Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eat when hungry vs. eat to build mass page

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member

Question Eat when hungry vs. eat to build mass

Primal Fuel
    Quick thoughts?

PB says eat when you're hungry, end of don't overload your system and be efficient with food.

But im really skinny and doing some weights so build mass, I've heard many emphasize to up your calories loads and make nutrients abundantly availible, "eating is training" in a case like mine apparently lol

Help thanks

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/gain-...-build-muscle/

No one would ever call the Primal Blueprint a protein-sparing plan, but you’re going to have to eat even more than before. Stuff yourself. I always say that body composition is 80% diet, and that goes for putting on mass as well as losing fat. You need to provide plenty of protein for all those hormones to synthesize, after all.

* Never let your protein intake go lower than 1g/lb of body weight when you are aiming to add long-term muscle. It’s the building block of muscle, and your body is going to be starving for it.
    * Eat plenty of saturated and monounsaturated fat. Fat blunts insulin secretion while increasing testosterone production. Insulin may be useful for stuffing your muscles full of glycogen, but that’s not what you’re going for… right?
    * Dietary fat, in conjunction with all the GH you’ll be producing, also spares muscle wasting.
    * You may have heard of the popular GOMAD method – Gallon of Milk a Day for easy mass-building. It undoubtedly works, but a gallon of milk isn’t exactly Primal and I can’t recommend it. Instead of milk, why not a dozen eggs a day? ADEAD? If you can manage it, eating them on top of your regularly scheduled meals is a great source of affordable protein, fat, and vitamins (Vitamin A in particular may have pro-anabolic effects).
    * Eat often. If you’re going for pure size and strength, fasted workouts and skipped PWO meals may not be the ticket. You’ll burn more fat with the extra GH secretion and existing muscle will be spared, but you may be missing the chance at prime protein synthesis when you fast. A PWO meal of protein and fat will still blunt the insulin secretion and provide fuel for your muscles.
    * Increase caloric intake. You’re going to be expending so much energy on the lifts (and you’ll continue to burn through it even on rest days) while eating clean, Primal foods (and keeping insulin low as ever) that fat accumulation shouldn’t be an issue at all. Eat!
    * On those days when you do expend a ton of energy – maybe on your metcon or sprint day – having a Primal-friendly starch, like squash or sweet potato, is a decent way to replenish depleted glycogen stores.
    * Eat a big piece of fatty meat every single day. Steak, whole chicken, lamb leg, organs, whatever. Just eat a solid piece of animal flesh for a powerful protein infusion on a daily basis.
    * A hardgainer is often someone who doesn’t eat enough. Sure, genes play a role, but you can ultimately have a significant say in how those genes rebuild you. To a point. Eat more and lift harder to grab the reins.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Here's how I see it. Building lots of muscle mass is unnatural, so you will have to do unnatural things to achieve it. Ideally I would be zero carb all the time, but being a power-lifter, I do carb re-feeds once a week. It's mostly about your priorities.

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    PB says eat when you're hungry, end of don't overload your system and be efficient with food.

But im really skinny and doing some weights so build mass, I've heard many emphasize to up your calories loads and make nutrients abundantly availible, "eating is training" in a case like mine apparently lol
    I had a similar issue. I'm already lean enough, and was looking to add muscle mass. Yet my appetite was small, and with all the PB-friendly fat and protein I was eating, I would easily fill up on 1,800 calories a day (well below my maintenance level). I found it extremely uncomfortable and unpleasant to force myself to eat more.

I abandoned my "eating is training" efforts and just let things work themselves out. A few weeks after I started regularly strength training, my appetite had naturally increased. I'm now consuming almost 50% more calories than I was before without any effort. My weight loss has stabilized, and I'm hoping to slowly put on muscle mass. My upper body is noticeably more muscular than before, so I think my stable weight implies that I'm adding muscle mass and burning fat in about equal amounts.

Here's a tip: make SURE to eat when you're hungry. It was too easy for me to ignore my hunger and just skip a meal (usually breakfast), and I did that often. Now I make a point to eat whenever I'm hungry, and that has really made a difference in getting enough calories to maintain my weight while strength training. Before I would just go to bed without snacking even if I felt a little hungry, and then wake up the next morning with no appetite. Now I go ahead and have the snack at night, and usually that makes me hungry for breakfast the next morning.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Here's how I see it. Building lots of muscle mass is unnatural, so you will have to do unnatural things to achieve it. Ideally I would be zero carb all the time, but being a power-lifter, I do carb re-feeds once a week. It's mostly about your priorities.
    Thats true. I don't think I'm gonna try to eat more but like BigL said just make sure to never ever go short. @The Big L whats your story? how long ago did you decided to start building? how lean were you to start, and how have your results been going?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    For the past few months I was purposefully eating in excess to try to gain some muscle. I was following the LeanGains 16/8 IF protocol for the most part. I definitely added some mass (~6-7 lbs since the end of January), and I think it was mostly lean, but not all. You can check out my progress pics on the Before and After pics thread. I think I might go back to just eating until I'm pleasantly full instead of overstuffed. It's just too much extra work/stress to eat so much and sometimes interferes with my sleep.

Sherryl is offline Member
    Wow, finally....Big L....you sound like me. I am a very lean person by nature and was worried about exactly what I was eating and started to lose weight (which I don't want to do), Anyway, I finally figured it out and started listening to my body and am eating when I am hungry and DON'T just skip it...which... when I am with my horses I often don't eat all day until dinner (always on weekends). Before bed I will eat a piece of dark chocolate, banana or a handful of nuts with some water. My weight seems to be holding steady too.

Also, since doing this I have noticed my stamina and weight lifting has improved enough that others are asking me what I am doing?????

Gotta love Primal !

mstrudle is offline Member
    Eat lots of fatty meat and heavy cream with some green leafy vegetables and some sweet potato after a workout.

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    @The Big L whats your story? how long ago did you decided to start building? how lean were you to start, and how have your results been going?
    Sorry, I missed this before. I started my strength training about two months ago. Early on my progress got sidetracked when I got sick in back to back weeks. But I've been pretty consistently doing 2-3 workout days per week for a little over a month.

I was already lean when I started calisthenics (6'1"/1.85 m, 150-ish lbs/68 kg) -- about 8% bodyfat -- which was about a month after I started eating PB-style. I had lost somewhere between 5-10 pounds during my first month on PB diet, and I lost another 5 or so in the next month. But since I've started working out consistently and my appetite has increased, my weight has stabilized and gone up by a kg or so.

In addition to stopping my weight loss, my progress in strength training (and upper body physique) has been very good. I've dealt with some minor injuries (see my Muscles of LEAD thread), but nothing I'm overly concerned about right now.

I've gone from a maximum of 5 chin up reps in a set two months ago, to 10 the last time I tried. During that same period I've gone from doing push up sets of 12, 8, 5 (to fatigue), to doing 15, 13, 10 with my feet elevated 2.5'/.76 m. So on paper I'm definitely improving my strength and endurance.

I don't think I'm a whole lot leaner than I was a month ago, but perhaps a bit. Looking in the mirror, my shoulder and chest muscles are noticeably bigger and more defined than they were two months ago. Abs are more defined. Biceps, triceps, and lats are modestly bigger. Shirts are tighter than they were, and pants are looser.

Think I started about a similar time (6ft 64kg 9%bodyfat), just adapting the 5x5 to suit needs, now got good deffintiion especially when I tense thanks to the diet but struggling to put on any real mass, trying to see if my weight goes up to indicate this but nothing yet, think theres a pic of me on my profile about a month ago if you wanna comment? But well done m8 with the clear progress. keep us posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast