

And yeah, there is still the possibility that he is an orthorexic pain in the ass. I just wanted to give you a perspective from someone who has to be on the anal-retentive side of food for her kid's sake, and tends to be like him because of it.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Aren't you the same as him with your irrational fear of sugar?
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Aren't you the same as him with your irrational fear of sugar?
    Considering how tenaciously you cling to a way of eating that according to all measures is disordered, you're hardly one to make judgments.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    People like to judge. Quaker Puff Rice Cereal is not primal. But you enjoy it and it obviously agrees with you. But there are "primal" people that would attack the primal cereal option.

Mostly, people like to be right and "secure" in what they are doing. It helps to criticize others, I suppose. I also think people enjoy being "food martyrs" and revel in their ability to restrict themsleves. Mostly the problem is them, not you.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast