Thread: I guess I should say Hi! page

Salixisme is offline Member

I guess I should say Hi!

Hi!

Now that is over, I suppose I should also say a bit about me.

I am a 40something married mother of 4 girls (age 14, 12, 10 and 8). We live in Calgary Ab. with a big dog (a boxer) and a grumpy elderly male cat (he is the archetypal grumpy old man!).

I work full time as a massage therapist in a very busy pain management and soft tissue injury rehab clinic and absolutely LOVE my job as it gives me the opportunity to really make a difference in peoples lives - it is the best feeling in the world when I have been working on a patient and then they turn round at the end and say "you know what, my pain is gone!"

I dabbled with Paleo several years ago, and found it entirely too difficult to manage at the time so we gave up on it. Since then, we have been trying to follow a clean eating diet (albeit with with grains/carbs included), and it was working well, but the hubby (who is very overweight) was not loosing weight on it (I blame the late night snacks of several slices of toast!).

Then I found the Primal Blueprint, read it and decided that I at least would give it a go for myself at least. Now I don't need to loose masses of weight (at 5'8", I weigh 150lb and am well within the normal BMI for my height). But I could do with loosing a few lb, toning up one heck of a lot and generally getting fitter. Plus, I have always suspected that I have a slight gluten/grain intolerance as eating wheat/grains does make me feel bloated and sluggish. Add in a dairy allergy (I am very allergic to casein), and it seemed like a good idea to overhaul my diet, eat healthy and maybe do some exercise. I seriously need to do something about my abs - after having 4 children, they are virtually non-existent!

I do a very physical job where I am on my feet all day, everyday (A 40 hour workweek) so I get plenty of gentle cardio, but I am exhausted when I get home from work and never have the energy or time to do traditional workouts. And so the Primal style ones appeal to me.

Anyhow, I decided to start off small by replacing our evening meals with primal style ones that the entire family can eat. After the first week, I started taking leftovers of the evening meal for work myself and eating a primal style breakfast (usually a smoothie as I can drink that on my way to work). So far, it has been almost 3 weeks, and I feel great - plenty of energy, hardly ever hungry, and all the little aches and pains that I had have gone. And my mood has improved immensely as well.

After seeing how well I was doing, Hubby decided that he would join me - for him, it has been almost a week. I am still having trouble persuading the kids that they might also want to eat this way all the time, but they do get a primal evening meal so I am not worrying quite so much about breakfast and lunch as I still know that what they are having is "clean" thanks to our previous foray in clean eating that I have maintained for the "non-primal" items that the girls eat.

Oh and I should also add, my interest in this way of life initially started because I have a general interest in all things nutrition - before I trained in massage therapy I had a strong background in nutrition - I have a degree in Nutrition and Physiology and a PhD in Nutritional Biochemistry.

Sorry for the long post

Salixisme
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi Salixisme and welcome. I'm glad you are finding such success with primal and it's very exciting that you also have your husband on board, I hope he soon starts to feel well and lose the excess weight.

I'm very interested to know how this programme fits with what you have studied in nutritional biochemistry??

Annie from Down Under

Salixisme is offline Member
    Hi Annie

As far as the Nut Biochem goes, I specialized in laying hens and I was looking at calcium and phosphorus nutrition and how it affects egg quality (both shell thickness and the internal quality of the egg). There is a big drive in the commercial egg production industry to reduce the phosphorus levels in the diet. But I found that you cannot do that and expect to achieve the same high levels of production and quality.

I found that if you reduce the phosphorus content of the diet even slightly, you get a massive increase in bloodspots in the eggs (blood spots are NOT fertilized eggs - they are caused by a small bleed at around the point of ovulation). And if the calcium to phosphorus ratios deviate too much from the ideal (I can't remember off the top of my head what this is), you get thin shells in the eggs and the hens leg bones become weak - they can literally "go off their legs" and not be able to stand.

It did convince me that you should not try to mess with nature - if an animal has a certain requirement for something in their diet, trying to reduce it is not a good idea!

As far as any correlations with primal eating goes - a lot of what I was focusing on was phytate phosphorus - it absolutely does reduce the availability of other minerals in the diet.

But I have no idea why it never occurred to me that the phytates that I was eating in the grains in my diet would be doing the same thing to me....

The other thing my research convinced me of was that I would never eat commercially produced chicken meat or eggs ever again.... I know exactly what kind of things they put in the birds diets! For me it is organic all the way, preferably small producer and free-range.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi Salixisme, thanks for your reply. Your studies do sound interesting.

Regarding reducing a creature's food requirement. After I changed over to primal I realised that for over 20 years, in my efforts to be both frugal and healthy, I'd been basically diluting the nutritional value of my family's food. Makes me so sad now.

I wonder if this revelation was similar to your delayed understanding regarding phytates.

Going more organic is one of my next steps.

Thanks again for your post.

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome Salixisme! I know you will be a valuable member of the forum.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial